• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

16-18" AR10, would you go 308 or 6.5 creedmoor?

Most barrels I’ve bought have come in some sort of plastic tube or cardboard box (other than the shipping box) and almost always has rubber caps over both end to protect them. Even BA barrels ship like this. If this is how faxon ships their barrels I’m glad I never went with them.

@rcwhat

Oh the red caps were on it when i got it. But i am smart enough to check under them asap. It was wrapped in some plastic wrap with a gray usps wrapping on it. There was no protection on it like a cardboard box or bubble wrap.

I am guessing this is what i get for dealing with joebob. But they were the only company that had the barrel in stock.. if my go to normal businesses had it i would have gone with them

Finally got the new barrel. Glad they could make it right. Still has a little hit at the top below the threads. But at least the barrel extension does not look like crap and the feedramps have less chatter than the last one. The ultimate test will be how accurate this barrel is

weight with scope and mag 11lbs 1 oz. weight without scope 10lbs. pretty decent weight for something like this vs a 13-14 lb regular SR25 m110. I also have a 1-4 optic that i can use for it as well. will later on get a 1-8 or something.

compared to a 8lb scar with plastic lower, and a 1lb scope. not too bad. better balance overall as well.

Update: groups well. Shot about 140 rounds, it is literally like shooting a 5.56 20200612_105624.jpg and then this happened. f*** MY LIFE nothing ever goes to plan. Maybe i should only buy mausers from now on.

Any reloaders got some advice on these cratered 6.5 loads?

That's what I warned about early on using a standard 308 bolt. You need the high pressure bolt with the smaller firing pin and hole for 6.5

Eventually you'll get one of those primers blowing a chunk back into the bolt thru the firing pin hole and jam you up big time. Been there, done than.

Here's the one I got - Toolcraft AR-10 / 308 / 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Carrier Group w/ High Pressure Bolt - Ion Bond DLC - AR15Discounts

Last edited:
Hmm since i already have a BC, JP sells just the bolt and firing pin i can throw in there

Who's BCG was that? Even the regular Aero ones are high pressure, made for 6.5 creed or .308. Aero uses a "medium" sized firing pin, little bigger than the tool craft little smaller than standard .308.

Well i just said F. Faxon and put in for a refund order from primary arms. they can't be trusted lol. So i will be on the lookout for either a JP, toolcraft, or some other reduced firing pin sized BCG that is in stock

Hmm since i already have a BC, JP sells just the bolt and firing pin i can throw in there

Those craters look like the clearance between the firing pin and its hole is too big. Broken extractor is a QC problem IMHO.

I forget which BCG I tried first for my 6.5CM build (Brownells house brand?) but I had trouble with it and returned it for full credit towards a complete JP BCG with the high pressure bolt. Zero problems since going to the JP and no cratering even with loads getting close to max.

I am a little surprised at such a problem with Faxon but I think it's probably just shit luck, which you seem to be having lately.

Faxon I typically put in the JP category. I like Aero BCG's in M5 more than toolcraft, except for the NB ones - in Aero the NB ones have a different machining, look less refined like toolcraft (who very well might make them all but does it differently for the Aero QPQ and phosphate versions).

This is a precision rifle. You'd have to get one of those $10K Sharps to shoot 45/70 and keep up. [smile]

Nah!!! A nice Pedersoli and you would be fine.

hell no @Michael J. Spangler lol i do not need another caliber. lol

@Mountain i do want a JP but it is like 200 for the bolt and then another 200 for the BC

Toolcraft does have a full BCG for 200 with a reduced fp hole size

Oh come on. We all need another cartridge. Especially a 45/70.

That's what I warned about early on using a standard 308 bolt. You need the high pressure bolt with the smaller firing pin and hole for 6.5

Eventually you'll get one of those primers blowing a chunk back into the bolt thru the firing pin hole and jam you up big time. Been there, done than.

Here's the one I got - Toolcraft AR-10 / 308 / 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Carrier Group w/ High Pressure Bolt - Ion Bond DLC - AR15Discounts

doing what i should have done and listened to you

TOTAL:
PRODUCTTOTAL
Toolcraft LR308 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Carrier Group - Nitride (Double Ejector) × 1$166.74
SUBTOTAL:$166.74
SHIPPING:$6.00 via Shipping
CARRIER INSURANCE: - NO$0.00
SIGNATURE REQUIRED: - NO$0.00
TAX:$0.00
PAYMENT METHOD:Authorize.net

Just an FYI, I had some trouble getting a double ejector toolcraft working right in a 308 before, theoretically could work better but mine wouldn't run for shit. Did not get into playing with the gas block adjustment, springs etc I just gave up on it and am perfectly reliable with a single. Just something to mention.

thanks @teamRR i hope this solves the issue. if it does not well, i don't know what else i can do to get the problem to go away. other than an adjustable gas block, and that might not even solve this.

Hmmm this is interesting, what we are talking about prompted me to compare BCG's..

Top, Aero M4 for comparison then Aero M5, middle dual extractor toolcraft, bottom Aero M5. The NB Aero and Toolcraft are cut the same. Larger slot too.

The Aero M5 QPQ is different.

What is interesting is I wonder which is a "full auto" M5 bolt carrier here. Normally in M4 the shorter slot is FA, but the Aero M5 QPQ has a different cut width than the M4, and the width of the M4, M5 NB, and toolcraft carriers all match. Aero M4 is a FA cut, makes me think the Aero M5 QPQ isn't however normally the longer slot means its the bastardized bolt carrier version in M4 speak..

Does it matter, no, not unless you have an auto sear or are going to an echo II binary, just first I noticed this.

20200612_164005(0).jpg

20200612_164041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom