• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woodchuck with a .177 pellet rifle???

Got any archery equipment? A broadhead would be far more effective and quiet. You're only getting about 17-18 foot pounds of energy out of a .177 pellet in that airgun; it sounds like you are skilled with it and since it is your only option a headshot would do the job, but a bad shot would not only be inhumane but could lead to a rotting carcass stinking under your shed.

If your neighbors are already OK with the airgun, maybe you could get away with using some subsonic 22lr, you'd be pushing 40 grains of lead at 1050 or so fps for around 80 foot pounds and it would be only a little louder, so they probably wouldn't even notice.

Or get a havahart, I always thought that was such a terrible name because I sure don't have much of a heart when I throw the trap with critter inside into the water to drown it...

3FBNTbR.jpg

r58YGC0.jpg

just for fun

my Dad had a trick for chucks.
He could whistle louder than anyone I know.
He's get the gun lined up and let out one of those whistles.
The buggers always stood up on their hind legs to look and blam , right in the chest.

Had one of those rodents in my yard too. I looked at the size of him and immediately decided that he was no squirrel. Put the pellet gun away. Best bet is to find his bed and block the entrances after he leaves. Worked great for me. Haven't seen him since.

I've trapped them with an apple as bait. Then once you catch one and they soil the trap you don't need more bait. Best bait seems to be groundhog poo to attract the others. Already 4 this season. Looking for number 5 this week.

Edit: This latest bastard is taunting me. Climbed up onto my bulkhead and was looking in the kitchen window. We had a good stare down. I think this is the ring leader. He wants a war...? Au revoir gopher!

Caddyshack.jpg

Last edited:
I think that woodchuck is a NES Green Member, I haven't seen the Damn thing since I posted!! Thanks for all the advice & posts. Thanks - Arlie

No pic, but mr gofer is tonight's dinner for the coyotes. Headshot with iron sights from about 40 feet with my old Rem AirMaster77 (.177 pellet @ 6-700fps)

.357 Evanix Rex rifle ( with wolf co. suppressor ) . . . . Poof! . . . . Problem solved , even with liberal neighbors.
Along the lines of this thread, I just read that Sig is now going to jump into the "big bore" air rifle market . . .along with a few other major players in the firearm biz. Given current situation about guns, I think that there is a whole wave of more powerful,quiet and lethal air weapons on the horizon . . . Even pistols are getting into the "big bore" act and that could be a very,very interesting development in reasons for personal ownership . . . .

Last edited:
This fella dropped like a sack from 30 yards away. Benjamin Nitro .177 with a magnum pellet, entered through the back exited through the head. If proper shot placement can be achieved, a heavy pellet in .177
up to 25 yards will do it, I think. Speed is crucial, anything below 1200 fps will just hurt the pest, probably.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 54
I just read that Sig is now going to jump into the "big bore" air rifle market . . .along with a few other major players in the firearm biz. Given current situation about guns, I think that there is a whole wave of more powerful,quiet and lethal air weapons on the horizon . . . Even pistols are getting into the "big bore" act and that could be a very,very interesting development in reasons for personal ownership . . . .
The anti crowd has already decided these are "Non-powder assault weapons" and is promoting regulation. RI,CT,DE are already headed down this path, as are a few other states, most notably IL and MI treat some air guns like firearms.

All this advice on pellt gun upgrades to nail a woodchuck because you can't use a rifle or pistol on your property is easily solved

Live trap and some carrots or other fruit....once you get it in the trap drive to a local WMA walk in the woods a bit and pop em between the headlights with a 22 pistol and dump em. It's actually illegal to release them alive on any property other than the property you trapped em on......if you take it somewhere else you have to kill it. If your worried about the trout troopers giving you a hard time on the WMA (don't have a hunting license for example) just fill a trash can wirth water and insert the whole trap.....then dump em in the woods. I've taken care of a few woodchucks and even a skunk this way.

Last edited:
Well all the dead ones in my garden would disagree with you Len. A decent gun shooting 1000 fps and a head shot and none of them have left the garden under their power.

I agree.

I would imagine if you could actually get a head shot it would be lights out. Unless woodchucks have some super thick skull I'm not aware of.…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe they do...:eek:

Like other members of the rodent family Sciuridae, groundhogs have exceedingly dense cerebral bones and can survive blows to the skull that would likely be fatal to other mammals of the same size.

so i guess they're sorta like moonbats.

My woodchucks are happy to see me. I feed them . I put an ear of corn in the hole where they live. They fire the cob out and ask for more. They do no damage, other than digging a home under the deck. They eat the dandelions and that's a good thing.

My woodchucks are happy to see me. I feed them . I put an ear of corn in the hole where they live. They fire the cob out and ask for more. They do no damage, other than digging a home under the deck. They eat the dandelions and that's a good thing.
If the woodchucks I had kept it to that I'd have no problems. But when to the dig holes to the point that your shed is leaning to one side and the doors won't open because the door frames are shifted......bye bye woodchuck.

Back
Top Bottom