Zero Hour turns in pipe bomb builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now they are going to explode from being moved around? I think you've watched one too many CHiPs episodes. Do you stay clear of propane, oil, and gas trucks too?

I'm mainly worried that whatever composition of chemicals said person has put in the bombs is unstable. Explosive materials like to react to things like heat, electricity, impact of some sort...... It just needs enough kinetic energy to get it going is all.

No i do not stay away from propane, oil, or gas trucks. Although with some of the recent events that have happened with those particular vehicles it might be a good idea.

It's my business that I could be driving down the highway while passing by him with a couple of those pipe bombs in the car and he's on the way to go detonate it in some field.......It goes off while our cars are next to each other because he hits a bump in the road and both of our cars and lives go bye bye. That makes it my business.

It's my business that you could be driving down the road, get in an accident, and I stop to help you. Your CCW is dislodged, and I accidentally grab it, shooting me in the forehead.

Or your house catches on fire and ammo goes off, striking my wife in the ass.

Better turn in your guns. I don't think they're safe enough for you to own.

The ammo I load is supposed to BURN the powder... producing gaseous pressure that forces a projectile down a barrel. If my rounds explode I have a big problem. It's simple- a BOMB and a CARTRIDGE are different and have different purposes. Sure, ok there are some similarities. Read the thread a couple dozen ago by US 82... my ammo isn't like that.

Um, what do you think a pipe bomb does? The difference is where the pressure is directed.

How is it ridiculous?

Martlet,

Are you trying to tell me that if you found out that the person living right next door to you had a collection of pipe bombs you wouldn't call the police? My first thought would be Tim Mcveigh. I don't see how a rational person could think bomb building is an appropriate "hobby". As for speeding, it's a civil motor vehicle infraction' calling the local police about speeders is the work of a busy body.

Do you stay clear of propane, oil, and gas trucks too?

Well, I do like to stay away from them, but not for that reason. Mainly because a lot of the MA CDLs drive like the typical ma**h*** driver.

Sorry, I don't understand the context. I get upset too.

Well, basically, rep points don't matter, until you have all 13 red chicklets next to your name, then it's just an eyesore. Many of the frequent users of the board don't even know how to use the system. Honestly, I didn't even know I could rep you multiple times in one day as on all the other vBulletin boards I've been on, you can only rep someone once, and then you need to rep anywhere from 5-30 other people before you can rep them again. I was sort of surprised when it didn't stop me.

Anyways, again, I apologize.

Now, where's Half Cocked and law dawg? I'd love to see their opinions on this one.

The ammo I load is supposed to BURN the powder... producing gaseous pressure that forces a projectile down a barrel. If my rounds explode I have a big problem. It's simple- a BOMB and a CARTRIDGE are different and have different purposes. Sure, ok there are some similarities. Read the thread a couple dozen ago by US 82... my ammo isn't like that.

The point I'm making is if you do it properly a bomb is just as safe as a round.
You still need to open a jar/jug of powder and so do I. You use your rounds in to a berm, I use my bomb in an empty open field. You get enjoyment from shooting a tight group, I get enjoyment out of making a 100ft mushroom cloud. [smile]

Who's the douche that went through and left me negative for every one of my posts? At least have the sack to leave your name.

Weren't me. I got negged too. [angry]

To the board:

That spat of neg reps (or at least the one I'm aware of) was from me. Really bad few weeks, and it just sort of spilled over. Martlet doesn't deserve that, although I disagree with him on just about everything but RKBA. Once the 24 hour queue limit is up, I will be adding those points back.

I will say, though, that all the neg reps I get (I get quite a few) are anonymous. I know it is possible for the administrator to set reps so that everyone can see the username of the person who posts reps, if Derek is interested.

I deserve to get negged for my actions, so please commence. My apologies to Martlet, and please now return to your regularly scheduled trainwreck.

So did you neg everybody in the thread ? [shocked]

WTF good does that do ? I'm not going to participate in a "rep fight" so that's it for me on this wreck of a thread.

I damm sure ain't giving you a +1, but I won't neg you.

Enough of this crap.

It's my business that you could be driving down the road, get in an accident, and I stop to help you. Your CCW is dislodged, and I accidentally grab it, shooting me in the forehead.

