2 Other SHTF Questions... for those of us "In Country"...

Hanwei

NES Member
And by "In Country" I mean those of us living in heavily urban areas like Boston and its immediate cities where the most violence/looting/chaos/gridlock would most likely occur as soon as the SHTF.

I live in Cambridge... and work in Cambridge...

Now, I'm not worried about guns for defending myself... I've got that part covered [wink] I actually have more than enough to spread the wealth, so to say, to my close friends and family, that I trust, if I needed to.

I'm also not really worried/thinking about preps for bugging IN because I live in an apartment... with no space for a year's worth of water/food/supplies like some people on these forums. [grin] I'd like to, don't get me wrong... I just don't have the space. What I have in my pantry and fridge is what I got.

When i do own my own house I will certainly be prepared food/water-wise. I'll actually be looking for one with a good amount of space in the basement for all of my supplies!

Okay... so for my FIRST question. I've actually had this conversation with my coworkers and boss (who all live in Cambridge and Somerville)... and we've all pretty much agreed that if the SHTF in Boston... an event that doesn't kill us all right away like a nuke... but say... if the Gov't actually gave us an hour or 2's notice of an impending tsunami about to hit the East Coast... gridlock would inevitably occur.

How do we get out of the city?!

Let's say every TV in the northeast starts to broadcast the emergency message to get the hell out... We picture the gridlocked streets and highways of Katrina... with every car stuck in traffic, etc.

Now, due to our jobs as real estate agents, we know the city streets like the back of our hands... and could probably get from point A to point B faster than anyone else using main and back streets. If we had a head start on the population, we'd be out of here and heading to our bug out locations pretty quickly.

But, if everyone saw the "get the hell out" message on their TV's at the same time... our "advantage" doesn't really help... being that everyone will be heading out their door and into their cars at the same time... causing gridlock... on the city streets and on the highways heading out.

We've talked about using bicycles... scooters... motorcyles... etc... but while we're at work... having a two-wheeled mode of transportation just isn't realistic... no place to store it at work.

The only solution so far is to have a fold-up bike/scooter in the trunks of our cars. This would allow us to get home, get our Bug Out Bags, and bug the hell out.

Only problem with that is it leaves our cars behind. And my 1st BOL is a couple of hours north in Free America [wink]... where my family and close friends would hopefully already be on their way to. And our 2nd BOL is just over our northern border in case the ENTIRE Northeast is no longer safe in general.

So, ideally... We'd like to keep our cars as the mode of transportation. This means getting an early jump on the rest of the population...

This leads me to my SECOND question...

How does one go about acquiring a means for early warning?

Go the old school Police scanner route? Are there any new technologies that effectively does the same? I'm assuming that our LEO's and Emergency personnel would get a warning far in advance before the public does... so what else is out there that we could use for an early warning type of prep?

All I would really need is maybe a 20-25 minute jump ahead of everyone else in Cambridge... and I will have already gotten home from work, grabbed my BOB and guns, and be on my hurried way to BOL #1.

Discuss!

Hanwei

PS...hopefully this isn't a repost... [grin]

Last edited:
Well... first off, why can't you use a motorcycle? I ride one to work most days when it's above freezing when I leave the house... and with the new bike (big fairing) that may even change. They park in much less space than a car.

Second - I'm not sure, but I think that having a scanner in the car is a no-no unless you're police/fire/ambulance. I could be wrong, and that could be Jersey that I"m thinking of - never really looked into it but I seem remember hearing that. Someone else know?

My job requires a car for work... I spend most of my day in it... so... not having a car just wouldn't work [thinking]

Plan your routes ahead of time. With back up and back up to back up routes. Avoid as many primary and secondary routes as possible. If you have to cross a primary route like 128 try to do it at a place where there are no exits. Drive the route to test them out. Have a back up like the folding bike in your trunk. Have a good set of boots in case you have to hoof it. Find out what the cities emergency response plans are. Do they turn all the inbound lanes outbound to speed evacuation? Do they close any roads or exits off?

