• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

YAESU FT-818ND 6W HF/ VHF/ UHF All Mode Portable Transceiver

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Julian/OH8STN has a YouTube channel with a lot of info on it. For that niche I’m waiting for the ICOM 7500.

EDIT: I mean ICOM IC-705.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess the FT891 is better.
A lot of people like those (and the 857) for mobile HF, but they are great for tight spaces or a backup rig for the shack. I have mine mounted in a Tac Comm case with a YT-100 tuner so I can grab it, shove it in a pelican case and go. I have a second Tac Comm case with the power supply and rig runner gear and solar power hook ups. They stack on top of one another.

1592868659197.png

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
A lot of people like those (and the 857) for mobile HF, but they are great for tight spaces or a backup rig for the shack. I have mine mounted in a Tac Comm case with a YT-100 tuner so I can grab it, shove it in a pelican case and go. I have a second Tac Comm case with the power supply and rig runner gear and solar power hook ups. They stack on top of one another.

View attachment 367340
I would like to get a cool set up so a carrier is essential.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've been eyeing something like this for my 857d. Yaesu FT 857d portable amateur ham radio battery packs and carrying systems They provide a link to a custom Bionenno battery that fits the portable zero carrier (I believe the carrier holds two 6 Ah batteries). I'm on my second attempt to get hooked on ham so I'm being more strategic with my purchases so I don't lay out a paycheck for a bunch of equipment I'll never use. Again.

I just ordered a Chameleon "Tactical Dipole" (yeah, so tactical) last night that I want to use for NVIS. Once I'm confident with that, I'll start looking at the batteries to get my rig portable and see how I like that. From there, start making things more compact and easier to use, maybe some solar if needed.

I think the 891 is an improvement over the 857. A couple friends have them and are quite pleased. For digital modes and rig control, it's supposedly very easy to setup and get running. I know they also use 817s and like them for their intended use, but the power is definitely limited.

Evtide

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Chameleon Emcomm II (I think) end-fed in an NVIS configuration as my only 24/7 HF antenna and it works very well on 80 / 40 and pretty good on 20. I haven't really tried it on the other bands. Despite the NVIS setup (only about 12' off the ground with a single counterpoise running underneath) I managed to work all lower 48 states on FT8 while working from home this past winter. The Chameleon stuff is pretty expensive for what it is but it's well built and seems to do the trick. Good luck and 73 de N1MHD.

Top Bottom