Or your house catches on fire and ammo goes off, striking my wife in the ass.

Better turn in your guns. I don't think they're safe enough for you to own.

I'll admit that there are lots of things that could kill me. But the last thing I want killing me is some drunk who loved to put shody explosives together for kicks. There is also a difference between an accident and knowledgably creating a dangerous situation.

Martlet,

Are you trying to tell me that if you found out that the person living right next door to you had a collection of pipe bombs you wouldn't call the police?

Most likely I would not, unless he gave me reason to think I need to. Back home, many of my friends had a bunch of pipe bombs for setting off in the pit.

My first thought would be Tim Mcveigh. I don't see how a rational person could think bomb building is an appropriate "hobby".

Odd. That's the same argument the Fudds and antis use.

As for speeding, it's a civil motor vehicle infraction' calling the local police about speeders is the work of a busy body.

So isn't calling the police about a person with a pipe bomb.

Pipe bomb = pressure directed in all directions.
Small arms cartridge = pressure forced behind the bullet to propel in a specific direction.

I wonder if we're ever going to find out what kind of pipe bombs they were. If they were just explosive, then perhaps he never intended any harm to anyone. If they had nails or other projectiles in them, then perhaps he intended to harm someone.

Like I've said and will maintain, I have no problem with Jim calling it in and I'm glad he was caught. I will not go out of my way to shop at ZHA but if I'm in the area I will likely stop in like I always do whenever I'm in an area with a gun store.

Martlet,

Are you trying to tell me that if you found out that the person living right next door to you had a collection of pipe bombs you wouldn't call the police? My first thought would be Tim Mcveigh. I don't see how a rational person could think bomb building is an appropriate "hobby". As for speeding, it's a civil motor vehicle infraction' calling the local police about speeders is the work of a busy body.

This sounds like a post out of Democratic underground.

If my neighbor was a good guy what business is it of mine? WHY IS IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BOMB OR BOMBS YOU'RE GOING TO KILL PEOPLE???!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

WHY WHY WHY???????????????????????????????????????????

Most likely I would not, unless he gave me reason to think I need to. Back home, many of my friends had a bunch of pipe bombs for setting off in the pit.

Odd. That's the same argument the Fudds and antis use.

So isn't calling the police about a person with a pipe bomb.

It appears we are on different sides of this incident. But if I knew that a person who likes his Jack Daniels a little too much was building bombs I would call the Police.

Last edited:
You get enjoyment from shooting a tight group, I get enjoyment out of making a 100ft mushroom cloud. [smile]

I'd love to see that... but then I'd have to turn you in! Unless you showed me how to shoot a tight group! (Sorry for giving the impression of flip flopping but it's time for more fun and I must move on for now [smile]).

I'll admit that there are lots of things that could kill me. But the last thing I want killing me is some drunk who loved to put shody explosives together for kicks. There is also a difference between an accident and knowledgably creating a dangerous situation.

That's my point. It isn't any more dangerous than most of the other things we discuss here. It SEEMS dangerous to you because you're unfamiliar with it.

Weren't me. I got negged too. [angry]

So did you neg everybody in the thread ? [shocked]

ATTENTION

I did NOT neg everyone in this thread. I negged Martlet many times, and 40S&W two or three times (mainly because he ridiculed the news story as made up, along with the poster who posted it, I felt that deserved a neg rep). Someone else was going around and negging multiple people with the comment "idiot" (Milsurps got hit by it, and I see a few others did too)

THAT was not me.

The whole anonymous negative reputation thing is cowardly bullshit. I've never given one to anybody and I never will. I also have never even looked at mine because I don't care what anyone who isn't willing to stand up on their hind legs and be up front thinks about shit.

It's playground crap and I'm not playing.

BTW, I love seeing things blow up.

Like Gringo I too made hydrogen, acetylene, gunpowder, and flash powder growing up. My dad was part and parcel of it. He provided the recipes and material and made sure we built things safely. I guess by todays standards he would be considered a criminal and bad parent.

We assembled the materials into small devices using balloons, model airplanes, paint cans, tin cans, empty CO2 cartridges and model rocket engines. Model rocket fuses were the preferred ignition mechanism because they could be detonated on command from a distance.