Scanners do still work but I am not sure I would bother as most of the news services would have the info about as fast. Some of those news services have services that text breaking news to your phone. Some cities have similar set ups.

As for speeding up your departure do you need to go back to your apt? Can you keep a BOB in your car along with a change of clothes and a firearm? That would save you plenty of time if you could just get in your car and go. Keep a majority of your supplies stored at your BOL. A locked foot locker could easily hold a couple of months worth of food, clothes and a couple of firearms and ammo.

Another thought just hit me... don't some GPS receivers also have traffic info? I know that some radar detectors do. One of those might help with your bugout plans. Also, some websites now carry traffic info. I don't know how accurate they are or how fast they are updated, though.

Scanners in cars are perfectly legal in MA. NJ does restrict them however (illegal per FCC laws, but I'm sure nobody in NJ cares).

For those that don't know/live/work in the Boston areas. An alert would have EVERY small side street grid-locked with every major street in the cities. No cars would move at all. It's not just our Interstates that would take the hit.

There is NO evacuation plan. They just don't plan here, so you'd be on your own.

Even though I live 20 miles outside the City of Boston, I doubt that I could "bug out" very far from here in a real emergency when people take to their cars.

It's all houses or dense woods, so off-roading in anything as big as a car/SUV would not be practical even if it was 4-wheel drive.

I have an endless supply of fresh water (assuming no nuke contamination) with a natural spring with tap within 1/2 mile of my home, which could be accessed by a rough walk thru brush/woods or driven to via my street and one other.

Bug-in makes much more sense in my case.

If I lived in an urban area, I'd absolutely have a motorcycle. Even a cheap - well maintained dirtbike chained to a pole is better than nothing and it makes "gridlock" easier to navigate....Out here in the sticks, we have ATV's and know the area well enough to get to most anywhere....

Plan your routes ahead of time. With back up and back up to back up routes. Avoid as many primary and secondary routes as possible. If you have to cross a primary route like 128 try to do it at a place where there are no exits. Drive the route to test them out. Have a back up like the folding bike in your trunk. Have a good set of boots in case you have to hoof it. Find out what the cities emergency response plans are. Do they turn all the inbound lanes outbound to speed evacuation? Do they close any roads or exits off?

For those that don't know/live/work in the Boston areas. An alert would have EVERY small side street grid-locked with every major street in the cities. No cars would move at all. It's not just our Interstates that would take the hit.

There is NO evacuation plan. They just don't plan here, so you'd be on your own.

Even though I live 20 miles outside the City of Boston, I doubt that I could "bug out" very far from here in a real emergency when people take to their cars.

Len said it pretty well. If everyone got the warning at the same time... or soon after a warning went out... there is no way out in a car. At least not out of a City like Boston and it's surrounding cities.

I've got my boots in the car. I guess I'm going to start looking for a folding bike or equivalent.

Another thought just hit me... don't some GPS receivers also have traffic info? I know that some radar detectors do. One of those might help with your bugout plans. Also, some websites now carry traffic info. I don't know how accurate they are or how fast they are updated, though.

Definitely might be helpful... I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit in the car... but it doesn't have the real-time traffic feature that the bigger version has built in... but like Len said... with the SHTF happening so quickly... i'm not sure how fast it would keep up with the overflow of traffic... and therefore might end up not helping.

Scanners do still work but I am not sure I would bother as most of the news services would have the info about as fast. Some of those news services have services that text breaking news to your phone. Some cities have similar set ups.

Good ideas! I'm going to have to look into the breaking news text messaging... Thanks!

Scanners in cars are perfectly legal in MA. NJ does restrict them however (illegal per FCC laws, but I'm sure nobody in NJ cares).

So, Len, do you think the police scanner is the best way for early warning?

As for speeding up your departure do you need to go back to your apt? Can you keep a BOB in your car along with a change of clothes and a firearm? That would save you plenty of time if you could just get in your car and go. Keep a majority of your supplies stored at your BOL. A locked foot locker could easily hold a couple of months worth of food, clothes and a couple of firearms and ammo.

