• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yugo M57 Hot Bluing job

My Easter Sunday:
1. vinegar bath
2. light bead blast
3. degreasing bath
4. hot out of the salts
5. oiling stage
6,7. comparison against twin brother that hasn't been refinished. both looked about the same before.

More pics

Attachments

• DSCN2153s.JPG
    DSCN2153s.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN2155s.JPG
    DSCN2155s.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN2159s.JPG
    DSCN2159s.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN2169s.JPG
    DSCN2169s.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN2174s.JPG
    DSCN2174s.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0246s.JPG
    DSCN0246s.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0247s.JPG
    DSCN0247s.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0248s.JPG
    DSCN0248s.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0252s.JPG
    DSCN0252s.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0266s.JPG
    DSCN0266s.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
wow. looks great! can you give some more information on the salt bath process?

Well bluing (salt bath) process itself is not at all difficult especially for pistols. Can be easily accomplished at home/garage without any special equipment assuming you already have the salts/bluing solution.

Take a stainless or black iron pot wide enough to fit your frame and slide and at least 1-1.5 gal of salts with some room to spare.
Following steps need to be done in well ventilated area.
-Bring solution to a boil or near boil (it's around 255-265 F). Having thermometer wouldn't be a bad idea. Take note that salts from various sources might blue at slightly different temperature, just follow manufacturer's instructions for proper temp.
-obviously strip, degrease surface prior to bluing.
-make hooks out of steel wire and hang your large parts one by one suspended in the solution by means of stick across the pot/tank, without having them touching.
-Don't let them sit on the bottom though. If bluing in less than 2gal of solution, then allow solution to return to bluing temp between slide and frame. -For small parts use stainless steel mesh basket/sieve/strainer.
-bluing usually takes 20-30 minutes. Depending on brand of salts, maybe more or less, just follow manufacturer's instructions.
-make sure you keeping solution temp steady otherwise you either plum your parts or loose solution too fast and risk soot fall-out or solution burn-out.
-once bluing is done, take parts out and thoroughly rinse-out salts in very hot water (5-10 minutes).
-dry (compressed air is best) but towels/rags would do too. hot water from step above should make it fairly easy.
-now oiling and reassembly, might take a lot of rubbing-in, almost as long as entire prep and bluing.
That's all.

Last edited:
I make my own salts now, since I blue quite a bit and it's cheaper than buying from Brownells.

Brownell's salts are decent, they also have new formulation to blue stainless. Other than them I can't really vouch for anyone else.

I had used another brand in the past that was priced right, but I can't find them anymore. They were 'old school' without web presence, only phone orders. Sometime around 2010 their phone number went 'dead'. Maybe they went out of business, who knows. The called themselves Fourchone-something LLC out of LA, if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom