18 and clueless. Please help.

Vii

Hi everyone, I have a question for all of you great shooters out there in New England. How would one that is 18 years old with no family involved in firearms get into the sport? I have been interested in firearms all my life. Being fascinated by how they work and what makes them work and the history behind it all. But instead of telling my friends and such about how much I know about firearms, I also want experience and to compete in the amazing sport. But having no sponsor or parent or anyone in fact, that is involved with recreational or competitive shooting....well I find it kind of hard to start into the sport. Seeing kids younger than I am on youtube being able to shoot in rifle or pistol competitions already make me envious. I am alone on trying to get into this sport and hobby and living in MA isn't really a huge plus either. That is why I seek the knowledge of you experienced shooters out there that can help guide my way into the sport and hobby because I have been on my own on trying to join this community and sport. Please help me and thank you very much.

First step would be to take the Firearms Safety Course or Basic Hunter Safety Course so you can apply for your FID.

- - - Updated - - -

GOAL has some good info about the FID process....

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/FIDapply.html

First step would be to take the Firearms Safety Course or Basic Hunter Safety Course so you can apply for your FID.GOAL has some good info about the FID process....

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/FIDapply.html
Thank you for the reply dbott63. I am trying to find a club or place to do that, I guess I'm just not searching hard enough. I think I would accomplish this at the mass firearms school. Oh thank you for the information.

MFS is good. There are lots Of folks on the forum that are certified instructors as well. Take a look at the Training section.

Training

Thank you for the reply dbott63. I am trying to find a club or place to do that, I guess I'm just not searching hard enough. I think I would accomplish this at the mass firearms school. Oh thank you for the information.

where are you located? I think most towns/cities have their own firearms safety course. Worcester has one like once a month or something.

Thank you all for the help and the replies, I will definitely talk to the people on the training forums and ask for their help also. I am very grateful to you all, but I need to call it a night today so thank you again for helping.

- - - Updated - - -

where are you located? I think most towns/cities have their own firearms safety course. Worcester has one like once a month or something.
I am located in MA around the Hampden area if that helps.

In what part of the state do you live? I guarantee you that there are people on this forum that will gladly take a youngster to the range and allow them to shoot. If you are in the western part of the state, let me know.

Are you independent enough from your parents that they won't have a problem with you meeting "strangers" at a range to shoot? People will be cautious about not wanting angry parents contacting the authorities to snoop around...

I second the Appleseed Project, CMP shoots, etc. You will only be able to get your FID card while younger than 21, so you will only be able to purchase long guns until you can get your LTC, but you can shoot handguns under the supervision of someone who is licensed.

I came into the sport with a very similar background to you. No family members, friends, etc involved in shooting. Try to enroll in one of the MA Hunter Safety Courses as soon as you can. They post the schedule online (MassWildlife - Basic Hunter Education Course Listing) but it is not always kept up-to-date. This was the first step I took, and I was able to get into a class that was marked as "full" by calling and speaking with them, granted this was several years ago. Sometimes they keep a wait-list in case anyone decides to back out so it is worth checking. If you are unable to get into a course, there are plenty of instructors and courses that will fulfill the requirements needed to apply for your FID.

Not sure what part of the state you're from, but also try and get involved in a local club. Members are very willing to teach those that are new to the sport.

Good luck!

Vii

You'll get more pertinent info if you post your general location.

Many clubs have Basic Firearms classes, as do several of the "commercial" places, here.

The course that most people take is Basic Pistol. This will qualify you for an FID (you're too young for an LTC) and an LTC when you're 21. This course, as the name implies, is about handguns. If you're interested in long guns (which is all you can have for a few years), your best bet, IMO, is a Club local to you, after the course.

If you say where you are, several posters will say, "Join mine! we're awesome!". Then, go visit them.

Take your time. Some are more welcoming than others to new shooters, or are more interested in one type of shooting than another. Most clubs are just that, though, and if you say, "I wanna learn to shoot a rifle," several people will likely volunteer to show you the basics. If you were to come to the Trap field at my Club, several competent persons would be able to get you breaking them.

Find a Club that fits you. Then, find a Mentor. Then, find the x-ring.

As long as we meet at the range and I get to know and befriend you, I would love to go shooting with anyone willing to take me. As long as you're willing to take a 18 year old Asian male.
Plus I have my own car so transportation is not an issue.

Last edited:
I came into the sport with a very similar background to you. No family members, friends, etc involved in shooting. Try to enroll in one of the MA Hunter Safety Courses as soon as you can. They post the schedule online (MassWildlife - Basic Hunter Education Course Listing) but it is not always kept up-to-date. This was the first step I took, and I was able to get into a class that was marked as "full" by calling and speaking with them, granted this was several years ago. Sometimes they keep a wait-list in case anyone decides to back out so it is worth checking. If you are unable to get into a course, there are plenty of instructors and courses that will fulfill the requirements needed to apply for your FID.

Not sure what part of the state you're from, but also try and get involved in a local club. Members are very willing to teach those that are new to the sport.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply, I will probably sign up on Saturday for a safety firearms class at Mass Firearm School to get my Cert. for an FID. Thank you for the information.

Vii

You'll get more pertinent info if you post your general location.

Many clubs have Basic Firearms classes, as do several of the "commercial" places, here.

The course that most people take is Basic Pistol. This will qualify you for an FID (you're too young for an LTC) and an LTC when you're 21. This course, as the name implies, is about handguns. If you're interested in long guns (which is all you can have for a few years), your best bet, IMO, is a Club local to you, after the course.

If you say where you are, several posters will say, "Join mine! we're awesome!". Then, go visit them.

Take your time. Some are more welcoming than others to new shooters, or are more interested in one type of shooting than another. Most clubs are just that, though, and if you say, "I wanna learn to shoot a rifle," several people will likely volunteer to show you the basics. If you were to come to the Trap field at my Club, several competent persons would be able to get you breaking them.

Find a Club that fits you. Then, find a Mentor. Then, find the x-ring.
I'm interested in both as a gun enthusiast I would love anything that has to do with shooting but with my age Rifles will have to do for now. Thank you for replying to my cause and If your club is not 2 hours away from the Hampden County of MA, I would love to check your club out.

Haha I'd love to W.E.C but I don't think I could ever pass the training the recruits endure. I look up to any serviceman or branch of the army with the upmost respect and admiration. OH and thank you for replying.

I have to question why a healthy (I assume that you are healthy) 18 year old thinks they can't endure military training.

I'm a bit curious, do you live alone or still under the same roof as your parents. Are your parents simply not interested in guns, or are they against them? If you live under their roof I recommend that you either respect their rules or get your own roof.

Haha I'd love to W.E.C but I don't think I could ever pass the training the recruits endure. I look up to any serviceman or branch of the army with the upmost respect and admiration. OH and thank you for replying.
Don't sell yourself short. They have a funny way of making you pass and making you endure the training. The Marines Corp doesn't create Marines by driving out the weak and skimming off the cream. They make people into Marines.

I have to question why a healthy (I assume that you are healthy) 18 year old thinks they can't endure military training.

I'm a bit curious, do you live alone or still under the same roof as your parents. Are your parents simply not interested in guns, or are they against them? If you live under their roof I recommend that you either respect their rules or get your own roof.
It's more of a confidence issue but mostly my parents wouldnt like the idea of me joining the army.

- - - Updated - - -

Vii..I'm not sure how far you are from MFS but Remsport in Ludlow offers the Firearms Safety course. Check out the link below.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...y-ltc-class-new-class-scheduled-feb-10th.html
Im actually very close to ludlow and about an hour away from MFS

In what part of the state do you live? I guarantee you that there are people on this forum that will gladly take a youngster to the range and allow them to shoot. If you are in the western part of the state, let me know.

Are you independent enough from your parents that they won't have a problem with you meeting "strangers" at a range to shoot? People will be cautious about not wanting angry parents contacting the authorities to snoop around...

I second the Appleseed Project, CMP shoots, etc. You will only be able to get your FID card while younger than 21, so you will only be able to purchase long guns until you can get your LTC, but you can shoot handguns under the supervision of someone who is licensed.

This exactly. If you're on the North Shore , shoot me a PM. Good luck.

The Marines will make you confident.
I wouldn't doubt that...but after the training and probably being sent out to war is my biggest fear as I view guns as a sport and not a killing mechanic. Even with that said i love the army for what they do and for having that courage to protect the freedom of others and the freedom of us american citizens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom