Zenk's in Whitinsville

Been looking for a 1911 for a bit so I got down to Zenk's. Between my M&P40C and GSG MP5 model(both like new), I'd get a whopping $300 trade-in. Then low and behold I notice he's got a USED M&P9C for sale for $650.00. Something just doesn't add up there. And there were plenty more examples of things that just didn't add up.

Maybe some of you have had good experiances with Zenk's. My visit today assures that I'll never go back. Take a ride down the road a bit and go see Denis at First Defense instead.

I agree sounds like a screwing, in your area stay with first defense or bobs gun shop in webster both are stand up dealers with very good prices and treat you fairly on trades.

It's not unusual for any shop selling used items to pay half of what they think they can get for a used item. What they can get is often a little less than what they place on the ticket. That's tempered by how long it will sit in the case too.

Having said that, the M&P 9c can be had brand new for $100 less without shopping around. So, it sounds like I won't be going out of my way to go to Zenk's! Sorry you got screwed.

It's not unusual for any shop selling used items to pay half of what they think they can get for a used item. What they can get is often a little less than what they place on the ticket. That's tempered by how long it will sit in the case too.

Having said that, the M&P 9c can be had brand new for $100 less without shopping around. So, it sounds like I won't be going out of my way to go to Zenk's! Sorry you got screwed.

I didn't get screwed. No purchase was made. I'll check in from time to time but I'm not going go out of my way, even though I'm in the next town over.

I didn't get screwed. No purchase was made. I'll check in from time to time but I'm not going go out of my way, even though I'm in the next town over.

Misread. Thought you sold. You may be beat off with consignment if you want to sell through a shop. Both of those guns should sell.

Honestly that's not an outrageous offer on a trade. . .trading in a gun is like going to a pawn broker, it's only a good idea if you need the cash NOW .

Offer the 2 guns here in the classified and get close to what you think they're worth. Then if Scooby has the 1911 you want, offer him what you're willing to pay.

When I lived in Northbridge, I use to swing in and see him about once a month. He's always willing to deal, and sometimes gets some really cool stuff. All that said, there are 2-3 better shops within a 10 minute drive from there that take great care of people

Honestly that's not an outrageous offer on a trade. . .trading in a gun is like going to a pawn broker, it's only a good idea if you need the cash NOW .

Offer the 2 guns here in the classified and get close to what you think they're worth. Then if Scooby has the 1911 you want, offer him what you're willing to pay.

When I lived in Northbridge, I use to swing in and see him about once a month. He's always willing to deal, and sometimes gets some really cool stuff. All that said, there are 2-3 better shops within a 10 minute drive from there that take great care of people

Dont get me wrong Scooby's a great guy. He'll talk to ya for hours if ya let him and he's pretty straight up. Which is one reason the experiance blew me away. But being offered $300 for both firearms and then looking down right where I was standing and seeing the same M&P included in the $300 offer in 9mm USED with a $650.00 tag on it?

And I have yet to go green yet so classifieds are a no-go for me as of right now. Think I want to keep them anyway. Just had a nasty case of the "1911 Bug", don't got me one yet.

Other than Denis at First Defense what's around. I'm in Douglas.

Last edited:

America's Armed in Milford, AFAIK he is still open for business. You MIGHT do a little better with him for your trades, but his selection is/was limited, depending on what you are looking for.

Dont get me wrong Scooby's a great guy. He'll talk to ya for hours if ya let him and he's pretty straight up. Which is one reason the experiance blew me away. But being offered $300 for both firearms and then looking down right where I was standing and seeing the same M&P included in the $300 offer in 9mm USED with a $650.00 tag on it?

And I have yet to go green yet so classifieds are a no-go for me as of right now. Think I want to keep them anyway. Just had a nasty case of the "1911 Bug", don't got me one yet.

I think there's one big thing that people don't know about "Scooby". He LOVES to haggle. I think at this point it's what he lives for. Everything in his shop is negotiable, every trade in is negotiable and if you're willing to indulge him you can get a pretty good deal. I don't particularly like haggling, but I did spend a good half hour haggling with him a few years ago over an E. German Mak. By the time it was said and done, I got what I considered a good deal on it with some ammo thrown in. Never take his first offer on face value as there is always wiggle room there.

As to going Green, the cover price is more then worth it when you consider how much more you'll get for your trade ins! [wink]

for those of you who might care; zenk is an Armenian word for gun Tell him you know that and I'll bet you he'll give you at least a few bucks off:)

on the topic.. what about a consignment? Is there a standard "take" for the gunshop when a gun is sold "on consignment"

Everything is open for negotiation at his shop. I've gotten a couple of good very deals there, but you have to know the going price of things. Make an offer and never pay the sticker price on his guns.

The used M&P 9c for $650 seems more a problem than the $300 he offered for yours.

Agreed. You can pick up and like new M&P all day, every day for $400. As I was leaving he was getting ready to close up. I stopped in the hall way to double check the contents of my cases when a another guy that works/hangs out there comes out, starts shaking his head and tells me to drive the extra few miles to First Defense.

I'm still gonna stop in there when I'm down that way regardless.

Bob's in Webster is very good. Sparky's is about a mile away in the plaza right after the light. He's a good guy too. Tite Group in Northboro is another good shop. Small but he will order whatever you want at reasonable prices. He'll show you what he's paying on most of the guns he'll order so you know he's not making a fortune.

Last edited:
Similar experience with Zenks. was trying to get a used or new 22a to plink with. he brought a used 22a with a cracked grip and quoted me $275 for it. $350 for the new one. Didn't bother asking about a S&W9c. I feel bad...not sure he's quite "all there". But went to Bob's in webster and got a new 22a for $299. Then got a M&P9c from Dennis at First Defense in Uxbridge for $485...and he threw in some goodies for me. I really like First Defense, but like all the good stores, they seem to be busy all the time. Great people though and have given great advice and right around the corner. It's pretty much between them and Four Seasons now. I don't bother going anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom