Yeah, about NH's "Live Free or Die" motto

allen-1

NES Member
The Pine Tree Flag, a symbol tied to the Pine Tree Riot in Weare, N.H., flew proudly over Gen. George Washington’s army at the historic Battle of Bunker Hill.

But thanks to Nashua Mayor Joe Donchess and his administration, it won’t be flying over the Gate City any time soon.

Nashua resident Beth Scaer made a formal request to fly the Pine Tree Flag on a flag pole in front of city hall made available for citizens “to fly a flag in support of cultural heritage, observe an anniversary, honor a special accomplishment, or support a worthy cause.”

Scaer’s request was to “remember the Nashua soldiers that died in the battle including William Harris, the young drummer boy and Colonel Ebenezer Bancroft, who had led the march on Lexington and Concord” by displaying the flag beginning June 15. The anniversary of the battle is June 17.

Nashua said no. Why?

The flag is not in harmony with the message that the city wishes to express and endorse. Therefore, we must deny your request,” wrote Jennifer L. Deshaies, whose job title in the Donchess administration is “Risk Manager.”

The city did not explain to Scaer how flying the historic flag with its iconic “Appeal to H
eaven” message would violate the Gate City’s “harmony.” Neither Deschaies nor Donchess would respond to requests for comment from NHJournal.

Source: Nashua Says No to Displaying Historic N.H. Pine Tree Flag by Michael Graham

My favorite is the NH cop sitting under the "Live Free or Die" sign on Route 3.

In before the "at least it is not MA" crowd.
Hey the MA troopers sit just over thebline in MA, to hecdairvicsee way more pulled over the MA line. On the other hand the NH SP likes their airplane speed traps.

On the other hand the NH SP likes their airplane speed traps.
Apparently they're not working very well. On I-93 south of Concord - keeping it just around 72 - I'm constantly passed by people doing 80+. If I've gone into the center lane to open the right lane for on ramp mergers, I get passed on the right at those speeds too.

I am in no way a proponent of speed cameras, but they would be an easy way to a state budget surplus.

One court case, coming up. While a city need not offer to fly flags on its City Hall flagpole, once it does the rules have to be content neutral.

As for "Live Free or Die," ever wonder why NH issues POW plates?

Apparently they're not working very well. On I-93 south of Concord - keeping it just around 72 - I'm constantly passed by people doing 80+. If I've gone into the center lane to open the right lane for on ramp mergers, I get passed on the right at those speeds too.

I am in no way a proponent of speed cameras, but they would be an easy way to a state budget surplus.

If the cameras end up reducing speeders, then they have less reasons to pull you over for the reasons they want to pull you over. That’s a problem. They’re not going to do something that affects their ability to pull people over and potentially search them.

If the cameras end up reducing speeders, then they have less reasons to pull you over for the reasons they want to pull you over. That’s a problem. They’re not going to do something that affects their ability to pull people over and potentially search them.
Good!! Then they won’t find my open beer and a lit joint. [rofl] [cheers]

How’s that boot leather taste?

Can't say that I've tried it but would probably prefer it to possibly being killed because some azzhole crossed three lanes of traffic to get to an exit and nearly hit a gasoline tanker that had to smoke its brakes.
I see you enjoyed your trip to providence. As always if you don't die in a traffic accident... at least you get to leave rhode island

The Pine Tree Flag, a symbol tied to the Pine Tree Riot in Weare, N.H., flew proudly over Gen. George Washington’s army at the historic Battle of Bunker Hill.

But thanks to Nashua Mayor Joe Donchess and his administration, it won’t be flying over the Gate City any time soon…
Nashua is as much NH, as Atlanta is a representation of GA.

Not legal under NH law.

Someone needs to get in that asshat's face and tell them that shit doesn't fly (pun intended). Boston tried that with a Christian flag and SCOTUS told them they had to fly it in Shurtleff v. City of Boston.
Shurtleff

Saw an ad on YouTube advertising NH to vacation to…I didn’t catch who put the ad up, but presumably some Chamber of Commerce or civic organization.

At the end it said:

“NEW HAMPSHIRE
Live Free.”

Missing something I think.

Back
Top Bottom