1903 C stock , back in stock w/cross bolts

Update:

Too fat at the lower band- band won't fit. The original hand guard was thin and actually collapsed a bit at the band, so it fits on the loose side. That hand guard is pretty much a POS now, so when checking with a NOS hand guard the stock is too fat to close the band. Back burner for now- hope to have done by spring.

Update:

Too fat at the lower band- band won't fit. The original hand guard was thin and actually collapsed a bit at the band, so it fits on the loose side. That hand guard is pretty much a POS now, so when checking with a NOS hand guard the stock is too fat to close the band. Back burner for now- hope to have done by spring.
Thats sucks,
Both cmp stocks I bought where fat in the band area. I have a old C stock set aside for something. Its feels much larger in the hands than the 2 aftermarket.
Almost like the NM M14 stocks

Update:

My exact same experience re: lower band fit. Had to totally re-profile that area.

I've been putting off work on the 03A3 because at many points it's been a PITA. For sure I can see how these were designed to pop out of the factory much easier than the process for 03's. While fighting that fat stock I must have botched up the threads on the stamped sling swivel band- not hard to do as whatever band I had was a POS. I ordered some NOS Remington bands to replace it. There were some screws that somebody else messed up so I had already ordered those to have decent threads that won't mess up parts that are more expensive than screws.

Worked on shaving down that stock to fit close to original. Minelli width (?) was 1.24" across top edge and 1.40" across the middle, and top to bottom was 1.32". The original Smith Corona straight stock that came with the rifle is 1.16" across top edges, 1.27" across middle, and 1.35" top to bottom. New C-stock now has dimensions very close to the original. Will see how it shoots once the new bands deliver.

I've been putting off work on the 03A3 because at many points it's been a PITA. For sure I can see how these were designed to pop out of the factory much easier than the process for 03's. While fighting that fat stock I must have botched up the threads on the stamped sling swivel band- not hard to do as whatever band I had was a POS. I ordered some NOS Remington bands to replace it. There were some screws that somebody else messed up so I had already ordered those to have decent threads that won't mess up parts that are more expensive than screws.

Worked on shaving down that stock to fit close to original. Minelli width (?) was 1.24" across top edge and 1.40" across the middle, and top to bottom was 1.32". The original Smith Corona straight stock that came with the rifle is 1.16" across top edges, 1.27" across middle, and 1.35" top to bottom. New C-stock now has dimensions very close to the original. Will see how it shoots once the new bands deliver.
Im pretty sure that original stock shrunk a little also.
I have done 3 C stocks Minelli, boyds/cmp/ and a unknown manufacture
All needed front band fitted and all where “fat”
I dont know what manufacture my Rock Ridge Machine A4 clone used but it has its issues also

Mentioned this in the Winter Warrior thread but thought I should update here. Used a NOS Remington band and new handguard, had to do some fitting. Installed a new sight. I think barrel is indexed wrong and the rear sight has to be moved quite a bit to the right. Shooting pretty good now, 99-7X at 100 yards on SR-1 after the three sighters you see to the left. I used the eyeball boresighting method in the basement which put me on paper at 100 for those first 3 shots.

yBXVXjtl.jpg

The 3 shots on or near the 10 ring are user error in dark and cloudy shitty light (and yes my eyes are getting f-ing old), as is the low shot on the first group of 3. There's a double at 6:00 on the X ring. Next thing to do is test this against my 1903 National Match to see which is grouping better.

I REALLY like the color I got from the Fiebings leather dye, but despite post cleaning a couple times it's making my hands Orange-Man-Bad color. Whatever type of walnut is used by Minelli, without some sort of stain it is usually a light turd color excepting the beautiful stock @dw617 has. Maybe some more cleaning and a few wipes with BLO will fix my color bleed from the dye. Will take pics after the BLO.

Back
Top Bottom