WTF- Ruger MKiii Help Needed

Ok, so I started to field strip my Ruger MKiii to clean it...and now I'm stuck. Here's the issue- I didn't get far at all.

I pulled the trigger with the mag in to verify the hammer was released (per directions)...then I started to release the mainspring housing. It would only come out maybe 3/8". I looked it up and this indicated the hammer wasn't down. So I pointed down/pulled the trigger...nothing. Went to rack the slide- and it would only come back about 1/2".

I looked them both up and here's what I found:
1) If mainspring housing only comes out slightly, means hammer isn't released
2) If you can't rack the slide, it means you didn't reassemble it correctly and you need to remove the mainspring housing...

Kind of a catch 22...

Any ideas?

I know these guns are sensitive...but I literally had NOTHING apart yet...sigh

I have heard over and over that these guns are really hard to get apart. I was contemplating buying one until I asked a dealer to show me how to get it apart...and it took him 30 minutes! I've never owned a gun before so I sure as shit don't want a difficult gun to strip as my first gun.
Have you tried pointing the muzzle up while doing everything? That's what the dealer was trying when he did it.
Sorry I can't be more help...just know you're not alone.

OK, you've got the mainspring housing partway out? And it doesn't want to come any further?

You have to pull like a bastard on it. Try it now. I'll be here for a little longer, post pics if you can.

Been there, got the T-Shirt.

Pull the Main spring lever out like you were trying to remove the main spring to disassemble it. It will stop and not allow you to remove it. While repeatedly attempting to remove the main spring assembly start tilting the gun through rotation starting with barrel pointed down and rotate till barrel points up while pulling on the main spring.

A few times doing this and you should find a spot where the main spring lever comes all the way out and the main spring releases. Once this happens disassemble the gun and then reassembly making sure to carefully follow the step about closing the main spring.

The first couple times I did this with a MK III I also had this happen. After following the directions to the letter it did not happen again.

Oh, It was my 12 year old who read the directions first and showed me how to do it. Darn those smart kids.... RTFM Indeed!

<grin>

PM me if you wanna chat about it.

-Rick

OK, you've got the mainspring housing partway out? And it doesn't want to come any further?

You have to pull like a bastard on it. Try it now. I'll be here for a little longer, post pics if you can.

Mainspring housing will only come put about 3/8"... Likewise slide will only rack about 1/2" (even with the mainspring housing back in completely).

When the slide is only coming back ½" or so, that means the hammer strut is seating against a cross pin in the frame, where it's not usually resting. Look up inside the rear of the grip when you've got the mainspring housing partly out, you'll see a thin black piece of metal that should swing back and forth freely if the hammer is all the way forward.

I think if I had my MKIII in front of me right now this would be much easier to explain.

I understand...can only get the mainspring housing barely out...so I cant see up behind it very well

edit: make that at all...

I'm heading home soon, I'll see if I can get some close-up pics of step-by-step procedure to help you out. If you still need help in 20 minutes, that is. [grin]

BEEN TO YOUTUBE?

Hi Roadblock...have you been to youtube? they have several videos on how to field strip a ruger mkiii and reassemble it...might be a help...good luck.

Thanks...tried them...none address the combo of 2 issue I'm having. But wow have I felt fixes for each (which involve the other not existing) to fix.

I took my MKIII apart once and ended up sending it back to the factory. Never again. I did see a Youtube of the disassembly/reassembly once, but I can't find it now.

In other news I also dropped it onto its grip...and took a nice big chunk out of the coco-bolo wood thumbrest.

^ that video is right on, wonder where you're stuck?

have you gotten at least this far?
006.jpg

Yes...thats as far as it will come back. And once I close the mainspring housing...I cannot rack the slide more than 1/2"

Won't do it. It's behaving like the hammer isn't dropped and won't release any farther than your first picture.

ah. Then your hammer is definitely still cocked. Push the mainspring lever back in... You're sure there's not a live round in the chamber, correct? Place an empty mag in the magwell, make sure the safety is off, and pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom