• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WW II or older 1911

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I am interested in getting a 1911 which is US military from WWII or before. Anyone have suggestions for a good place to start looking, and how to not get ripped off?

Start at Cool Gunsite and learn. Get Clawson's book and learn. Then and only then will you not get ripped off. As to where to shop, I don't know. I fell into the two that I own.

There's a WWI vintage 1911 at K&R Target Sport in Hudson, MA.

(yeah, I know I sound like a broken record here... what I can I say? when I was there last week, I spotted two Logers (in .30), a Nambu, an M1 Carbine and this lovely 1911. Among all the other toys. [smile] Hey, he's got a good stock of stuff!)

Ross

You mean like this one?
nra3.jpg

You've just got to frequent gun shops and eventually you get lucky. I stumbled across this one last fall. It's one of the NRA "unserviceable" .45's from the 60's. Colt frame 1943. Remington slide. Rebuilt at Red River Ordinance Depot. Nothing unserviceable about it, and it came with all the NRA/DCM paperwork to boot!

Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for... what are typical prices you might see for that?

Prices are going higher all the time. A few years back, you could get a arsenal re-build like mine for $300-$400; nobody wanted them. Today, expect $600+. An all original Colt or Remington are closer to $1000 and WAY above.
I paid $600 for mine, which, when you factor in the original purchaser's paperwork from 1962, I thought it was a decent deal. Not the steal of the century, but a decent deal.
nra1.jpg

Isn't there some Brazilian maker of these? Something like Sistema or Systema? Are these considered C&R? If so, does that change anything regarding purchase?

What about a somewhat junky parts gun for the serial number, then build the rest up from newer stuff?

Back
Top Bottom