• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would it be leagal for a MA dealer to sell Ammo in NH

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
So, with the MA shops closed, would it be legal for a MA dealer who has ammo to drive north and sell it from the trunk of his car? I'm not suggesting you do this, I'm suggesting it may be worth a call to your lawyer to ask. Think about it, you need to move some inventory, you post what you're thinking of doing with instructions to PM you for time/location/stock, take some orders and drive north.

Would this be legal?

As far as Ammo goes, couldn't a shop owner just put an add in the classifies on NES and meet folks for a "private" sale? Does their FFL require that ammo be logged? I honestly really don't know. But if I decide to sell a case of ammo I can so why can't they do that? (note: I am not selling any ammo)

Waiting for MA dealers to post here........ [smile]

By drive north you mean go to NH? Once in NH, MA has no say in what happens. I have a MA license to sell ammo IN MA. What I do outside MA is my own business.

I have no idea what NH laws are for selling ammo out of my trunk

As far as Ammo goes, couldn't a shop owner just put an add in the classifies on NES and meet folks for a "private" sale? Does their FFL require that ammo be logged? I honestly really don't know. But if I decide to sell a case of ammo I can so why can't they do that? (note: I am not selling any ammo)
Sale of ammo in MA requires a MA ammo dealer license. Private individuals selling is essentially overlooked. If a dealer started selling the ammo outside their place of business, they would be violating the terms of their ammo license. A MA ammo dealer has no personal ammo to sell...

Last edited:
I think the biggest risk would be some helpful LE making a call to their licensing authority, no laws broken but could still cause a problem. NH doesn't care.

Sale of ammo in MA requires a MA ammo dealer license. Private individuals selling is essentially overlooked. If a dealer started selling the ammo outside their place of business, they would be violating the terms of their ammo license. A MA ammo dealer has no personal ammo to sell...
FIFY

By drive north you mean go to NH? Once in NH, MA has no say in what happens. I have a MA license to sell ammo IN MA. What I do outside MA is my own business.

I have no idea what NH laws are for selling ammo out of my trunk
You can get a ticket if the bumper actually drags on the street.

I don't know what the laws are for retail sale of ammo in NH are now. Back in the 90s the gov didn't care, and person to person now is unregulated.

So, with the MA shops closed, would it be legal for a MA dealer who has ammo to drive north and sell it from the trunk of his car? I'm not suggesting you do this, I'm suggesting it may be worth a call to your lawyer to ask. Think about it, you need to move some inventory, you post what you're thinking of doing with instructions to PM you for time/location/stock, take some orders and drive north.

Would this be legal?

No reason why it wouldn't be legal, I'm surprised most arent doing stuff by appointment.

I think transferring guns at other than place of business is a problem (federal garbage BS) but running around by appointment shouldn't
be.

-Mike

If a dealer started selling the ammo outside their place of business, they would be violating the terms of their ammo license. A MA ammo dealer has no personal ammo to sell...

This is actually a term of an MA dealer ammo license? "only for sale at place of business"? I presume they allowed gun shows, too?

-Mike

This is actually a term of an MA dealer ammo license? "only for sale at place of business"? I presume they allowed gun shows, too?

-Mike
Yes. also gun shows. "at any regular meeting of an incorporated collectors club or at a gun show open to the general public" MGL 140 123

MGL 140 122B

Whoever not being licensed, as hereinbefore provided, sells ammunition within the commonwealth shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years.

-Mike
I don't see how this could be enforced if the sale took place in NH. It could be a wholesale or retail transaction, there is no such thing as an Ammo Dealer in NH.

Yes. also gun shows. "at any regular meeting of an incorporated collectors club or at a gun show open to the general public" MGL 140 123

Lol so if the license is that limiting, thats why no remote dealer has an MA ammo dealer license.... [laugh]

If I was an MA FFL right now I'd be saying f*** it, and just have people come into my shop by appointment if they were buying a minimum of 200 bucks worth of ammo or something. That's another way someone could compromise. No "retail open sign" level of exposure to get flogged over, still can sell ammo.

Then again even before the Baker f***head edict went out, I think most of the smaller shops were probably blown clean of most ammo unless they had been laying down serious cash or had some shipments inbound....

-Mike

MGL 140 122B

Whoever not being licensed, as hereinbefore provided, sells ammunition within the commonwealth shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years.
Finally a misdemeanor that is not a misdafelony.

MGL 140 122B

good cite

I don't see how this could be enforced if the sale took place in NH. It could be a wholesale or retail transaction, there is no such thing as an Ammo Dealer in NH.

I agree completely, but most MA consumers are lazy townies and aren't going to drive to NH. (present company excluded, I've sold several MA members here ammo. metal things that hold ammo, plastic things that hold ammo..... while firmly on the NH side of the border. )

-Mike

MGL 140 122B

Only if caught at it. Jack.

Is there any law about giving away ammo in MA from a licensed FFL to an LTC holder? Like could you set up private appointments to buy a magazine at $XXX dollars and it comes with a free case of ammo? Although, I suppose even if that was a legit gray area, it might not be worth the scrutiny it might draw against your FFL license.

What business? You're just a person selling ammo to another person.

Back
Top Bottom