WTF- Ruger MKiii Help Needed

I have NEVER gotten it beyond that point in your photo...so I am confused as to how I could be having the internal issue...

oooh. now this is becoming a challenge. So you've never gotten it past the point of the last picture I posted... and you've fired it already.

OK. When you're at the point of the last pic I posted, push in on the mainspring housing (leaving the small lever in the down position). does it spring back and forth when you apply forward pressure to it? If so, your hammer is still cocked. give it a try...

Nope, it has no spring to it and goes back and forth (that limited distance) readily.

I have about 200 rounds through it or so, no problems. I also could fully rack the slide up until I first tried to open the mainspring housing and then realized I could not.

No.

I can only move the safety if I remove the magazine and use a tool to follow the "manually drop the hammer" procedure (pulling down the sear).

the pulling the trigger and point the muzzle down and listen to you hear the hammer fall then try spring again with muzzle still down....

EDIT: guess in the mark III you will need to insert the mag to pull trigger and let hammer fall....

Damn! I'm stumped! I cannot create the scenario you're describing with mine. Not to undermine your intelligence, but you did try inserting a magazine before attempting to pull the trigger (with the safety off, and the mainspring lever pushed back in), correct?

No dice...I am pretty sure the hammer is down; but something is keeping the mainspring housing from releasing.

I have heard over and over that these guns are really hard to get apart. I was contemplating buying one until I asked a dealer to show me how to get it apart...and it took him 30 minutes! I've never owned a gun before so I sure as shit don't want a difficult gun to strip as my first gun.
Have you tried pointing the muzzle up while doing everything? That's what the dealer was trying when he did it.
Sorry I can't be more help...just know you're not alone.

Becka - get a Ruger Mark II. You won't regret it and it's not that hard to get apart/together once you know the trick. I can take mine apart with my eyes closed, though taking it apart is rarely, (if ever) necessary anyway...

I'm wondering if somehow the internal lock backed it's way out of the MSH just a c-hair during firing, which would possibly make it catch the inside of the frame where the MSH seats, thus not allowing the MSH to swing up and away. But that's unlikely seeing it's a .22, because there's barely any recoil to create such a condition. Plus you've already stated that your internal lock screw is all the way in.

Man, I need to go to bed soon, but I'd really like to help you resolve this! [sad2]

Thanks for all of your help, as well as the other folks who have helped out. I second that and need to get some sleep for now. Working on a gun past midnight- not a smart thing for me (although its already broken...wee)

It didn't work, but I appreciate the time and owe you a beer.

I doubt it's broken, there's just something we're not seeing here.
And if you're ever on the Cape, I'd gladly partake in a beer!

(Yeah, OK, I'm rhyming now, absolutely time for bed) [smile]

OK - last post before I go to bed....

Disclaimer: I have a MARK II....

I am thinking that it is that little pin at the rear of the hammer is getting jammed on that "cross bar"....

- If hammer is down, then holding muzzle pointing UP and mag well facing UP, gravity make that pin fall to the rear....

I remember when I first stripped my Mark II I assembled wrong and bolt would only draw back half way....

Time for bed now....

What ticks me off is I found great directions and it doesn't look that hard at all. I've rebuilt an automatic transmission before which had a hell of a lot more springs/balls/rods than this thing does. I get the feeling that when I was first removing the mainspring housing something shifted that shouldn't have and now I'm SOL.

Yeah, they are really not bad to take apart and put back together. Don't know what all the fuss is.

In your case something weird may have happened. Trust me though, once you've done it once, it'll be cake every time after. I love the thing (mkiii)

BTW: The first few take-downs/put-togethers required the use of a rubber mallet because things were so tight. It did loosen up since.

Last edited:
Roadblock, I believe your issue is linked to the expectation that the assembly will "release" as you would expect it would on virtually any other firearm, smoothly and precisely. Not with the Mark III.

I just got one of these myself and had the exact same thing happen during the first disassembly. One of the best pieces of information that the manual provides is the advice that new pistols may require a light tap on the top portion of the bolt stop pin with a wooden dowel to remove it. A few taps while supporting the back of the receiver on the edge of the bench and it will drop out.

If you started out by pulling the trigger with a magazine inserted, the hammer is still most likely down. Don't be second-guessing yourself on this, as it probably won't make any difference. Once the mainspring housing drops out, you will be able to see the rear of the hammer and will be able to push it up to the "flat" position so the bolt can be removed.

The Mark III is definitely not the best first-timer's pistol, and where it can require a bit of strength to field-strip, it can be difficult for women, though I don't mean to be sexist about this.

Good luck with this and let us know how you make out. [wink]

So here's the whole story:

1) Looked up directions online.
2) Verified gun was not loaded/mag empty
3) Insert mag, racked slide/closed, pulled trigger *click*
4) Started to open mainspring housing and it would only go this far: http://www.guntalk-online.com/images/ms_stuck.JPG
5) figured it was because for some weird reason the hammer didn't release, so I closed the mainspring housing and went to rack slide...it would only rack 1/4"

So here's the deal:
Not being able to open mainspring housing means hammer is still cocked, inserting mag/pulling trigger, etc- does nothing. I manually released the seer...still nothing. Safety function (not moving) means that the gun isn't cocked (supposedly).

Not being able to rack the slide means the hammer strut is out of place. But how could it be? I NEVER successfully opened the mainspring housing.

...weird.

Is there tension on the mainspring housing when you go to push it back in? Or does it freely go in and out to that stuck spot?

A previous poster was talking about the little pin that gets caught. I call it the tonsil. I dont' have a III I have a II but I took a 3 apart a few weeks ago for a friend. It seemed exactly the same to me, except for having to put the mag in to pull the trigger. It almost sounds like that tonsil is stuck which would make the trigger be stuck which in turn would make the main spring assembly be stuck.

I know your probably already did thing but put it barrel in the are and shake it around a bit, then put it handle in the air (upside down) and shake it a bit. That might free something up.

Like others if I was anywhere near nashua I'd head on over with my MKII for reference to help.

Did you take it apart before you shot it?

I GOT IT!

Two things at play:
1) When I DID get it open, the hammer strut was out of place- no idea how it got there but it CAN slip out of place even if the mainspring housing isn't out all the way (wee).

2) The safety lock was in all the way (per directions)...WRONG...it needs to be in but only far enough to not catch. Because it was in all the way- it sticks out the other side and prevents the mainspring housing from releasing.

So, I got it out, cleaned, and assembled correctly. All is well.

Definitely scratched it up a bit (any tips on getting the light surface scratches out of the stainless steel?) and ruined my nice grips ($60 wasted, weee). But its finally apart and back together and appears to function normally.

Back
Top Bottom