• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

I use the Comparator. Calling OAL wasn't right, that is why I wrote (Hornady Comparator).

41.3 gives me 2706 with a SD of 9.2

I could try going higher. Might try a few at 42, see what happens. 41.5 the SD went to sh*t but the group was good, 41.1 the SD and group was sh*t.

Next group of loads is the same load 41.3, but seating depth +0.02 all the way to 2.240, and 2 more loads at 2.252 and 2.254.

Normally I would only want to increase the sesting depth, but I started a little deep.

I have some brass left, I might try a higher load of 42 or 41.7, see what happens there.
Try going in 0.3gr increments up to 43gr but watch carefully for pressure signs.
Barrel is still new and did not speed up yet also, probably.
41.8gr r16 does 2800fps in my bergara.

Try going in 0.3gr increments up to 43gr but watch carefully for pressure signs.
Barrel is still new and did not speed up yet also, probably.
41.8gr r16 does 2800fps in my bergara.
I will try that.

I have only shot 113 rounds. 60 of those factory.

@Broc , I am no expert in reloading, but have you considered the stable velocity nodes? I am still learning and have found that SD and ES numbers become important only in stable velocity areas. If one were to look at the velocity vs. powder load graph, there are areas where the velocity does not grow at the same rate. Those areas are where I start chasing SD ES. For example, here's the graph of the initial ladder work up on 6.5 Grendel load development:
scan.jpg
This particular ladder was done in 0.2gr increments and two shots per weight. As you will notice, there are many spots where ES is very low. For example, at 28.4gr, the spread is just nine fps, but because the velocity at that station is growing fairly consistently, the precision is not very good. If one were to look at 28.8-29.2gr stations, the velocity is barely increasing. Good candidates on this particular workup were 28.0 and 29.0. The follow-up workup was 0.1gr increments for 0.2gr in each direction to confirm stability and precision. The 28.0gr area ended up being discarded, and I focused on 29.0gr.
I was developing this for my Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel hunting/plinking rifle. The action is advertised as 1MOA and that is exactly what I get with factory ammo. My ammo gives me a very consistent .75 MOA which I'm happy with.

I am still learning and would love to see your feedback on my work up.

I didn't graph mine. I settled for a load, which is the 9SD load above and started playing with seating depth.

I have all the data, maybe I should graph.

41.3 gives me 2706 with a SD of 9.2

SD < 10 is great.

FWIW, I've seen the same thing with excellent SD but poor grouping and, conversely, great grouping at much higher SD. I assume that it just happens to be in a bad spot relative to the nodes == PITA.

I asked a guy at the range of his 6.5 was a 308 … he looked disappointed.

SD < 10 is great.

FWIW, I've seen the same thing with excellent SD but poor grouping and, conversely, great grouping at much higher SD. I assume that it just happens to be in a bad spot relative to the nodes == PITA.
At distance, that good grouped high SD load will open up vertically. You just don’t see much vertical separation due to velocity variation within the first couple hundred yards. But it gets exaggerated at distance.

At least 6.5 improved on something. 40 was made cause feds have soft wrists
That is what bothers the .40 fan bois. It was literally a cartridge designed for weak people.

Where the 6.5 was designed to have awesome BC and is super easy to reload. No need to f*ck with 7 powders and 20 bullet weights.

Yawn ... no one cares about 308 or 30-06 here. You can't compare them to 6.5cm.
Actually, you can compare them...
Oh, and the video version for those who need visual cues.

View: https://youtu.be/EnUoyvIv5yQ

Actually, you can compare them...
No one asked you!! (The link for me has some issue)

So what’s the next caliber to go with now that we have our man buns? I’m assuming some flavor of 6mm. 6 GT? 6 ARC?

Yawn ... no one cares about 308 or 30-06 here. You can't compare them to 6.5cm.
Yea, you're right... When it comes to things like chamber pressures, barrel life, down range energy.... the 6.5 doesn't hold a candle to the .30 cals. There simply is no comparison. I mean hell, if you really wanted to go full vaginal sniper, you could at least argue for the 6.5 PRC.... But Creedmore.... That's a cute little rifle you got there. Does your non-binary adolescent they/them kid enjoy shooting it?

That is what bothers the .40 fan bois. It was literally a cartridge designed for weak people.

The exact same thing could be said about the 6.5 Creedmore. It's for man bun wearing, straight-edge, gender studies majors afraid of the .270.

Last edited:
With all the smart ass trash talk here I really wonder if there is anyone here who actually tried a good modern ultralight (under 6lbs) hunting rifle, like that savage 110 k2 - chambered in 308 and then in 6.5cm side by side.

They are selling best in an 6.5cm for a reason, that’s all. Even if reason eludes you - it does not mean there isn’t one.
I got to run a Ruger American pair in . 308 and 6.5CM with the same PST2 Vortex scope. There was a Savage 110 in . 308 there too, but I only put 3 rounds through it.

I went 12/15 on a gong at 600 yards with the 6.5 American. 6/15 with the . 308.

He didn't have his 1000yrd range setup this year (had to move a road due to erosion and didn't put everything back yet ).

The same rifles, a few years ago, did about the same, with . 308 really struggling at 1k in light wind. The thing that really surprised me was the lack of recoil of the 6.5.

His favorite is still the Savage 110, but the barrel was getting a little off. It's what he shoots pretty much every day.

He was building up a 6cm or 6 dasher on a JP to replace the . 308.

EDIT: I can't believe I just read thru this whole thread. Wow. More entertainment than Saturday night live!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom