Worth the time and money for a new handguard?

I want to change out my handguard but because of Massachusetts the brake is welded on, so I can't get the gas block off which means I can't get the barrel nut off. Does anyone have any recommendations of places that don't charge an arm and leg to remove a pinned muzzle brake, swap out to a new handguard and then weld a new muzzle brake on?

I looked at Parker Mountain Machine and they charge $300 to do it, at that price I'm just leaving it alone.
Swap out your barrel with one of these bad boys, in whatever length you want, and never worry about it again. Faxon 14.5" Gunner Profile AR15 Barrel, 556 Nato w/ Pinned 3 Port Brake

Decent budget build:

$69 free float handguard:

$99 chrome-lined SOCOM profile barrel:

Aero upper $50
Nickel Boron bolt $89

Whatever charging handle you like.

If you want to leave the existing barrel nut in place, you could go with many different FF Handguards. I've used the Troy Alpha, and it locks up pretty good.

Here is a decent deal on a NOS:

If you have a carbine gas system and an iron (A2) sight base, I just installed a KAC M4 RAS today--and that handguard is tight as shit. Not free-floating, but it is seriously good gear.

You can find them for $150 used, sometimes like-new condition. You just have to be patient.

P&S took over the contract. They're probably as good.

$135 Blem:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom