Workbench: Build or Buy

What say you?

Currently clearing a bunch of crap from the basement that we didn't so much as touch since we moved in two years ago. I should be able to carve out a nice space for work: Basic smithing and reloading.

I need a bench though.

Buy or build?

If you want to drive down to the 781 I have a wooden industrial TV base looking for a purpose. Plywood and Slightly smaller than the steel carcass in my bench build thread you commented on, I think it's about 29x55. The casters are off of it, but I'll throw them in if you take the box.
I'll get dimensions shortly, and try to get some sense of whether it's been effected by having been outside under the eves for the last few days...

If you have the imagination, talent, the tools, and time... Build it. Gather ideas and build it.

This. My son built a bench in his garage in a day or two. He doesn't reload, but it would be a good bench for doing that. Bench1.jpg

I don't remember where he got the plans, but if you're interested I can ask him.

In jtnf's thread, someone (cyberlogic, innerlogic?) posted the plans and pictures to the bench they built. It looks good.

Free for the taking, a bottom-half of this guy:
http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/BarcoRetroData801s_Brochure.pdf

Page 7 shows the whole thing. The one I have is the woodgrain, not the black.
The dimensions are 54 1/4 wide, 26 deep, and 31 1/2 tall (not on the casters, which will add perhaps three inches.)
Combine that with this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50106773/ or this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10263779/#/50263777 and this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50180027/#/90180025 and you'll be done for the cost of the round trip plus $120.

How far up the 603 are you?

Google "NHMA reloading bench plans" very solid and simple to build. I modified my build to about 1/3 its length to fit my spot. Being able to secure the bench to wall or floor adds a lot of stability.

The pine bench is all 2x6 inclubing the top not your best for a rigid platform. I will guess its all power nailed together.
The blue steel bench looks just like my old bench now at my moms. Solid and heavy.
if you build it with bolts and screws it will be easier to move or modify if needed. The working hieght of the bench is one of the first things you need to figure.....I like to stand while loading.
There is a reloading bench section here somewhere?

On any of those, if you box them in with 3/4 plywood, that will stiffen them up a lot and weigh them down.

If you want to make a durable top, glue up a sandwich of a 3/4 plywood (get the subfloor type with the one smooth side), 3/4 particle board and then a layer of 1/2" MDF on top. Then edge it with either maple or oak (screw and glue after ripping the whole thing square and flush).

If you put 4 or 5 coats of urethane on, it'll stand up very well.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Articles/Sealer-for-MDF-Benchtop-7236.aspx

One of the bench build threads here showed a cool space saving top, where layered ply had different sized cutouts to make slot-in platforms for swapping presses in and out.
Pictured here: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/hand-loaded-ammunition/243409-reloading-bench-plans.html

I really like the idea of T-slots built into the bench
wbBwXZb.jpg

To the OP: If you've got the skills, tools and time, build it yourself to fit your needs.

I considered buying one of these $70 Home Depot benches and beefing it up myself if necessary.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-...03083493?cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-203083493-_-x

Last edited:
i don't have imagination, talent OR tools and i still took these plans

and built this thing

Seriously. It doesn't take much. You'd be surprised how easy it is to build something with 2x4/4x4 and some oak plywood (or other kind of hardwood plywood). You really don't need much: drill, wood glue, wood screws, circular saw. You can get fancy and bust out routers and table saws, and seal/stain it but it's not necessary. I'd really like to build the above table one of these days, just don't have the room at the moment so I ended up building one on top of a Workmate 400, which I can collaps and put away when needed.

Last edited:
mine weighs half a metric f***ton.... makes it WAY stable....

****my basement gets water and moisture seeps up through the concrete floor....
i drilled counter-sunk holes in 4 hockey pucks and screwed them to the bottom of the legs of the bench...

girl at the store "oh? playing hockey?"
"nope, building an ammo reloading bench...."

she had no reply.....

girl at the store "oh? playing hockey?"
"nope, building an ammo reloading bench...."

she had no reply.....

Home Depot, last time we had a hurricane (2012??) I was in buying emergency preparedness supplies, several days out. My bosses boss wanted pictures of a million dollar mainframe wrapped in plastic to justify the DR project [rolleyes]
Tarps, heavy plastic, bungee cords, ratchet straps, rope, and duct tape.

Girl at the cash register said "Big project?"
I replied "No, hot date."

she had no reply either...... [rofl]

The offer of the free cabinet base applies to anyone if the OP in this thread isn't interested. I may start a Karma if there's consensus that people may be able to make use of it.

i agree with building it yourself, the secret is screws and glue and bolt it to the wall

This, and buy actual wood screws. I can't tell you how many times I've checked out of a place like Home Depot or Lowe's and see someone buying drywall screws for a wood project.

Go to home depot and look at the scrap wood pile.
Most of those pieces are good enough for a work bench if you design it correctly.

This is what I've done in my basement.

Mines more of a workstation than a bench I would say. Just a blind corner base cabinet ( wrong size was shipped and manufacturer said keep it) with a length of countertop leftover on top. Cost exactly nada.

If you have any kitchen remodelers in your area, they'd be happy to give you old stuff, less for them to throw in the dumpster. All you really need is a couple of base cabs and a length of counter to go on top.

If you build your own, just a word or two about securing it to a wall. It will make it sturdier, but it will also transfer noise and vibration into the structure of the house. ( hammering, vibratory case cleaners, etc) I built a platform in the basement for a washer and dryer, secured one end to the wall, and when im in the kitchen upstairs, it sounds like the washer is in there with me.

Mines more of a workstation than a bench I would say. Just a blind corner base cabinet ( wrong size was shipped and manufacturer said keep it) with a length of countertop leftover on top. Cost exactly nada.

If you have any kitchen remodelers in your area, they'd be happy to give you old stuff, less for them to throw in the dumpster. All you really need is a couple of base cabs and a length of counter to go on top.

If you build your own, just a word or two about securing it to a wall. It will make it sturdier, but it will also transfer noise and vibration into the structure of the house. ( hammering, vibratory case cleaners, etc) I built a platform in the basement for a washer and dryer, secured one end to the wall, and when im in the kitchen upstairs, it sounds like the washer is in there with me.

Edit to add- IMO, make it free standing, glue and screw, use plenty of diagonal bracing.

If your worried about the whole thing moving around, bolt it to the floor with some angle iron and some king of masonary anchor (if its a concrete floor), probably overkill though.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. My father just sold me his Dillon press, all set up for 9, for the price of some dies. I have a spare room, need to make some room in a corner, and make a dual purpose reload/computer bench :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom