• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 for USPSA. 9mm or 45 ?

Out of all the posts...that's what you pick to quote? OK . In my experience,
If everybody slowed down at anything "race" related the better times will get better by themselves. IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun or backyard bb gun challenges ...what ever.
As far as "what I shoot"....I just started competition against paper and steel, I just retired after 30 years from shooting at things that shoot back. I carried a colt .45 or sig p220 since 1985 when I enlisted. I was "fortunate" enough to be in a part of the military that allowed us to have high speed cool things.
I've owned a 1911 in 9mm and It was fun, cheaper to shoot and easier on the recoil than any of my .45's. When I forgot about the clock my 9mm time was faster than a .45.
I'm also reading these posts because I'm looking to see if buying a 9mm again is worth it or just buy another .45.
So if the comments about the .40's didn't bother you and we are all just sticking to what the op asked. I say shoot what you shoot best.
Not trying to step on toes just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Out of all the posts...that's what you pick to quote? OK . In my experience,
If everybody slowed down at anything "race" related the better times will get better by themselves. IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun or backyard bb gun challenges ...what ever.
As far as "what I shoot"....I just started competition against paper and steel, I just retired after 30 years from shooting at things that shoot back. I carried a colt .45 or sig p220 since 1985 when I enlisted. I was "fortunate" enough to be in a part of the military that allowed us to have high speed cool things.
I've owned a 1911 in 9mm and It was fun, cheaper to shoot and easier on the recoil than any of my .45's. When I forgot about the clock my 9mm time was faster than a .45.
I'm also reading these posts because I'm looking to see if buying a 9mm again is worth it or just buy another .45.
So if the comments about the .40's didn't bother you and we are all just sticking to what the op asked. I say shoot what you shoot best.
Not trying to step on toes just my 2 cents worth.

I think Peterthefish's point was you don't actual have to aim in USPSA, the targets are so close that you can just hose away....now IDPA, that shit is hard, you have to aim.

Uspsa, Huh, Now that sounds more like it... Just hosing things, now that's a plan...now i gotta get myself a $6,000 gun and one of them there Nascar shirts. Aiming is kinda overrated anyway. My last match I killed 2 no shoots and wounded a 3rd right out of the gate...that's what happens when you use my ex wives as hostages and the clock gets in my head.

All that while wearing a tactical fishing vest. I think that's what makes it tougher.

And someone yelling "Cover!" At you while you while you're trying to break a shot.

Really my point was just that the whole "slow is smooth and smooth is fast and accurate" and line is overrated in general, and not really applicable to USPSA, where balancing speed and accuracy is more important than just accuracy. And practicing slow doesn't really lead to improvement in times.

That said, I'm known to use the force as often as my sights on an off day.

Last edited:
Really my point was just that the whole "slow is smooth and smooth is fast and accurate" and line is overrated in general, and not really applicable to USPSA, where balancing speed and accuracy is more important than just accuracy. And practicing slow doesn't really lead to improvement in times.

Why balance speed and accuracy? why not try for all the speed and all the accuracy. Why give up one for another?

Why balance speed and accuracy? why not try for all the speed and all the accuracy. Why give up one for another?

If I can shoot .20 splits for As at 10 yards, let's call that all the speed. Heck, I can rip .14s and .15s into the berm. That's the limit of my mechanical speed. Using all the speed for a partial at 10 or a 25 yard target means I'm not using all the accuracy.

If I don't think about time at all, I can hit head box As all day at 10. But if I'm balancing and don't come down with Buzzeritis, I'm probably trying to shoot as fast as I can reasonably call shots. Which isn't all my mechanical speed or all my potential accuracy. Somewhere in the middle.

If you can shoot .2 splits As at 10, then you can do 10y partials at the same speed. When you think you have to slow down, then you do, rarely does the accuracy increase when you do though

My opinion comes from my experience wasting money on guns. Yeah I know - no such thing but here it is: First: If your going to shoot USPSA buy a 2011 STI/Infinity in 40SW. You can shoot it major or minor power factor. Mags are readily available in both standard and 10 round configurations. You can use it in IDPA in ESP division. You can have a top end built in 9mm if you desire. This platform is so flexible and adaptable you'll never regret it. The caveat in all of this is of course is you won't be able to shoot single stack. Second: Anybody that tells you to slow down in USPSA doesn't know what they're talking about. Don't listen to them. If you are fast naturally - learn how to shoot fast accurately. If you're slow naturally (and most are) - learn how to shoot fast accurately. Want advice about USPSA? Go to the matches and watch the guys that look like good shooters (it's easy to tell). By and large they will be glad to give you advice so don't hesitate to talk to them.

Last edited:
I've been shooting USPSA Single Stage with 9mm minor for a while now and I like it. Having shot Production for many years I wanted to try something new, but it was really impractical to get caught up with the hassle of provisioning a new caliber, etc. I was able to move into SS with the same ammo and same stage planning process I use in Production. Even shooting minor, my percentage is higher in SS than it is in Production (but that's probably due in part to the way classifiers reward A zone hits.

Shooting SS Minor would probably be a poor choice if I was in any danger of making Master or GM anytime soon. Getting those A zone hits is critical as C and D hits add up (or subtract down) quickly. Sometimes the extra two rounds can be a huge advantage, but not too often. SS Minor is a good choice for someone who can actually hit shit. I have yet to see a match result where I thought that shooting Major would have helped me much. For me it's just an indication that I need to work harder to hit stuff.

I am looking for a 1911 for USPSA. I love the 45, and the Major factor is a plus, but because of cost considerations, I would like to stay with 9mm.
My question is, how do the 9mm 1911 guns handle, compared to the 45 ? I love the accuracy I get from the 45.
Will a 9mm for example S&W have the same 1911 feel, or is it more a bastardized version of the 45 1911 for whimps ?
I presume a 9mm 1911 with the 10 round magazine would be considered a production class.

Also, in USPSA does 1911 start cocked and locked or fully decocked ?

Thank You
Rob

Links:

January 2014 Handgun Rules - Effective February 1, 2014

USPSA Production Division Approved Handguns

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

Hey in uspsa would I have gotten dinged for having TOO many mags and too much ammo during a run?

Normally, no... in my limited experience the biggest thing you will get dinged for is forgetting to shoot a target. FTEs will blow boulder sized holes in your score. [laugh]

-Mike

At my last idpa I got fanged for having a 4th 9 round mag, I had a malfunction dumped mag, slid in a freshy and BLAMO, Procedural penalty. Thanks to my Remington r1 enhanced 9mm I am extremely fast at clearing malfunctions of various types (36 fte out 144 rounds last time I held it, now waiting on my refund ) My thought was, this is a "simulation" of a gunfight, since when is having to much ammo in a gunfight a bad thing?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

At my last idpa I got fanged for having a 4th 9 round mag, I had a malfunction dumped mag, slid in a freshy and BLAMO, Procedural penalty. Thanks to my Remington r1 enhanced 9mm I am extremely fast at clearing malfunctions of various types (36 fte out 144 rounds last time I held it, now waiting on my refund ) My thought was, this is a "simulation" of a gunfight, since when is having to much ammo in a gunfight a bad thing? Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Dude, read the rules

Back
Top Bottom