Woodcock Opener?

Anyone getting out for the woodcock opener? This will be my first season with a gun dog and I'm pretty excited to get him on some wild birds. We've been training with a NAVHDA group in NH and he did great on his Natural Ability test. Not sure if they've migrated down to Mass yet, but we'll be out there looking for them on Wednesday!

Good luck. [thumbsup] Back in the day, (when Woodcock and grouse season opened on October tenth and grouse stayed open to the end of the year), I used to hear them peenting across the street from my bedroom window. (Before they built the subdivision.) My wife saw one in the backyard a few years ago (before they built the other subdivision), so there are probably still a few around. (Unlike grouse, which I believe became extinct in eastern Massachusetts some time in the 1980s.) Even sold my 28 gauge Daly o/u...[sad]

I shot one years ago while partridge hunting at Martin Burns. The only thing that was worse than the taste of that bird was the smell while I cooked it. FYI: stay away from birds whose main diet consists of worms!

I've always found it more enjoyable just watching the dog work than anything else. I had a German Wirehair, she would never let me down. She pointed two partridge one season and I missed an easy double. She stopped, looked over her shoulder at me, put her head down and went back to the truck and gave up. So I guess I always let her down. Have fun and just watch the time and effort you've both put in.

I wish I was going out. Work precludes it. Hopefully I'll get to take a shot or two at them during the pheasant opener on the 14th.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom