You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

Yeah, but you’re not going to get factory 260 at the higher pressures. Most people want a plug n’ play solution, and 6.5 CM is the better option there. As far as I’m tracking, when the 260 vs 6.5 CM showdown was actually going down, there were not factory 260 options with the longer bullets. That seems to be a newer occurrence with boutique ammo companies. Normal factory ammo is all 120-130gr, with an occasional 140gr OTM that’s not quite as long as the tipped 140gr or 147gr options. The high BC 260 Rem options are really only for reloaders or small boutique ammo companies.

260 may still be a good option for re-loaders, but that’s not going to make it more popular than 6.5 CM which has great factory options available. 260 Rem missed the boat when the battle was going on, partially due to marketing, but also because they didn’t have factory options people wanted.

Edit: Oh, also twist rate. Some of the longer bullets will only be marginally stable out of the 260 Rem’s 1:9 twist, but will be more assuredly stable in the Creedmoor’s 1:8 twist. The marginal stability will lead to lower BCs than advertised. Sure, you can get custom 260 Rem barrels in 1:8 or 1:7 twist, but again… factory offerings. People like turn-key.

Not to start a pissing match again, but almost all of the new 260s (not that there is that many) in the Tikkas, Savages, and even Remingtons come with 1:8 twist. Interestingly enough, Daniel Defense has factory 260s with 1:7 twists whereas their 6.5 Creedmoors are 1:8. I am sure any new 260 will come with the faster twist given the proliferation of heavy for caliber/high BC bullets in the past few years.

Not to start a pissing match again, but almost all of the new 260s (not that there is that many) in the Tikkas, Savages, and even Remingtons come with 1:8 twist. Interestingly enough, Daniel Defense has factory 260s with 1:7 twists whereas their 6.5 Creedmoors are 1:8. I am sure any new 260 will come with the faster twist given the proliferation of heavy for caliber/high BC bullets in the past few years.

Good on those manufacturers. Maybe ammo companies will start loading 260 with longer bullets and maybe that will bring about a resurgence of 260. But it didn’t exist back when 260 and 6.5 CM were fighting for market share and when 6.5 CM came out on top in that race.

The 6.5 Creedmoor (6.5 DeMille) was conceived as a match cartridge. Period.
Hornady designed it with a list of "ideals" from Dennis DeMille on the ideal mid-range cartridge, but with the express desire that factory ammo would be readily available for "new shooters". The reason for that was because it was meant to grow the number of competitive shooters. I don't think that ended up being the result. Serious competitive shooters load their own ammo. That's not to be debated.
I won't get into the reason WHY it has become so popular so as not to offend.

I won't get into the reason WHY it has become so popular so as not to offend.

That’s because despite it being designed for competition, it happens to be a pretty good general purpose short action rifle cartridge. It being selected by USSOCOM for precision gas guns didn’t hurt.

I’d also say it has done its job of being a great initial entry into competition for a great many. 3/4 MOA factory loads are available and it’s easy to be competitive enough until the new competitors eventually start loading.

Though, now that 6 GT is available in factory loads, it may take some of the new match shooter market.

Not related to my 6.5cm, but I figured I would post it here.

I got this for another rifle, a 45/70 that won't be used past 150 yards.

So many people talk about Athlon and after a few months of reading and watching videos, I ordered one. I was hesitant, even thought about canceling the order.

But it arrived today and all I have to say is "I am impressed". The scope feels solid, it is not crazy heavy, the optics are clear and illumination is awesome. I only looked out a window on a sunny afternoon, but it looks like illumination is daylight bright. I will have to test it at the range.

20230821_162548.jpg

So many people talk about Athlon and after a few months of reading and watching videos, I ordered one. I was hesitant, even thought about canceling the order.

But it arrived today and all I have to say is "I am impressed". The scope feels solid, it is not crazy heavy, the optics are clear and illumination is awesome. I only looked out a window on a sunny afternoon, but it looks like illumination is daylight bright. I will have to test it at the range.

View attachment 787667

Jesus, a 15 power scope on a 45/70? Is your quarry mice at 150 yards? At least the 26 ounce weight will help temper the recoil with heavy loads.

Question, do you hunt at all?

View attachment 787667

Durability over time to be determined, but yeah, seems pretty decent for the price.

C98A63BD-E6FB-4C1B-8F90-F8803D5F4F30.jpeg

Jesus, a 15 power scope on a 45/70? Is your quarry mice at 150 yards? At least the 26 ounce weight will help temper the recoil with heavy loads.

Question, do you hunt at all?
Look who showed up, the guy that doesn't shoot 260, and I am questioning if you ever shot a rifle.

I am not sure why you keep showing up, you always leave crying.

Last edited:
1. 6 ARC is newer
2. 6 ARC is faster and can have higher BC
3. 6 ARC is being used by some SOF/SMUs, though not to any sizeable extent to provide any benefit to consumers

6.5 Grendel still has the advantage with cheap ammo availability though. And it seems to still be the choice for people who want to hunt with the cartridge.

Overall, unless 6 ARC’s ammo availability increases and more options come to market, then I think 6 ARC may start to wither away.
Sarcasm. Look it up.

We will see how it does long term.

It might see some cold temps, maybe rain and snow this winter in Michigan. I hope it holds and I don't regret it.
Why a 2.5-15x for something you won’t shoot with past 150 yards? What size target? Why not a LPVO or even a red dot/holo and 3x magnifier?

Why a 2.5-15x for something you won’t shoot with past 150 yards? What size target? Why not a LPVO or even a red dot/holo and 3x magnifier?
I like that mag.
I am not a fan of LPVO. I have one on a lever action 1-6. Great for steel, love it at 100 yards. Very clear, even at 6x, but sometimes I like a little more mag. I like the flexibility of having a good field of view when I want it or more mag.

I will be shooting at deer and hogs.

The 6.5 for deer gets a 2.5-15x Meopta. I love that scope.

If hunting deer in New England, I’ve come to realize you don’t need much magnification.
I got a Leupold VX-3i 1.75-6 on my Henry 44 mag for deer hunting in Maine. There’s been very few times I could see more than 100 yards without any obstructions lol.

In MA, my shotgun has a Leupold 1.5-4.

But if hunting out west that’s a different ball game

Look who showed up, the guy that doesn't shoot 260, and I am questioning if you ever shot a rifle.

I am not sure why you keep showing up, you always leave crying.

Embarrassed to answer my questions so deflecting? Have you ever gone deer hunting or even taken a deer? You were talking about a big hunting trip to Wyoming earlier this year and now it is Michigan? It is literally idiotic to put a 2.5-15 power, 26 ounce scope on a 45/70 but, please post a picture of it on the gun, I bet it will look great. [rofl]

If hunting deer in New England, I’ve come to realize you don’t need much magnification.
I got a Leupold VX-3i 1.75-6 on my Henry 44 mag for deer hunting in Maine. There’s been very few times I could see more than 100 yards without any obstructions lol.

Yup, exactly, I see people hunting in woods where you can barely see 50 yard with huge/high power scopes and I am like WTF.

Embarrassed to answer my questions so deflecting? Have you ever gone deer hunting or even taken a deer? You were talking about a big hunting trip to Wyoming earlier this year and now it is Michigan? It is literally idiotic to put a 2.5-15 power, 26 ounce scope on a 45/70 but, please post a picture of it on the gun, I bet it will look great. [rofl]

To be fair, it has a 2.5x low end, which is perfectly reasonable for 45/70 woods hunting.

15x top end, being big, and 26 ounces seems odd to me too, for a 45/70 lever gun. But, that’s just personal preference. With its low bottom end, it is still quite usable for the gun. It’s SFP, so the 15x top high end isn’t likely to make the reticle hard to use on 2.5x. My biggest concerns would be 45/70 recoil killing the Athlon or it losing zero out on a hunt.

The biggest non-preference thing is the rainbow trajectory of 45/70 will need holding high at fairly close distances, and he won’t be able to use his marks for drops at mid-magnifications.

Last edited:

Not New England.

The biggest non-preference thing is the rainbow trajectory of 45/70 will need holding high at fairy close distances, and he won’t be able to use has marks for drops at mid-magnifications.

I am good with it zeroed at 100, not a big deal.

But, I have been shooting 45/70 for several years, including BPCR, I know my limits and I am very familiar with its rainbow trajectory. If I wanted to go beyond 150 and use the marks, the scope at 15x would be fine.

I usually shoot 45-70 using irons, out of 6 or 7 (lost count) rifles I have in that caliber, this is the first one I mount a scope on.

I still like my 5-25 for hunting even in New England, obviously heavily depends on where you are though. In the woods 5x minimum is decent enough, get to a field and you can comfortably make shots at 500 yards.

Although it is heavy, and im sure something less would still work, this is just what I have for now

I still like my 5-25 for hunting even in New England, obviously heavily depends on where you are though. In the woods 5x minimum is decent enough, get to a field and you can comfortably make shots at 500 yards.

Although it is heavy, and im sure something less would still work, this is just what I have for now
I work with a guy that was a shooting instructor with some shooting teams out West. He tells me most deer he shoots around his area are within 100 yards except when he goes out of State where the last two he shot were at 375 and 400 or 350.

Anyway, he then tells me everyone thinks he is crazy because he uses the same rifle and scope in both places. He has a Vortex PST GEN2 5-25x and shoots deer inside of 100 yards.

I own a PST and I wouldn't do it. But it works for some people.

Last edited:
I work with a guy that was a shooting instructor with some.shooting teams out West. He tells me most deer he shoots around his area are within 100 yards except in Wyoming where the last two he shot were at 375 and 400 or 350.

Anyway, he then tells me everyone thinks he is crazy because he uses the same rifle and scope in both places. He has a Vortex PST GEN2 5-25x and shoots deer inside of 100 yards.

I own a PST and I wouldn't do it. But it works for some people.
Thats the scope I use, my first deer was probably 50 yards away with it lol. Tell him hes not alone.

Also softpoint 6.5cm absolutely destroyed the deers lungs on exit

I am good with it zeroed at 100, not a big deal.

But, I have been shooting 45/70 for several years, including BPCR, I know my limits and I am very familiar with its rainbow trajectory. If I wanted to go beyond 150 and use the marks, the scope at 15x would be fine.

I usually shoot 45-70 using irons, out of 6 or 7 (lost count) rifles I have in that caliber, this is the first one I mount a scope on.
i would put a 2.5x or 3x prism on it. just try it and see how often you will use anything beyond 4x - and if it`s not going to be used, then it is easy enough to revert to something else.
it`s not a holy war subject, just an another peace of gear...

i would put a 2.5x or 3x prism on it. just try it and see how often you will use anything beyond 4x - and if it`s not going to be used, then it is easy enough to revert to something else.
it`s not a holy war subject, just an another peace of gear...
I agree.

I do have another rifle on the way that can also use this scope, so rather than buying a new scope for it, I will wait and see what I want to do. I might end up mounting this one on the new rifle.

Back
Top Bottom