Would you buy a used police firearm?

I've been looking at them each time we go up there. One of the few I have actually tried and they fit my hand. I have been trying to decide on one of those our a 1911.[laugh]

I bought my Sig 226 from FS awhile back and I have no issues with it. They were all police dept trade-ins.. A little holster wear and etching on there but it shoots and functions just fine.

I bought a department issue Beretta 92-FS a few years ago (came with 2 "hi-cap" mags). It showed very little sign of use and I've haven't had a single problem with it.

But what Benster said about the ones at FS. I thought about it, but held off. Now I wish I had gone ahead

He had them in the second case from the wall where the ammo is. First shelf of the case is all 9mm. He said he got about 12-15 of them. They weren't priced bad either.

I would buy a Police firearm. I work at BIDMC doing security and i hear the Police side are going to .45's from .40's. They carry Glock 22's and if they switch over I will buy one of the .40's. If they actually do turn to .45s and are selling i will give a heads up.

The guy that owned my P226 before I did got it from a Police Officer (in Florida actually), it has a good deal of holster wear but little else. Shoots as straight as I can make it! And it was a bargain...

Years ago I used to live in RI and a local gun shop had a bunch of RI State Police .357 wheelguns for sale. They were in great shape.

Wish I had bought one...

A couple of years ago, I purchased a used Columbus PD 4506 and it was junk. Probaly why they've moved on to the new M&P.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a used Columbus PD 4506 and it was junk. Probaly why they've moved on to the new M&P.

I bought a PD trade-in 4506 and it was (and still is) awesome. I think mine was NYPD, but I'm not positive. It's a classic "carried a lot, shot a little" cop gun.

Jaxon, what was wrong with yours?

I traded an old revolver for an old G19 police trade in and it shoots the lights out! Hundreds of rounds at a visit and feeds flawlessly!

It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new NESmobile, or what?

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now."

Back in the early 90's when a lot of departments were unloading their wheel-guns and jumping on the DA semi-auto band waggon, I picked up several police guns for classes. Other than holster wear and way too much oil on them, there weren't any problems with any of them.

Ken

My Glock 22 is a former police gun. Besides holster wear it seems to shoot fine.

My M1 Carbine may also have been a police gun at one time.

A few weeks ago I picked up a Glock G22 refurb from FS, pistol looks new and still has a City of Miami PD seal on the slide. The serial prefix is MIA, it would be kinda neat to find the original owner.

Let's see:

- Detective Special Nickle, carried to and from PD and hardly ever shot.

- S&W 39-2, as above carried to PD and back. I actually hated this gun, but 3rd time firing it was for PD qualification and scored 95/100. Not bad at all. [wink]

- H&K P7M8, NJ SP turn-in and H&K factory refurb job (that included grinding seal off the slide and rebluing [crying] ). Great gun.

- Wife's S&W 64-3 seems to have PD initials on it. Likely a PD turn-in. Shoots fine.

- Wife's Glock 17 was a PD armory spare probably never fired. Ran 100s of rounds thru it and found some problem with trigger. A very generous NES member and Glock armorer brought the gun up-to-date and thus solved the problem. Great gun and have run probably 500 rds thru it since then.

Our PD "hopes" to replace their guns (Sig 229 .40) if they get the budget (they won't). I have an idea that I'll be sharing with the chief to get the money he needs (transferable Thompson smg collecting dust) and I'll be putting in my request to be allowed to buy one of the Sig 229s when/if they do an upgrade.

Like any used gun, you need to check it over, but usually they are a good deal (as long as they didn't have to be cut out of the holster and/or action disassembled with a hammer)!

I bought the 229 .40 that I carried for some years when we went to the 229R DAK. I know who carried it, how it was maintained, and how it shoots. I can even give you the serial # off the top of my head[smile] It will spend it's retirement as a .357 [grin] SPG

It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new NESmobile, or what?

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now."

Fix the cigarette lighter.

I had a wierd fetish for collecting police trade-in Glocks for a little while: DC Metro,VA Beach,GA DOT,NOLA PD,Miami PD until I realized it's just a little too weird.

Most cop guns are shot a whole bunch less than anything anyone here would own.As others have said,other than the finish,there's usually nothing more to worry about than any other used gun.

BTW, I very well might one day buy a used ex-PD Crown Vic, if only to play around with its ramming capabilities and big engine.

Back
Top Bottom