I suppose I don't need to go back if I keep a BOB in the car along with a change of clothes and a firearm. I'm going to have to purchase a firearm to keep in the car that I wouldn't mind "losing" if my car got stolen. (I love excuses to buy more firearms!) [smile]

But Len... what if it was a Tsunami? I don't think you'd be safe even living 20 miles inland. ...Maybe you would be... but for argument-sake let's say you wouldn't be. Let's assume it's a tsunami and your home is about to be a fish tank. Bugging in is not an option. And now the roads are gridlocked. What do you do?

Hell... Maybe I'll look into getting a vespa? :) It's a hell of a lot faster than a bicycle. And one COULD go a long distance on it if needed. .......hmm...emasculate myself and survive... or die... emasculate myself and survive... or die... tough decision.[smile]

Last edited:
Hell... Maybe I'll look into getting a vespa? :) It's a hell of a lot faster than a bicycle. And one COULD go a long distance on it if needed. .......hmm...emasculate myself and survive... or die... emasculate myself and survive... or die... tough decision.[smile]

What's more important - your (misplaced) pride or your life? So WTF if you ride a Vespa? Chris rides a Honda scooter and I don't see anyone questioning his manhood. Stop watching the Bill Engvalls Show (I'm assuming that the episode where his wife gets him a scooter instead of a motorcycle is behind your comments) and get on with your planning!

BTW... personally, I ride a BMW R80RT but have been known to own a moped in the past. Didn't worry about my testosterone levels back then, either.

In case I'm not making myself clear, that's a great way to think outside the box - it's not as off-road capable as a dirtbike but it will have more range and storage capability.

What's more important - your (misplaced) pride or your life? So WTF if you ride a Vespa? Chris rides a Honda scooter and I don't see anyone questioning his manhood. Stop watching the Bill Engvalls Show (I'm assuming that the episode where his wife gets him a scooter instead of a motorcycle is behind your comments) and get on with your planning!

BTW... personally, I ride a BMW R80RT but have been known to own a moped in the past. Didn't worry about my testosterone levels back then, either.

In case I'm not making myself clear, that's a great way to think outside the box - it's not as off-road capable as a dirtbike but it will have more range and storage capability.

I know I know... I'm just kiddin around [smile]

Get something a little larger than the traditional Vespa. You'll want to carry some stuff with you too. My scoot can carry a lot of stuff under the seat or in the topcase and still get mileage in the high 60's, so I can go a long way with very little fuel.

For example, this dinner for 12 all packed away with a lot of nooks and crannies for more stuff.

ScooterLayout.jpg

Get something a little larger than the traditional Vespa. You'll want to carry some stuff with you too. My scoot can carry a lot of stuff under the seat or in the topcase and still get mileage in the high 60's, so I can go a long way with very little fuel.

For example, this dinner for 12 all packed away with a lot of nooks and crannies for more stuff.

ScooterLayout.jpg

wow... haha... so what model is that? and about how much did that run you?... if you don't mind me asking.

Honda Reflex.

Made from 2001-2007 (they just announced the new lineup for 2008, and it's not there)

I got my 2004 in spring of 2006 as a left-over for $4000 out the door. Full 1 yr warrenty and all, but being a Honda, it's been flawless. Search Craig's List, Want Ad, etc. Also, do what I did and call all the Honda dealers and see if anyone has one in the back they want to move.

Can do highway (had it up to 80 once) but really designed for the secondary roads. Handles the dirt driveway to my home just fine and I've done a bunch of dirt roads up in NH, including a run over Jefferson Notch.

3 gallons takes me over 200 miles. When fuel was over $3.00 a gallon, my fill ups were in the $8 range. (never pump a full 3 gallons)

You do need an MC license to operate on public roads and also insurance. All in all, I have roughly $600 a year in expenses to keep the scoot (that's tax, reg, ins, maint, etc)

A full overhaul every 10,000 miles or so (tires, brakes, belt, clutches, etc.) is about $300 and most of the work is pretty simple. I've done all my own work so far and even stuff like an engine overhaul is pretty simple looking. Lots of European parts to hod rod it too if you want. Including a new cylinder and piston to push it to 300ccs if you need a few more ponies out of it.

19hp stock.

Seen a lot of used ones offered with really low miles for about $3000.

Only thing I've added that makes any real difference is the top case which ran about $180 complete, I just had to drill out 4 marked holes.

I use mine all the time for any trip that I don't need to haul anything large. Rode it every month of the year since April of 2006. Sure beats firing up the truck for quick errands.

Almost all my gear is from internet closeouts. Warm weather pants and helmet are the only things I bought in season. Check out NewEnough.com this time of year for great closeouts. Some of it isn't pretty, but work great. I don't really care for my cold weather BMW jacket, but it's really warm and will protect in a fall.

Anyway, back to the original topic:

When the population is on the move, only the very nimble will get through. Pack along a small bit of tubing and you can siphon fuel from abandoned cars. (older the better, some of today's cars are tough to get the tube down into the tank)

If you have children, motorized will be better than a bicycle.

I've already hooked up power for the GPS so I have instant mapping. I've worked out a great place to mount a holster so that the gun is not obvious, but quick to reach. I've figured out how to carry the wife and my son (at least for a few years) and what kind of stuff I need to pack (thankfully, I've been backpacking for years and have a nice supply of small light gear) and keep that in a container ready to go.

Only thing I still need to work out is how to carry a rifle. I might have to get some kind of ATV scabbard thing. Will look stupid, but I'm sure I can work out a quick-release setup.

That said, if bugout was the plan, I'd rather load the scooter in the truck and use the pickup for as long as possible. But if things got too dire, we'd have the quick scoot.

That's my fate/destiny as well. No place to go that won't have every other fleeing refugee heading in that direction. Which means no one is going anywhere.

So, here we are, and probably here we'll stay. [thinking]

Honda Reflex.

Made from 2001-2007 (they just announced the new lineup for 2008, and it's not there)

I got my 2004 in spring of 2006 as a left-over for $4000 out the door. Full 1 yr warrenty and all, but being a Honda, it's been flawless. Search Craig's List, Want Ad, etc. Also, do what I did and call all the Honda dealers and see if anyone has one in the back they want to move.

Can do highway (had it up to 80 once) but really designed for the secondary roads. Handles the dirt driveway to my home just fine and I've done a bunch of dirt roads up in NH, including a run over Jefferson Notch.

3 gallons takes me over 200 miles. When fuel was over $3.00 a gallon, my fill ups were in the $8 range. (never pump a full 3 gallons)

You do need an MC license to operate on public roads and also insurance. All in all, I have roughly $600 a year in expenses to keep the scoot (that's tax, reg, ins, maint, etc)

A full overhaul every 10,000 miles or so (tires, brakes, belt, clutches, etc.) is about $300 and most of the work is pretty simple. I've done all my own work so far and even stuff like an engine overhaul is pretty simple looking. Lots of European parts to hod rod it too if you want. Including a new cylinder and piston to push it to 300ccs if you need a few more ponies out of it.

19hp stock.

Seen a lot of used ones offered with really low miles for about $3000.

Only thing I've added that makes any real difference is the top case which ran about $180 complete, I just had to drill out 4 marked holes.

I use mine all the time for any trip that I don't need to haul anything large. Rode it every month of the year since April of 2006. Sure beats firing up the truck for quick errands.

Almost all my gear is from internet closeouts. Warm weather pants and helmet are the only things I bought in season. Check out NewEnough.com this time of year for great closeouts. Some of it isn't pretty, but work great. I don't really care for my cold weather BMW jacket, but it's really warm and will protect in a fall.

Anyway, back to the original topic:

When the population is on the move, only the very nimble will get through. Pack along a small bit of tubing and you can siphon fuel from abandoned cars. (older the better, some of today's cars are tough to get the tube down into the tank)

If you have children, motorized will be better than a bicycle.

I've already hooked up power for the GPS so I have instant mapping. I've worked out a great place to mount a holster so that the gun is not obvious, but quick to reach. I've figured out how to carry the wife and my son (at least for a few years) and what kind of stuff I need to pack (thankfully, I've been backpacking for years and have a nice supply of small light gear) and keep that in a container ready to go.

Only thing I still need to work out is how to carry a rifle. I might have to get some kind of ATV scabbard thing. Will look stupid, but I'm sure I can work out a quick-release setup.

That said, if bugout was the plan, I'd rather load the scooter in the truck and use the pickup for as long as possible. But if things got too dire, we'd have the quick scoot.

This scooter thing is looking better and better. I'm going to have to do some serious research... [grin]

So, Len, do you think the police scanner is the best way for early warning?

Yes, but which frequencies to monitor first? I can't honestly tell you who (what agency) would be on top of something. Tsunami might be NOAA. Terrorist attack could be any one of a number of agencies and you'd go nuts trying to listen to 100-200 channels at once. Don't have a good answer here.

As for Tsunamis, I seriously doubt that this is a major threat, plus we are ~15 miles (point-to-point) from the ocean and the Blue Hills are in the way. Not a likely personal threat to our home. In such a case, I'd be very worried about my Wife at work, as she's "on landfill" Downtown Boston and wouldn't stand any chance at all (escape or survival).

Actually, Len, I seem to remember reading an article recently that claimed that we could see a major tsunami if there was a quake in the Azores. I think that was the jist of it; it came out shortly after the SE Asia tsunami so I don't remember it clearly. Living 35+ miles inland, it just wasn't a concern to me.

Living inland, only a large meteorite strike in the ocean would cause a reason to panic on large water. Of course, if that rock were to hit just west of here like Ohio or even the Dakotas, the dust would likely do us in here in NE. And we are not talking a complete extinction event, just a big hit, something on the order of a 1000'+ diameter rock.

In any event, someone should know about the hit and likely location at least a few weeks before the event. The question is "would the government allow it to be public knowledge?"

A massive undersea landslide could cause a good size wave, but really only the coast would be in jeopardy. Then again, that's where the bulk of the liberals - I mean citizens live.

A large strike in Asia would cause us a lot of grief. Dust in the atmosphere would reduce sunlight and really hurt crops. Having some stored supplements would be a great idea.

Quite frankly, it's probably more likely that a natural disaster (ala Katrina) hits than a political/terrorist event in terms of really upsetting the balance of civilization in a quick manner. A slide to anarchy should be visible to those that are watching in time to get while the getting is good.

Living inland, only a large meteorite strike in the ocean would cause a reason to panic on large water. Of course, if that rock were to hit just west of here like Ohio or even the Dakotas, the dust would likely do us in here in NE. And we are not talking a complete extinction event, just a big hit, something on the order of a 1000'+ diameter rock.

In any event, someone should know about the hit and likely location at least a few weeks before the event. The question is "would the government allow it to be public knowledge?"
Given the fact that many astronomers are amateurs and I'm sure that they all have web access, I don't see how the .gov could keep it secret.

Second - I'm not sure, but I think that having a scanner in the car is a no-no unless you're police/fire/ambulance. I could be wrong, and that could be Jersey that I"m thinking of - never really looked into it but I seem remember hearing that. Someone else know?

This isn't a problem except in NJ and MI. And I think in MI at
least, the law can be bypassed by possessing a valid FCC ham radio
license. Every other state really doesn't care, unless you're
"using one in commission of a crime" or somesuch.

-Mike

Given the fact that many astronomers are amateurs and I'm sure that they all have web access, I don't see how the .gov could keep it secret.

+1.... The other problem is that it's certainly possible for more than
one person to know; eg, it's not like there is one person in the
whole world responsible for tracking near-earth-objects. The
government would have to suppress a lot of people very quickly to
keep the word from getting out. Nowadays with the internet it
is a lot harder to silence people, as well.

-Mike

Another problem is what if you work and commute to
work? An MC is nice, but is unsuitable all 365 days a year due to
the shit weather we often have in this state. A folding bicycle
in ones trunk might be useful. (eg, like a Montague).

