10.5 Build.

Firstly I have to start off and give credit where credit is due, and it is due to fellow forum member patio who started me on this build.

I obtained the lower back in May of 2008, initially I was all set with doing any kind of SBR or SPR rifle, I just recognized the value of a Preban lower in a restrictive state. It was not until patio took me under his wing with whispers of what could really be done with a Preban lower that my eyes were opened and let me tell you baby I soared.

Here is the lower as I first got it plain as day.

lower.jpg

Next came the selection of the upper. I went with Troy Industries who had a great reputation for manufacture and as an added bonus were only a few towns away from me. While it doesn't always happen, since they were close by, I was able to speak directly with everyone involved in the process from sales to billing to the owner (Hi guys), a great bunch of people all around. I was also able to speak directly with the builder who went over all of the options available to me from their railing system, to their barrels, to their muzzle options -specifically brakes, to the sights and lastly the color scheme.

muzzle.jpg

Troy Industries Medieval muzzle brake

As you can see it all turned out top notch.

troy.jpg

Completed Upper

Back to the overall project.

The first addition to the lower a full year later after getting my tax stamp, meeting with my C.O.P and lots of other small hoops was to change out the grip for something more comfortable.

a_better_grip.jpg

Since this rifle was more about plinking while comfortable with a slight segue into home defense if needed, I added a collapsible stock and later a cheek riser, options I was able to again exercise due to the Preban status of the lower.

market_for_a_stock.jpg

twist_n_turn.jpg

Installation of the stock on the lower.

While there I swapped out the standard AR carbine buffer with a hydraulic buffer to add that 1.x amount of extra weight...because lets face it this AR was far too light.[wink] In actuality, the combination of a hydraulic buffer with a muzzle brake will help you to keep a rifle as flat as possible, obtain quicker follow up shots and keep you right on target.

The hydraulic buffer eliminates bolt bounce, and lessens muzzle flip due to less force acting within the buttstock. If you happen to go Full Auto, the forward momentum of the buffer helps push the next round in the cycle forward. The same applies not just for hydraulic buffers but heavy buffers as well.

Muzzle brakes/Compensators redirect gases and sound to the sides of the firearm, they are loud but steady. In the end both are excellent tools in the battle against recoil reduction and muzzle rise.

carbine_buffers.jpg

Buffer comparison.

standard_buffer.jpg

Standard buffer.

Hydraulic_buffer.jpg

Hydraulic buffer.

You've already heard the joke that goes 'Well since you're already there...', while there I tightened things up with an Accuwedge. The jury is still out on these, but I can attest that the upper and lower fit is so tight that you need a pin to push out the rear lower pin. Its snug.

wedge_buffer.jpg

The Accuwedge and the Hydraulic buffer in place.

Since this was already an episode of Pimp my rifle™ , the front sight post on the upper was swapped out for a fiber optic post. First of all, it gives you the ability to quickly acquire a sight picture with your BUIS, but secondly why should the IT guys be the only ones to have all the fun with fiber?

fiber.jpg

Front post.
fiber2.jpg

Quick aquisition.

The last thing I did was to swap out the standard flat trigger guard to something I could use while wearing gloves, this is after all New England and shooting in the middle of winter gives you 1) a free range devoid of all but the most hardcore of shooters, and 2) freezes your fingers while shooting. As par for the course I had already invested in shooting gloves so the enhanced trigger guard to allow for their use with the rifle naturally was a no brainer..

And...since I had already planned on shooting with gloves, on the opposite side of the rifle I installed an over-sized magazine release. It works well with or without gloves, there is no mistaking it, or leaning the rifle out of sight alignment to tab it.

trigger_release.jpg

Over-sized trigger guard and magazine release.

The completed package:

final.jpg

flat2.jpg

I got it out last weekend and passed it around to a few friends, as luck would have it we got a lucky shot while my friend was shooting it, which I am able to share with you with his permission.

SBR's not just loud...but AWESOME:

flash.jpg

Even the Green Lantern agrees. I think he may turn in the Golden Ring of power for a 10.5”.

Nice fireball! Mine unfortunately makes no fireball. I love my compensator too much to change it though just for a fireball.

Have you tried shooting it at dusk? I bet it makes a fireball then.

Different types of 5.56 NATO also have different levels of flash. Some of the old Fed XM193 created huge fireballs. [laugh]

-Mike

Yep - seeing stuff like that is going to cost me. Same barrel length I was thinking about, too. My only objection is the tan stuff, but that's firmly in the personal preference category. I like green![smile]

It is an excellent rifle, and sweet to shoot (the picture only shows the dramatic flair) [wink]

I'm envious, and better understand the word "covet", but alas, these things are way down on my list of "to dos/must haves". [sad]

I look forward to the next time [smile]

Back
Top Bottom