• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

160 Grain 9mm?

I was going to order some lead this AM and noticed that along with the 115 and 124 grain the site offered 150 grain SWC and 160 Grain LRN. Does anyone shoot generally shoot 9mm that's this heavy and why? Are there even heavier pills out there in nine? I've heard it said that there is less felt recoil in a say in a 147 grain bullet over a 115grain. If that's true, 160 grains is like a bowling ball.
Thanks.

A lot of competitive shooters have tried 160 then quickly switched back to 147s. I'm sure some people like them though.

I've heard it said that there is less felt recoil in a say in a 147 grain bullet over a 115grain.
Thanks.

Jut remember, this is entirely subjective. I have tried both, shooting magazines of different loads, mixing rounds in the same magazine, etc. All loaded to similar PF. I simply cannot tell. Nor could I detect any change in accuracy. Others swear it is true, for them it probably is. It may also be dependant on powder type?
But you never know until you try.

160grs is a little more than the 9mm is intended to handle. I use them because I have a bunch left over from my 38 Super days. These bullets, when seated properly, don't leave a lot of room in the case for the powder. This seems to result in high pressures. Fired cases have flattened primers that you would expect with much hotter loads. I am not worried because I am shooting a 125 power factor or less, but I would not attempt any hotter loads.

Years ago I tried some 158 grain bullets sized to .356" in my P-85. With loads right out of the Lyman? book, my brass emerged sans primer. My guess is that to make OAL, the bullet had to be seated too deep hence raising pressures. I only fired 2 and the velocities were slightly higher than what the manual said. The first primerless case escaped notice, the 2nd hit me with the primer. Some people use these heavy bullets in .38 Super to make Major, a lot easier pressure-wise than 9MM.

One other thought is that the .357 sig could probably push them to supersonic speeds. Just another option.

Which now has me thinking that if you want to come up with a suppressed round, a very hot 160 gr load would be quiet and powerful

Don

Back
Top Bottom