WTF did I do wrong??? Setting up a Lee Turret for .308.

I recently picked up a Lee Turret press and a set of Lee .308 dies, but I've hit a road block trying to set it up and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've prepped my cases - they're cleaned, to size (once fired, so they didn't need to be trimmed) and lubed.

I installed the sizing die per the instructions: I raised the ram, screwed in the die until it was touching the ram, lowered the ram, screwed in the die 1/2 turn more and locked it in.

But when I place a case on the ram, it doesn't fit into the die; the case gets stuck with about 1/3 of an inch hanging out the bottom of the die. I tried to force it, and the decapping pin popped out of the die and got stick inside the case (the bulge in the decapping pin that's supposed to size the neck of the case went past the neck and got stuck below the bottle neck of the case). The neck of the case is bunched up and I had to tear the case apart to get it back out. The decapping pin never even hit the primer.

I tried inserting a commercial .308 round into the sizing die (with the decapping pin still removed) and it got stuck with 1/3 inch sticking out, same as the case.

I inspected the dies, and they clearly say ".308 Win" on both the die and the box.

I've been reloading pistol cartridges on my Dillon XL650 for years without a problem, and I don't understand why this is failing so badly. I picked up the Lee press because it was cheaper than buying the conversion kit for the Dillon.

WTF am I doing wrong here??? Please help!

I used Dillon's case lube, and I was careful to lube the inside of the case mouth (I used a Qtip - is there a better way?).

I also oiled the pin and the inside of the die itself after the first case failed.

I used Dillon's case lube, and I was careful to lube the inside of the case mouth (I used a Qtip - is there a better way?).

I also oiled the pin and the inside of the die itself after the first case failed.

Did you lube the case body? That is where most of the friction is? Always shake the Dillon
case lube bottle before using (no, this would not cause your problem). I lube (even though
I have a carbide die for .223) about one case neck every five rounds (approximately). It's
the outside of the case you have to worry about wrt lubing, or lack of, to avoid getting one
stuck in a die.

A loaded cartridge should not fit into a FL sizing die, as the neck will have been expanded (first by the expander and then by the seated bullet).

Without eyeballing the setup, I'm necessarily guessing, but it sounds like a mis-match between the sizer die and the case intended to be sized.

No, I meant put a empty case in there with the decapping pin and collett removed and see if it'll go all the way in. Trying to narrow down exactly where the undesired contact is occurring.

If it were strictly lack of lube, the case would have gotten horribly stuck inside the die, and you might have had to send it to the factory to remove the stuck case. Some of the Lee dies have a feature where you can remove the stuck case at home.

The fact that the case isn't getting totally stuck suggests that the lube is doing it's job.

Was this a NEW set of Lee dies??? If so, can you point to a link anywhere that coincides with what the paper insert (which comes with every Lee die set) says it is??? If not new, did it come with the paperwork that lee dies normally come with?? Failing that, can you tell us what the embossed markings on the Full Length resizing die say? (Obviously, I'm wondering if you got a wrong tool set somehow.)

If the case is getting bunched up, then the die sizing isn't right. You could have, for example, the wrong sizing die, or even a wrong replacement plug/depriming pin.

If you have a micrometer/caliper, you should check the dimensions of the plug. The diameter of the plug should be the same as the inside diameter of a sized case, per your reloading book.

If this was an eBay purchase, you need to check everything, since not all eBayers are knowledgeable on this subject.

I once had a non-reloading eBayer try to palm off a three die set of 357 mag dies. What I got was a mis-matched set of something. Only one of the three pieces was right. One had a broken part. And, one wasn't even a pistol tool. It got returned for full credit (they yelled and screamed a lot...)

So, your presumption is right, something doesn't seem right. Have to check sizes, markings, etc.

The only time I ever had a problem like that the decapper was set way to low. Lee's QC aint the best, I have had a couple of bum dies from them and it wouldn't surprise if the die was outta whack.

i had the same issue with .308 and it was the lube, switched to Dillon lube and it has worked wonders. What kind of brass are you sizing? I had issues with Privi brass backing backing the pin out on .223

Well folks, we have liftoff! Looks like it was a combination of not enough lube and needing to tighten the decapping pin.

I went home and drenched the next shell in case lube (literally, it was dripping). Then I tightened the decapping pin as tightly as I could muster. And the first case cycled through without hesitation!

I continued to drench the first half dozen cases I sized, but after that the die worked fine with only moderately lubricated cases. I guess it just needed to be broken in a little bit.

Now onto my second problem - the press is missing the priming assembly! For now I was able to prime the cases on my Dillon press (set up for .45ACP, so the case diameter and priming assembly is the same), but I sent an email to Lee telling them the assembly was missing from the NIB reloading kit. And their response? "Buy the pieces from the website!" Jerks… I've had such good luck with customer service for my Dillon gear, I guess I just expected them to send me the parts. I guess you get what you pay for with Lee…

Anyway, thanks for all the help fellas - it's appreciated!

I didn't think the standard Lee Turret Press came with a primer tool. I use the seperate Lee priming tool anyway.

My classic turret has a priming tool but I don't know about their regular turret press.

lee turret

I have two lee turrets they dont come on the clasic the standard has a flat piece.actually two small and large.you may have missed it. I would get then lee hand primer tool.and the special shell holder. [I bought the kit].
if the cast clasic the primer is extra.
go to lees web site and watch the video.

Back
Top Bottom