We used them to make noise, blow holes in the ground, destroy model airplanes and even to try to remove small stumps. A tractor is a better at removing stumps, but not quite as much fun. Yes we used them to destroy property, our property, so who the heck cares.

I tend to agree with Martlet and a few others that this was an overreaction, but I'm not surprised. As far as possessing such devices I think one should no more have to justify their possession than they would a gun, or a civil war cannonball. It is not the government's job to keep us safe from ourselves.

I would also suggest that in a strictly logical world the illegality of the devices might be questionable. The applicable MGl seems to indicate intent to harm or unusual explosiveness. I've not heard any intent to harm in the reports. If any threat was made then throw the book at him. If not, then not. AFAIK there is no law against stupidity in not keeping your mouth shut.

And who is to say what level of explosiveness is "unusual". A nuke, yes, but some might consider the amount of explosiveness in a single loaded round to be unusual. For those that claim that reloading or black powder is different I would just note that we sometimes used, and preferred, store-bought black powder; guess what it was sold for.

As far as the person who reports, I'm a bit biased, but in this case I think it a bit strong to call him a rat, at least not without more info. I don't think I would have not have called the police unless there was something else besides the mere existence of the devices to make me think he might be a danger to others.

Last edited:
I'll admit that I can see parts of the arguements for both sides. The one thing I will never agree with is comparing bombs to guns, they are not the same and the ATF will agree as well as many others.

Yes I suppose that you have to take in to account a persons intent of why they are making it. Is it for fun or do they plan on blowing up Barney's playground? Still the fact remains that explosives are inherently dangerous.

Shooting guns can be dangerous too but we all do it. In both cases it takes training and knowledge to do both safely. (BTW my guns are staying right where they are Martlet, nobody is getting my lovlies)

Society can't appease everyone everywhere so it needs to reach a "happy" medium. That's why some things are legal and some are not. Like I said in an earlier post if you don't like the laws then get the heck out of Dodge!

Just like this thread I am done and should have finished earlier but I guess I love having heated discussions with people.

If my neighbor was a good guy what business is it of mine? WHY IS IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BOMB OR BOMBS YOU'RE GOING TO KILL PEOPLE???!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

So if I moved next door to you and my favorite pastime is collecting plutonium and radioactive materials for the purpose of making bombs that's would be my business? I just can't seem to see this issue from the perspective of "it's none of my business".

So if I moved next door to you and my favorite pastime is collecting plutonium and radioactive materials for the purpose of making bombs that's would be my business? I just can't seem to see this issue from the perspective of "it's none of my business".

I see you have thrown in the towel. Honestly are you actually f***ING SERIOUS?

Comparing plutonium and radioactive materials to black powder????????

You must be a troll from DU.com [troll]

Society can't appease everyone everywhere so it needs to reach a "happy" medium. That's why some things are legal and some are not. Like I said in an earlier post if you don't like the laws then get the heck out of Dodge!

Society doesn't have to appease everyone. They should just keep their nose out of my business.

The whole "if you don't like it, move" notion irks me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumenigma
Just like this thread I am done and should have finished earlier but I guess I love having heated discussions with people.

For the most part it was civil. It's good and healthly to have these once in a while. [wink]

If you guys start hugging I'm going to stop reading this thread.[hmmm]

The hardest part about this subject is making a case against this guy without contradicting some of the reasons we own guns. You can't ethically hunt with a bomb, and you can't defend yourself in a practical sense with a bomb. But there are some firearms that aren't too practical or suitable for hunting that I want to own anyway. However, a gun is something I have total control of. I load it, I chamber a round, I turn the safety off, and I pull the trigger. Firing a gun is a more stable process than combining a couple chemicals. I will concede, though, that my reaction to this story is more on a gut level because I am not familliar with bombs.

I see you have thrown in the towel. Honestly are you actually f***ING SERIOUS?

Comparing plutonium and radioactive materials to black powder????????

You must be a troll from DU.com [troll]

The comparison was intentionally done to show how ridiculous it is to compare all of this to things like speeding. Feel free to IM me, I am certainly no Democrat troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom