10/22's are Addictive - My 1st Build

So, My wife and I bought matching 10/22's in September from Dick's and I did all the work to replace a few things in them (listed below) to turn them into LTR's. My wife's rifle never seemed to shoot very well (3-4 inch groups), while mine was doing pretty darn good at keeping 1inch groups at 15yards, so she stopped using it.

Here's the parts that were replaced before a single shot was ever fired:
  • Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer
  • Bell and Carlson Extended Magazine Release
  • Tech-Sights for Ruger 10/22

After letting it sit in the safe for 8months without anyone to love it, I decided just after the July4th weekend to do something with it and started by buying a new barrel and stock and use a scope & bipod that was laying around to see what could be done to improve the crappy shooter.

New Items:
  • Adams & Bennett 18" Bull Barrel
  • Fajen Legacy Series Adjustable Stock
  • Harris Bi-Pod
  • NCStar 4-16x40 Small Cross

So, here's what it looks like now:
JRG1022RifleBuild.jpg

and here are the groups its getting at 50 yards (w/ CCI MiniMag):
50YardGroups1_07-15-2009.jpg
The fliers are all me.

I have a shopping list of things to get next, but suggestions on improvements are more than welcome.
MyList:
  • Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor
  • Power Custom Competition Extended Bolt Handle and Recoil Spring Assembly

Last edited:
Because in typical fashion, I just ordered a set and you'll probably post yours up for sale the day of delivery. Laughing at myself really.

Where did you get the barrel? I'm shopping now and most shops seem to be out of stock on GM bbls.

Because in typical fashion, I just ordered a set and you'll probably post yours up for sale the day of delivery. Laughing at myself really.

Where did you get the barrel? I'm shopping now and most shops seem to be out of stock on GM bbls.
Right here on NES: WTB classifieds. Midway & Cabellas has 10/22 bull barrels in stock.

Hold out for the GM barrel. I have a 20" fluted bull barrel and it is incredibly accurate; I love it. I can put 10 shots under a dime at 50 yards if I do my part. They are picky with ammo, though. Mine eats the Federal Champion blue box stuff and does quite well with it.

That depends on what you mean by modify. 99% of the changes people make to the 10/22 are just parts swaps. If you want to bed the stock or locate/drill a cleaning rod hole in the receiver it's a little more work.

What do you have in mind?

Doing the changes i made for just the Stock&Barrel required no skill at all, and worked perfectly the first time (however i had to sand down the stock a little in the barrel valley to keep it floating as there were a few contact points that could cause accuracy problems in the long run).

The trigger replacement and other stuff only required a few skills:
1) the ability to follow a parts assembly schematic (so when you take it apart you can put it back together without guessing or having "extra" parts at the end).
2) PATIENCE, as anyone who's striped the action of any gun can tell you, little springs and tight fits are a pain in the @$$, get some plastic toothpicks (or some other fine-tipped tools.. model tools are great for this) and a good desk lamp, and something to hold the receiver with (a vice works, but a robot arm clamp is awesome).

You can google or search RimFireCentral.com for any specific questions regarding replacing parts on a 10/22; as the answers on that site go from the most simple drop-in replacements to the most advanced stuff like filing, stoning and polishing the stock parts to make them almost as good as the aftermarket replacements, there's even post about making your own parts from aluminum/etc.

But to answer simply... Its only as complicated as you want to make it.
You'll immediately see a 100% improvement by replacing the barrel and the hammer/sear.

Anyone can easily get the kind of accuracy 90% of the "sup'ed up" 10/22's get with about $300 in drop-in parts and a little patience.

I'm ok with reliable 1-2inch groups at 100 yards from my 10/22... some people arent.

That last 10% is where your costs and complexity will go through the roof..

Back
Top Bottom