WWI and WWII M1911’s

I recently picked up a 1944 Remington Rand M1911a1. It’s in the exact configuration and condition as it served in the Second World War down to every part, finish etc. (except the springs as I plan to carefully shoot it, I kept the originals. More on that below). It came with some period canvas Mills accessories and I picked up two additional Scovill mags which I also replaced the springs on.

As mentioned I replaced the springs, installed a Wilson shok-buf buffer pad, and am now in the process of working up a new load for this gun. I have an established load of 5.2gr of W231 pushing a 230gr RN plated bullet that I use in modern 1911’s and my Sig P220 suppressed, but for this old war vet I want something more mild. I’m starting with 4.3gr of W231 pushing a 230gr RN lead bullet, going up in .1gr increments until I find a load that reliably cycles the gun.

I’m now looking for a First World War M1911 of similar condition. Those seem harder to find.

IstmTN6.jpeg

I have the one pictured below, date of manufacture is 1918. The person I bought it from had it documented/verified by Colt and it was confirmed as having been shipped to the Springfield armory. Kinda cool holding history like that, I also have a .22 conversion kit for it, not quite as old as the pistol though. And... I can't bring myself to shoot it. I swore I'd never own a safe queen, but here I am, with a safe queen.

-chris

2012-10-08_09-38-35_968.jpg

Back
Top Bottom