1 Punch Death, 3 Months In Prison

Ah, he turned around and punched a guy who had his hands in his pockets. He may not have meant to kill him, but he was trying to hurt him. 3 months is ridiculous for murder, even if it's accidental.

fastforward to about 45 seconds, guy who got punched had his hands in his pocket but was supposedly saying something--borderline sucker punch. I guess if you're insulting someone you should expect a punch but dead men tell no tales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, he turned around and punched a guy who had his hands in his pockets. He may not have meant to kill him, but he was trying to hurt him. 3 months is ridiculous for murder, even if it's accidental.

It's a weird case. Death via sucker punch is not that common.

I do agree with the judge giving him probation over jail time, but I think he should of had a large does of community service lumped into it also.

I know two different people who killed someone with a single punch, both in MA, both while at college, one went to prison for 5yrs, one walked.

I good case for all the Antis who try and say, yeah he broke into your house, he didn't have a weapon so you didn't have to shoot him.

People believe what they see on television, where you can knock someone unconscious with a punch or blow to the head, and they go to sleep and wake up a little while later with nothing but a sore head. In real life it can cripple or kill them.

Definite sucker punch by a guy MUCH bigger. He deserves a heck of a lot more than 3 months. The guy clearly cannot control himself.

No idea what to think on this one. A sucker punch that results in death should be murder in my opinion. But, after watching the video the guy might have had reason to do it if the other guy was approaching him from behind and threatening him. We'll never know.

No idea what to think on this one. A sucker punch that results in death should be murder in my opinion. But, after watching the video the guy might have had reason to do it if the other guy was approaching him from behind and threatening him. We'll never know.

That's pretty much where I sit on this one......

a bitch punch killed someone.
At least this time it wasn't some chode baseball fan from Modesto punching someone in the back of the head.

Ol coach there should be doing far more than 3 months. This is what I call a miscarriage, and would definitely give dead guy's family a pass should something unfortunate occur to the coach once he gets out from his sabatical.

3 Months seems pretty absurd for taking someone's life. Regardless of the circumstances, the overt actions of Hawkins resulted in death. I don't know how threatening the victim can be when his hands were in his pockets.

No idea what to think on this one. A sucker punch that results in death should be murder in my opinion.

I disagree. Murder requires an intent to kill. I don't think he intended to kill the guy, but his actions did result in the man's death. That sure sounds to me like involuntary manslaughter. Whether or not the sentence is appropriate for involuntary manslaughter is a different matter.

But, after watching the video the guy might have had reason to do it if the other guy was approaching him from behind and threatening him.

So the guy was mouthing off at him. So what? Just walk away.

There simply isn't enough information in that tiny clip to make many of the statements above. Even manslaughter is a stretch it would be hard to prove that he acted with the "reckless wanton disregard for human life" because he made attempts to walk away and with his statements of "don't touch me". With his "pre existing" head injury he could argue that it was unsafe to try to flee as he didn't want to expose that area to someone who already is using a hands on approach.

To play devils advocate, How many times after you tell someone not to touch you do you let them touch you. I think one time is good.

Last edited:
To play devils advocate, How many times after you tell someone not to touch you do you let them touch you. I think one time is good.

^ this ^

i'm only going to tell you once.

it's like threatening to kill me. if you don't have a weapon in your hand, i'm going to punch you in the troat at the minimum.... life is full of choices.

why would i willing taunt a dude bigger than me? i wouldn't... oh maybe, courage juice... nevermind. [laugh] don't poke the bear.

Vegas justice - kill someone, 3 months. Hold someone in a hotel room against their will over a property dispute - 33 years.

Sounds to me like guy he punched was bragging about beating up black people in the bathroom then came at the guy who defended himself by punching the man coming up behind him.

Sounds to me like guy he punched was bragging about beating up black people in the bathroom then came at the guy who defended himself by punching the man coming up behind him.

He was defending himself against a loudmouth who had his hands in his pockets?

Seriously, just walk away.

He was defending himself against a loudmouth who had his hands in his pockets?

Seriously, just walk away.

define walking away? 15 paces? 30? 100? a threat is a threat. frankly, i'd be more worried of a dude smaller than me threatening me that a dude my size or larger. but i'm funny like that.

Vegas justice - kill someone, 3 months. Hold someone in a hotel room against their will over a property dispute - 33 years.

A comment not up to your usual erudite standard Rob. Not a fair comparison and you know why. The perp in the second case you cited was really convicted for another crime, you know the one he got away with [wink]. I think perp #2 got exactly what he deserved, YMMV. The perp in the first case has had his life ruined and can no longer coach or teach, he can probably get a job as a roofer or working at a car wash.

I was not present at the trial, nor to the best of my knowledge were any of the Forum members. It's really easy to do some Monday morning legal quarterbacking on this one. Involuntary manslaughter is always a tricky one, and frequently the sentence is criticized as being too lenient or too harsh depending on the court and the case. Sometimes as a defendant you get lucky like this one did, and other times you get a true miscarriage of justice. I think of all homicide charges involuntary manslaughter is the toughest one for judges and juries.

define walking away? 15 paces? 30? 100? a threat is a threat. frankly, i'd be more worried of a dude smaller than me threatening me that a dude my size or larger. but i'm funny like that.

Keep walking. Get away. Call the police. A guy 15 paces away with his hands in his pockets simply is NOT an immediate threat. If he draws a knife or gun, that is a different matter. But he didn't.

Why do you want to get in a fight if you don't have to?

This isn't high school anymore. If you get into a fight there will be legal consequences.

Keep walking. Get away. Call the police. A guy 15 paces away with his hands in his pockets simply is NOT an immediate threat. If he draws a knife or gun, that is a different matter. But he didn't.

This isn't high school anymore. If you get into a fight there will be legal consequences.

+1
Fight if you must for your safety, never for your ego.

Although I generally agree with your statements on this. One would need to look at totality of circumstances. The video is not long enough. If (this is a BIG IF) there was threats in the bathroom. As well as battery or at least contact and the person was gaining on him while walking (not 15 paces away) and the individual felt he could not safely run away for whatever reason and believed this person was about to cause harm to him. Would that change your thinking?

Although I generally agree with your statements on this. One would need to look at totality of circumstances. The video is not long enough. If (this is a BIG IF) there was threats in the bathroom. As well as battery or at least contact and the person was gaining on him while walking (not 15 paces away) and the individual felt he could not safely run away for whatever reason and believed this person was about to cause harm to him. Would that change your thinking?

Oh, come on, Mike. Seriously.

The man touched him. Did he hit him? No. Did he try to punch him? No. He touched him. He mouthed off at him. He followed him.

The man was "about to cause harm to him" with his hands in his pockets? Look, the creep was trying to provoke a fight and he did. But Hawkins allowed himself to be provoked and he threw the first punch. If the creep threw the first punch that would have been a very different situation. But he didn't.

If you want to claim self defense, you must show that you did nothing to escalate the situation and that you tried to get out of it. Turning and throwing the first punch certainly did escalate the situation.

Did the creep deserve a beat down? Sure. But that is not legal.

My ego will better survive walking away from a jerk than 3 months in prison. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom