2 Other SHTF Questions... for those of us "In Country"...

The most important thing is awareness. get out early. On 9-11 they released us from work, (I was leaving anyway) and we had bottle necks getting out (nothing compared to a city)
My 4x4 came in handy, I was able to cut over curbs as needed and hit the routes I knew would be open.

(as an ex-MI weenie I know damn well infrastructure is the first to go in large attacks , I was expecting hits on Electrical and water works etc. right out of the Terriorist playbook)
Thankfully the addtional attacks didn't happen that day.

A bigger, more practical problem with radio monitoring is that most
of us won't be able to get away with having a scanner cranked
up in our office or cube; especially if we work in a place where
you have to interact with people a lot or talk on the phone,
etc. Then when a call comes across the thing you have to
stop what your doing and pay attention; otherwise you might
miss it and the benefit of the announcement is lost.

The frequencies, etc, aren't really a problem, if one is close
enough to boston all you'd really need to do is listen to
Fire/EMS comms... when something bad happens they're the
first to know. As far as disaster/terrorist stuff goes I wouldn't
even bother with the police, although

Ham and CB radio is useful once you're trying to escape- you might
be able to get field reports about what is going on the roads,
etc. Some hams bash the CB but since I put mine back
in my car it has become extremely useful during commuting.

-Mike

I think the best frequency's to monitor would be your local police, fire, and the county broadcast frequency. Forget all about NOAA, as their are constant broadcasts from them, and it would effectively disable your scanner and stay locked on that station.

You can get one of those weather radios with an alert
function, too. Although it's rarely used NOAA will send out
alerts if major storms are coming, that kind of thing.

-Mike

You can get one of those weather radios with an alert
function, too. Although it's rarely used NOAA will send out
alerts if major storms are coming, that kind of thing.

-Mike

True, but then again you would have a NOAA radio, and a scanner to monitor. I think the county broadcast stations would be the best bet. I have it set on my scanner, and it very rarely is a used channel, but when it is used, it is for something serious.

I know I know... I'm just kiddin around [smile]

How anal do you want to get about this? Sounds to me like you need a multi stage transportation backup here. Get a foldup bicycle and keep it in the trunk of your car - and have a BOB with you in the car at all times. Try to get as far as you can back to your house with the car - when that fails - instantly pull out the bicycle from the trunk and
go the rest of the way. At your house keep an OFF-ROAD type motorcyle. By this I mean one that has knobby type tires that are streetable - but also able to go off road. Some of these motorcycles will get upwards of 60mpg - and they are made to go thru just about anything. Having a motorcycle makes you mobile over just about any type of terrain you can imagine - if you know how to ride it. Come across a road that is backed up? Just go offroad. Even with a 4WD jeep or truck you will have a hard time going into some of the places you can get with a motorcycle. The only drawback is carrying capacity - but if you have supplies stored at your BOL then that is not so much of an issue.

This sounds pretty much like the way to go. If anything I should definitely have a fold-up bike in the trunk.

At the very least, have even a basic "get home bag" in your trunk. It's impractical - even unwise to carry a BOB in your car 24/7/365, but if you have the basics, you may be surprised how fast you can beat-feet to home base. I just had a vision of me pulling my get home bag out of my car along with one of those motorized scooters, (you know the skate boards with a chainsaw engine and a handlebar?). At 6'4" 265, it would be a sight to see, but faster than walking I suppose... [grin]

one of those motorized scooters, (you know the skate boards with a chainsaw engine and a handlebar?). At 6'4" 265, it would be a sight to see, but faster than walking I suppose... [grin]
Probably not very much faster, as the majority of those things are only rated for 200 lbs and under. Many are rated for even less...

Many HAM radios can be modified to operate beyond their assigned frequency. I'm not advocating making illegal transmissions, but in a SHTF situation, the rules are likely to be relaxed. The rig in my truck had a very wide reception that includes a lot of the local government and emergency services.

You can easily use the FCC site to see what various towns and Cities hold for frequency licenses. I put all of them into my scanner and then make note of the most used which I then stick into priority banks for easier scanning. BTW, a little receiver like the Icom R-5 can be very handy:

icr5.jpg

Anyway, since it can receive a frequency, the transceiver in my truck can also transmit but is usually blocked internally. There are sources to get instructions to remove the block. You can then easily test into a dummy load (ie, no real transmission) and know you are set up to use the coms if the need ever arises. So long as you DO NOT transmit, you have not broken any laws.

Get something a little larger than the traditional Vespa. You'll want to carry some stuff with you too. My scoot can carry a lot of stuff under the seat or in the topcase and still get mileage in the high 60's, so I can go a long way with very little fuel.

For example, this dinner for 12 all packed away with a lot of nooks and crannies for more stuff.

ScooterLayout.jpg

Riding a scooter is like dating a fat girl. They are both fun until your friends see you. [smile]

Just kidding, Chris. At 60mpg and good Honda reliability, the scoot makes a lot of sense.

In my case, what I do will depend on the time of day when SHTF. Since I work in Boston (live in central Mass) and take commuter rail to get to and from work, I would be absolutely screwed if SHTF during working hours. I remember what it was like trying to get out of town on 9/11. I would most likely have to stay in town until some means of transportation and a way to get out could be arranged. Unfortunately, wife and dater would be on their own and that's the thing that really scares the crap out of me. My wife is not the outdoorsy survivalist type and she would probably try to drive out to the Berkshires to be with her brother.

Hopefully by the time SHTF, I will have taught her a fews things to get her prepared.

Big Red - that's why you should have a "GHB" - a Get Home Bag with what you need to get yourself back to your wife and daughter if TSHTF during the workday.

Me, I'm lucky; I work less than 20 minutes away and it's a straight shot down the highway... and if the highway is jammed up, I can do it in 30-35 minutes on surface roads.

Whatever you need to get home (short term travel), as opposed to a bug out bag which is long term. A liter of water, maybe some granola bars, sneakers (if you work where you have to wear business shoes), maybe one change of clothes if needed, a pistol and a couple of mags (if you can have guns at work) or just a couple of mags and the pistol locked in the car if you can't - a good knife if you can't have a gun at all - local map (if you need to detour), multitool, jacket or poncho depending on time of year, good hat, etc.

I'm just brainstorming here; I have been remiss and haven't set up one myself, yet.

My scoot can reach 80, but that's on the level. Up the hill on 495 just after 290 going North, she can hold 70 with me on her and some gear (no idea what the exact weight is, but it's more than 230 lbs.) I've ridden into NH and all the way to Newport R.I. You are not going to be able to race around light traffic doing 70+, but you'll keep up. Around town, it's a nimble little grocery getter.

BTW, my mileage from day one is just over 71 mpg. I gave the 60+ betting that I'd be more loaded and not as efficient with the throttle.

For the urban worker, a cheap Mountain Bike or "Hybrid" outfitted with some all terrain tires (make sure to at least break it in so it's reliable) and a backpack with some "get out of town" gear would be a great combo. Most adults can ride at about 11-14mph on average with no training. Get you back with your family a lot quicker than walking. I don't know about your jobs, but even in a cube farm, I could keep a bike.

Keep a stash of clothing proper to the climate in your vehicle. Ski pants, jacket, mittens, etc. Doesn't have to be top notch stuff, but after the fiasco that so many ran into on 128 in the Blizzard of '78, having a means to walk away is just common sense.

What would one have in a GHB bag and how exactly would it help in getting home?

Whatever you need to get home (short term travel), as opposed to a bug out bag which is long term.
Some slightly more organized thoughts here.

Liter bottle of water - you need a liter per day to survive.
3-4 granola/energy bars. If you're on a diet, you probably eat the low fat versions. My thought is that in a TSHTF, gotta get home situation, you want the full energy, full fat versions. You'll be burning it off anyway.
Meds - at least two days if you can carry them. Me, I only take a couple of pills so storage is not a problem. If you're a diabetic, you may want to cache some insulin in the fridge at work just in case. Perhaps one of those small refrigerators for the car if you drive to work and need something to be kept cold.
"Space" blanket - small and won't take up much space.
Poncho. I have a Disney one in my car - it's very small and light. Won't take a beating, but it will keep me dry.
Spare socks, underwear and t-shirt. Useful in other circumstances than the SHTF, too... like if you spill something on yourself or need fresh clothes after winding up at that gorgeous chick's apt overnight. If this is an in-car GHB and not a shoulder bag, throw in a pair of jeans and a spare pair of sneakers, too. A spare jacket or sweatshirt is useful in the Northeast, also.
Leatherman tool
Pocket knife
Mini Maglight
(I recommend the LED version; it's not as bright as a lithium-powered SureFire, but it will LAST longer. Remember, we're talking getting home, not combat here)
If you drive with a GPS, bring it in with you instead of locking it in the car.
Spare set of batteries for the Maglight (and the GPS if you plan it right... my GPS uses two AA batteries)
Two spare loaded magazines for your carry piece
CASH!!! Figure at least $50 and break it down into 20's, 10's, 5's and 1's - and have some change, too. You never know when you'll need to get something out of a machine or have some other reason to have exact change. I usually tuck some spare $$ away in the back of my wallet so I don't normally think of it and use it to spend... but it's there if I need it.
Spare hat if you don't normally wear one; it'll keep your head dry in the rain and snow and it'll hold warmth in.

I was just thinking of a friend of mine this morning, and it occurs to me that a medical-type face mask might be useful. Bob found himself walking from the World Trade Center to 200th St on 9/11/01, and his lungs are pretty well ruined from all the crap he breathed in that day.

These are all just thoughts so far; I haven't actually tried to pack this stuff down and see how small it packs yet.

And of course, if you drive that adds a whole new dimension; you need to make sure that your car is fully ready 24/7 - never go below a half tank of gas, get the oil changed promptly and before long trips, watch your tires (tire pressure gauge and a small electric pump are useful) (and if you can fit it, carry a full size spare and not a high-pressure donut).

Last edited:
I saw the problem first hand during 9-11 when we had to move everyone out of the area. A large portion had to get to NJ. You can use all the back roads you want. The limiting factor is sooner of later all roads need a bridge to get out of the area. If they are closed or clogged, you are screwed. You can leave the transportation behind and walk which many did but vehicle travel was impossible. Most of the main roadways were closed down.

The only was the transport was completed was to commender the ferry service boats which move massive amounts of people into and out of NYC every day.

Which is why Bob just started walking (well, that and the fact that he was in shock, I suspect) and kept walking. He stopped around 48th st to call his wife and let he know he was alive, and then started walking again, heading for his great-uncle's house another 150 blocks north.

It's also why I suggest keeping sneakers on hand as well as a change of clothes - because Big Red, like Bob, might have to rely on Shank's Mare to GTHOOD. (Get The Hell Out Of Dodge)

You saw the aftermath of 9/11, which I did not. Can you think of anything else, easily carried, that would be useful in a GHB?

Ross

Get Home Bag....

What would one have in a GHB bag and how exactly would it help in getting home?

A bag for every occasion I guess eh? [wink] Unlike the Bug Out Bag, the GHB needs to be a little more compact, yet still complete. My BOB is a bit more involved - the GHB has things I need in it to...well...get home!

- The Bag: A non-descript daypack, (Wally World). It has plenty of utility, is rugged, comfortable and reliable. Plenty of cool pockets and a water bladder.

- First Aid Kit: (complete with QuikClot, Israeli bandages, pain relief, Motrin, sutures, potassium iodide, etc)

- Food: One MRE, Two Coast Guard Survival Bars, Two Pouches Of Salmon Filets, (yummy), Dried Nori, Two Slim Jims, Two Nature Valley Granols Bars, Assorted Hard Candy, Two CliffShots, Four Twinings Black Currant Tea Bags, Two 5-Hour Energy Shots. US Army Circa 1960's Mess Kit. Several assorted ZipLoc bags

- Water: One 32oz bottle of Poland Spring, (to fill the CamelBak bladder), One PUR Hiker Microfilter. One QuickTeen Collapsable Canteen. One Bottle Purification Tablets, (just in case).

- Navigation: One Berkshire County Street Map, One New England Street Map, Area Topo Maps, State Forest Trail Maps, Silva Compass, Magellan GPS, Cache Codes, Back Up Pin On Cheapo Compass.

- Utility: One Fixed Blade Survival Knife, One Leatherman, One Swiss Army Mechanic, 100-feet Nylon Rope, 100-feet paracord, 50-feet of wire, 100-feet of fishing line, tackle, MagLite AA LED, Black Diamond Dual Headlamp (Xenon/Twin LED), Wally World $1.99 Ring Light LED, BlastMatch, Matches, Lighter, Firestarters, Spare Ammo, Under Armor Type socks, long underwear, shirt, (rip-offs from Wally World)(light and packable), PacTec Rain Coat And Pants, My Own Invention - "Drop And Go Survival Kit". (It's a small pouch 8'x8"with two Altoids tins and a prescription pill bottle with various survival, first aid, ammo and food items), One Swiss Alpenflage Poncho, (rolled tightly and stuffed in an old tent pole bag and cinched on the mouse straps underneath the pack.

I also have a cheap but very useable bivvy tent I bought years ago at SG for $29.99. It's light, (just over a pound and a half), fairly dry, sets up easy and is OD green. It has only two small poles, but you can also slide right on in it like a sleeping bag.

The whole bag weighs in at about 24lbs. It may seem to some to be an excessive bag for the car - I've seen many lighter and simpler. However, driving is part of my job. I may be 18-miles from home or 80. In general, I'm at least 30 miles from home. If I must avoid main roads, the country out here is pretty rugged. Anyone driving say, Route 20 between Russel and Lee know what I mean.

There is no one ansewer, it all depends on what type and how long your sceniero is. A BOB is just a sack someplace if you don't have it with you. You may want to make up a small one or two to have someplace near you at all times. Always where a good pair of shoes that you can walk a good distance in comfortably because that's what you'll be doing to get home/out of harms way. If it's short term, Bug in. You can go a long time on a small amount of food. What you really want is liquids and a way to purifiy water for if/when you run out. If it's long term, guess what? You've placed yourself in a bad spot. You will probably end up Hoofing it out of town. What you should prep for is at least a 2 week camping trip that you can carry on your back which means no extras. If it's winter, that'll really put the screws to it.

Back
Top Bottom