While a pedal-bike isn't that fast, even 5mph beats (by many orders
of magnitude) being stuck in gridlock for hours. It would also
behoove one to plan an escape route, etc ahead of time, what one
uses for a bicycle may be a lot different than a motor vehicle (due to
bike trails, ability to take shortcuts, etc. )

-Mike

Last edited:
...There is NO evacuation plan. They just don't plan here, so you'd be on your own....

In today's paper:

Disaster prep lags in Mass. Report addresses response, recovery

Sep 24, 2007

Disaster prep lags in Mass.

Report addresses response, recovery

By Steve LeBlanc THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

The report recommends:
Improving: The ability of public safety agencies to communicate during disasters.
Coordinating: Teaming with Boston on how to evacuate the city in a disaster.
Identifying: Naming sites for three large-scale state and regional shelters.
Creating: Making a secure database containing key information about state resources.
Establishing: Setting up an Internet-based alerting system, including text messaging systems to cell phones and wireless handheld devices.
Identifying: Naming and inspecting chemical facilities that could be targets of attacks.
Improving: Response plans for pandemic influenza and other major public health concerns.

BOSTON— Three large-scale evacuation centers, a statewide text messaging alert system and inspections of smaller chemical facilities are some of the recommendations in a new state homeland security report.

The report, scheduled to be released by the Patrick administration today, finds Massachusetts needs to do more to toughen defenses against terrorist strikes and natural disasters while at the same time improving its ability to respond.

Better communication between state and local agencies and “first responders” — police, firefighters and emergency medical workers — is key to preventing and recovering from a disaster, according Juliette Kayyem, the administration’s undersecretary for homeland security.

While communities have made progress learning lessons from the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and Hurricane Katrina, it’s up to the state to coordinate large-scale disaster management, Kayyem said.

“It’s the state that is ultimately going to be responsible for prevention, response and recovery,” Kayyem said yesterday.

The state is particularly focused on defending systems that would have regional repercussions if attacked, including major transportation hubs.

“It’s not only the state that would be affected at the ports, it would be all of New England,” Kayyem said. “Those are systems with no backup.”

Kayyem said she’s just as worried about the state’s ability to manage a major hurricane, disastrous fire or disease outbreak.

The key, she said, is continually improving communication and information sharing between agencies — a task made more difficult with dwindling federal homeland security money.

“If a building goes down the firefighter is not really thinking ‘is this al-Qaida or something else?’ ” she said. “All they want from the state is to insure they can communicate and have the right equipment.”

The report recommends three large-scale evacuation centers. Boston has made strides in its evacuation plans, but the state has to step in and find places to shelter people in the event of a mass evacuation after a disaster or attack.

“In the event of a no-notice attack, for example, our assets will be tested and part of our planning must include the likelihood that people will get out of harm’s way, or home, by foot,” the report said.

Under another recommendation, the state would develop “an Internet-based alerting system that can send text and text-to-voice messages to computers, cell phones, BlackBerries, etc.” in a disaster or attack.

To improve the state’s ability to deal with a major catastrophe and maintain so-called “continuity of operation,” Patrick is rescinding an executive order by former Gov. Mitt Romney ordering state agencies to update their disaster plans on paper every three months.

Instead, Kayyem said, the agencies will continually update those plans on a secured electronic database that Patrick can access from the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency’s bunker in Framingham.

Kayyem, whose job it is to envision all sorts of disasters and attacks, said her biggest fear is how all the preparation and training exercises will play out in the event of an actual disaster or attack.

“That’s the kind of thing you can never test,” she said. “You can never test the real thing.”

That said, each city or town should have an emergency plan and an emergency preparedness director or agent or whatever the title is. You should ask that person what their preparedness plan says about evacuation for residents. You may also want to check into a "CERT" program for your city/town. Do a search here on NES for CERT and see what you get.

If I lived in an urban area, I'd absolutely have a motorcycle. Even a cheap - well maintained dirtbike chained to a pole is better than nothing and it makes "gridlock" easier to navigate....Out here in the sticks, we have ATV's and know the area well enough to get to most anywhere....

Wait, don't a LOT of NewYorkers come up to that (Berkshires) area? I bet you'll be inundated with clueless yuppies in Range Rovers looking for sandwich wraps and Perrier. You won't know what the woods look like any more. (-:

Yes, but which frequencies to monitor first? I can't honestly tell you who (what agency) would be on top of something. Tsunami might be NOAA. Terrorist attack could be any one of a number of agencies and you'd go nuts trying to listen to 100-200 channels at once. Don't have a good answer here....
I always thought it was the HAM (amateur?) radios that do that sort of thing. No?

Last edited:
I work in Cambridge too. If something hits then I KNOW that whole area is going to be wall to wall cars. Plus there are a lot of commuters who T in from nearby towns like slumerville or Arlington. So they will be clogging the T if they still work or the streets if they don’t. Even a dirt bike will be pretty hard pressed to get around IMHO. Besides that, somebody may very well just decide to “procure” it from you and while I’m sure I could take one goblin, I’m also sure there will be many in that area during a real SHTF situation. IMO it’s best to make yourself as small of a target as possible. A pair of roller blades in the trunk is my idea. That and a small BOB should do me just fine until I make it home.

Second - I'm not sure, but I think that having a scanner in the car is a no-no unless you're police/fire/ambulance. I could be wrong, and that could be Jersey that I"m thinking of

This isn't a problem except in NJ and MI.
OK, thanks, Mike. Darn... I could have been listening in all these years. [angry] What can I say? I spent too many years in the People's Republik of NJ - it leaves a mark on soul; you start thinking that you need permission to breathe. MA isn't much better, judging from some of the people here who agree with our LTC system, either. [rolleyes]

Text Messaging

The best service to use for advanced notice is 1st response wireless networks.

www.1rwn.com

They have 24 hour dispatchers monitor police,fire, ems, state emergency operation centers like MEMA, and NWS, NEMLEC, and others. Then they send out text pages to cell phones, email, and or special pagers that you can buy from them. They offer zone based alerts.

I do not work, or derive any income from them anyway possible.

My previous employer subscribed us to the pager service for statewide everything in Mass. Listening to a scanner there is maybe a 1 minute delay from when an incident occurs, to the time its on the pager. They also send out traffic advisorys whcih can be very helpful.

John

Coyote,

Police, EMS, Fire, etc. do NOT use/monitor HAM radio. Civil Defense will bring in HAM radios ONCE ACTIVATED (some time after an event occurs).

You won't be getting 1st info from HAMs unless someone (HAM) happens to see the event happen. Also, there are MANY HAM radio bands . . . and they are bands, not just a single frequency. So, again, which frequency do you monitor?

So, again, which frequency do you monitor?

I think the best frequency's to monitor would be your local police, fire, and the county broadcast frequency. Forget all about NOAA, as their are constant broadcasts from them, and it would effectively disable your scanner and stay locked on that station.

Wait, don't a LOT of NewYorkers come up to that (Berkshires) area? I bet you'll be inundated with clueless yuppies in Range Rovers looking for sandwich wraps and Perrier. You won't know what the woods look like any more. (-:

LOL... It sucks to be The Red Lion Inn... [smile]

Many of them, (not all, but many) are indeed clueless. Years ago while hiking up on CCC Dynamite trail early one morning, I came accross two "hikers" from NYC - cold, wet, (not in a good way) and the husband was bleeding through a sweater tied around his calf. They had gone for a "sunset hike" carrying one bottle of water, a video camea and a bar of Halva. The husband had slipped on some rocks and carved a nice notch in his calf, (deep). They had no first aid kit, no map, no compass, no gps, no survival gear, no radio - nada. They spent the night cold and shivering, (it was fall), in his case bleeding and were almost 50-yards from the road, (give or take an inch).... [shocked] " I thought I heard a car" the wife proclaimed, "but I didn't know where it was coming from".... I should have left them there, but I ended up patching up his calf and driving the a**h***s to their car parked in Jones Nose - they didn't even say thanks, (no kidding).

So in short, I'm not too worried navigating the woods around my home - most of them will be on the porch at Red Lion or raiding the snack bar at Tanglewood. They won't have the foggiest idea how to navigate around the 250-year old maple trees I'll be dropping accross the road....[wink]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom