• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

16-18" AR10, would you go 308 or 6.5 creedmoor?

thanks @teamRR i hope this solves the issue. if it does not well, i don't know what else i can do to get the problem to go away. other than an adjustable gas block, and that might not even solve this.
Whatever happened with this? Did you get it to run? Curious people want to know, or at least I do.

So i ordered the new toolcraft bolt. And JP adjustable detent gas block. My friend is going to put that on. I do not know when he will get that work done. But i told him test fire it after he finishes.

I am in the dark as much as you currently.

So i ordered the new toolcraft bolt. And JP adjustable detent gas block. My friend is going to put that on. I do not know when he will get that work done. But i told him test fire it after he finishes.

(knocking wood) I've had 0 problems since putting in the toolcraft bolt. Used S&B, Hornady and I think one other brand of 6.5 ammo with it and at least 2 different shooters too and not a single issue.

Ever get your rifle back? All fixed? Or do you want to start selling some of that 6.5 you stocked up on?

Haha. With the toolcraft BCG things are perfect headstamps on the rifle now. I did also add the JP adjustable gas block which could also be helping. Hardest part now waiting on Forster to fix the full length sizer die that was under reamed. Ruined probably 10-15 cases lol. Have 300 140gr bullets, and 8lbs of H4350 for the gun along with 100 or so brass cases. All held up because of optics planet...

Next project is installing the cry havoc QRB on my pre healey AR15

The s&b does seem like a heavier charge than the Hornady. Thus the primer flattening but it does not crater

I just checked my big bag of 6.5CM S&B brass that I've been shooting thru this and the primers look exactly the same as your picture. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

@jpm how much for the cases [pot] ;)

How many are you looking for? Its a combination of Hornady and S&B which is all I have used in it.

Also just looked at some of the unfired S&B 6.5CM I have and the primers already look flattened. There's virtually no countersink around the primer pocket.

If I didn't reload, I'd get the .308. You can get less expensive surplus ammo to play with in .308 that's not available in 6.5 and the .308 will do the job just as well as the 6.5 unless you'll shooting exclusively at very long range.

Shot a bunch of magtech and hornday and s&b and all was going well till i was shooting a bunch and then next thing i know a round did not go off and yanked the charging handle back and out comes a bunch of powder. So there is a bullet in the rifling at the begining and my friend is going to get a metal rod to hammer it out. I am curious to see if it 1 or 2 bullets backed up in the barrel. Should be interesting. This build never ends [banghead]

Shot a bunch of magtech and hornday and s&b and all was going well till i was shooting a bunch and then next thing i know a round did not go off and yanked the charging handle back and out comes a bunch of powder. So there is a bullet in the rifling at the begining and my friend is going to get a metal rod to hammer it out. I am curious to see if it 1 or 2 bullets backed up in the barrel. Should be interesting. This build never ends [banghead]
So the primer did not go off? I wonder if it was completely in battery.

It appeared to be S&B.

It makes me wonder if i need to buy a crimp die for when i start reloading.

Not an issue in bolt guns but i do know that ar10s slam bullets into chambers pretty rough so i wonder what happened.

You kids and your fancy calibers and fancy semi auto firearms. Definitely a strange situation, can't say I have had that happen before.

@Tallahassee yes i know those fancy semi autos.. but i could say the same to you with your fancy bolt actions in fancy calibers... as i hold my WW2 1941 BYF mauser k98... ;)

Btw i saw you ordered 2 boxes of the 6.5 american gunner.. do you reload 6.5?

@Tallahassee yes i know those fancy semi autos.. but i could say the same to you with your fancy bolt actions in fancy calibers... as i hold my WW2 1941 BYF mauser k98... ;)

Btw i saw you ordered 2 boxes of the 6.5 american gunner.. do you reload 6.5?
A friend of mine convinced me to try some of the American gunner, I was somewhat impressed with the results he was getting. But, to answer your question, I don't reload 6.5 yet. Not sure when I will, probably wont be for a while. The factory ammo that I have tried so far shoots really well.

It appeared to be S&B.

It makes me wonder if i need to buy a crimp die for when i start reloading.

Not an issue in bolt guns but i do know that ar10s slam bullets into chambers pretty rough so i wonder what happened.
You shouldn't need a crimp die. Do you have a set of bullet comparators to check bullet seating depth using the ogive?

Also if you don't have one, one of these and a 6.5CM modified case will let you figure out exactly where the lands are for your barrel and bullet so you can set your bullet depth accordingly.

Apologies if you already have these and I am being captain obvious. :)

Back
Top Bottom