1911's

Okay, so I want a 1911. I know nothing about them. I want a NEW 1911. Only two new ones legal for sale in MASS as I understand it. Which one should I go for? The S&W or the Para. And which model? I want for occasional carry (I have a SIG for normal carry) and 1911 fun.

Appreciate any input.

Get a SW1911 Blued Steel. Good value and a very good gun. On the external VS internal extractor front. The internal extractor if not tuned can cause accurcy issues for some shooters. Also they tend to break if a round gets in front of them in the chamber. An external extractor needs very little tuning and is able to slide over a round in the chamber. I would bet that all the major makers come out with external extractors in the next few years. Greg

Tony, I think that he's got it in his shop for about $720. And, I gave him the two ten round mags and two P-16 round mags as the P-15 isn't made anymore and finding magazines for it is near impossible. I called Para and they sent me to thier parts guy and they said that they can't get the P-15 mags anymore. But the P-16 fits, just hangs out the bottom like a 1/8th of an inch. And you get and extra round. :D I'm sure that you can find someone that makes a spacer or have a magwell installed and you wouldn't know the difference.

As I said, I'm kicking myself for getting rid of this one. It's smooth, I've never had a FTE or FTF in it...or really the only Para I've had problems with is a P-12 and that was just some cleaning and a ramp polish and it was fine.

I do plan on getting more Paras down the line...just have other things that I want more right now.

senorFrog said:
Okay, so I want a 1911. I know nothing about them. I want a NEW 1911. Only two new ones legal for sale in MASS as I understand it. Which one should I go for? The S&W or the Para. And which model? I want for occasional carry (I have a SIG for normal carry) and 1911 fun.

Appreciate any input.

Autoordnance is also available for around $500. They're as good as you can get for a basic gun. I love my military version. Fancier ones are available.

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_front_pi.html

1911a1.jpg

I shot a guys SA 1911 yesterday. It appeared to be the mil-spec but with a few upgrades, trigger, hammer and beavertail grip safety.
It was new to him so he wasn't sure of much.

One thing I noticed was that the trigger was very loose with vertical movement. Is this normal for an aftermarket trigger? Why, or why not?

Thanks.

TonyD said:
One thing I noticed was that the trigger was very loose with vertical movement. Is this normal for an aftermarket trigger? Why, or why not?
Thanks.

It is not normal to be very loose. I can move mine a bit up and down but not with just my trigger finger in a normal grip. I have to hold it from each side to get any vertical movement. I can't remember the whole process, but I know aftermarket triggers require fitting and some feel better than others.

GTOShootr said:
TonyD said:
Thanks.

It is not normal to be very loose. I can move mine a bit up and down but not with just my trigger finger in a normal grip. I have to hold it from each side to get any vertical movement. I can't remember the whole process, but I know aftermarket triggers require fitting and some feel better than others.

Thanks, I was sure it wasn't supposed to be that loose but not sure of why or what.

ext vs. int

I've worked with both and must say. The external extractor is much easier to work with. If for some reason you need to change the extractor, it is as simple as pushing out a pin and replacing the part. The internal extractor needs to be tuned, and in order to keep a "TIGHT" fit you may have to replace the firing pin retainer.

Back
Top Bottom