2009 NES fishing meet?

Well I tried to put something together last year and it did not really work out so lets try it again (of course with Derek's blessing). Would anyone be up for a fishing get together? Maybe we could have a little friendly competition or something. It could be on boats, from shore or both. This would be a fresh water meet NOT saltwater.

Any ideas? Any takers?

A few things I had in mind are:

Quabbin Res. - Boat rentals are available, this would make it easy for everyone to be on the water and we could team up to save money.

Wachusett Res. - Shore fishing only, this would keep it equal.

We could also just pick a pond or lake and use our own boats, I have a small two man boat so I could take one person.

So what do you think?

Edin508 was supposed to be putting a get together/bass tourney going and I offered to help but it looks like that has faultered. I will pick up the reigns if there is still interest.

Problem with quabbin is there is no guarantee that there will be boats available if you dont get there super early and any type of tournament is strictly prohibited. I love that place though!!!

I'm in.
My boat is all ready to go...prob going to Quabbin this Sat or Sun.
PM or post when you guys want to go.
I can take 1 in my boat, 14' Lund.
I have extra rods, flies, lures if you are short.
Just make sure to bring that Green furnatured AK so if we get skunked we can shoot some Eagles.....lol....ONLY KIDDING. [shocked]

Count me in.

Not sure when the get together is.

Engine size is limited to 20 horsepower for two stroke engines and 25 for four strokes

The place is really nice even for a boat ride.
Make sure to bring a camera, binoculars, sunscreen and or a hat.

-op

Quabbin is a great option b/c there is so much to do and so many places to go. If we get there early enough there should be no problem getting boats for everyone.

Anyone else interested?

I am in if we go somewhere else. My boat is over the HP restriction. Plus it would be cool if we went someplace we could cookout after, maybe a couple beverages? Cant do either of those at Quabbin.

I would love to participate. I have a canoe and could probably get a second if anyone is necessarily interested in horse power. I took my family hiking at Quabbin last weekend, first time up there and it was beautiful!

You have to remove the prop on anything over the limit. I see lots of boats using their kickers to get on Quabbin.

Canoes, kayaks and small boats all must be at least 12' long and can not be launched on the main body of water.

Im interested in fishing somewhere for a day..Ive got a boat that someone could jump in also..Worcester County here..Webster Lake is a super place to fish and possibly burn some hot dogs and such..OR..Id love to drown some sand eel and get some striper surf casting..[smile]

Webster is out. The lake nazi's dont want any Tournaments, Derbies, or gatherings on "their lake". They have new requirements this year including 200 dollar permit fee, 100 dollar gate opening fee, 3 million dollar insurance policy requirement, required to hire a town cop and an EPO for the day ($200+ each) That is all on top of the 20 dollar launch fee!!!! It is friggin crazy!!!!

we should have one here at mashpee-wakeby... it is excellent fishing and no hp limit.

we have a 60hp motor and there is no way on earth i am taking the prop off [laugh]

Unless I am mistaken, the Quabbin is still drinking water, and there used to be tight restrictions on bodies IN the water (no wading or bathing). And, not sure what requirements are for picnics/fires on the beaches there. You might want to check the requirements before getting too deep into plans.

I used to live in Sturbridge years ago (30), and the edges of the Quabbin were my favorite hunting grounds. Maybe things have changed.

South Watuppa Pond in Fall River / Westport is a good size lake and I've seen good sized boats out there (never actually fished there though). F.R. Rod & Gun Club is on that lake too.

Remember we have people from all over the state. Something in central mass would be most convenient for all. Last thing most of us want to deal with is Cape Cod traffic especially coming from Western Mass.

Webster is out. The lake nazi's dont want any Tournaments, Derbies, or gatherings on "their lake". They have new requirements this year including 200 dollar permit fee, 100 dollar gate opening fee, 3 million dollar insurance policy requirement, required to hire a town cop and an EPO for the day ($200+ each) That is all on top of the 20 dollar launch fee!!!! It is friggin crazy!!!!

This will not be an official tournament, just a bunch of friends going to the same place. Any friendly wagers would be at your own accord and not take place on site.[wink]

This will not be an official tournament, just a bunch of friends going to the same place. Any friendly wagers would be at your own accord and not take place on site.[wink]

It doesnt matter Mike. I would not go out of Memorial beach ramp. If they suspect it is anything resembling a tourney/derby/gathering they are going to be 1st class dicks about it. They just announced the new rules this year and are looking for anyone they think might be trying to skirt them. In addition there are several fishing organizations trying to get this recitified and trying not to ruffle any feathers in the process. I love webster and it would be a perfect place to be if not for these aholes. I am just not a fan of taking a risk of our day being ruined by the nazis. It may not happen, but what if it does?

In addition how are you going to settle wagers off site? Where are you going to weigh fish? What are you going to do with them after? Transporting them alive away from the lake is illegal as is dumping them in another body of water.

The State ramp is available May 10th, May 24th and June 28th as long as there are no requests but it is a pain in the ass also. No place to hangout after and you are not allowed to beach your boats there. If you do beach your boat there the people call the cops. And then half the time you cannot park in the lot because some dickhead parks a tractor trailer in it. Webster people are unbelievable!

Last edited:
Hot off the press........
Talked to a local guide friend today and he said many Landlock Salmon are being taken out of Quabbin as are lakers and Smallies. The biggest Salmon he has seen so far was 6 1/2lbs and the other one they caught was 4. something lbs....Freekin huge!
I am going to Quabbin on Sunday to try and break the ice...and hopefully my rod on a monster laker of nessie proportions.
The fish are close to shore until around 10am feeding on long streamers, after 10AM when the sun is starting to go high and hot then get down to 15 to 30ft + with metal or streamers.

Good luck and tight lines to all,

op

It doesnt matter Mike...

Arlow you are thinking to seriously, if you want to try to put together a real tournment then that would be cool but I am really just talking about a bunch of NESers getting together going fish and maybe doing a "biggest fish" wager. I should have made myself more clear in my first post.

Hot off the press........

I am going to have to hook up with you this year, show me where the bass are! I have never been out for lakers but would be willing to give it a try.

I'd be interested in joining up, date dependent. Quabin is fine or wherever folks decide. I have no boat so if anyone has room or wants to split a rental. I'm mostly interested in going after fish that are safe to eat, so mainly stocked trout.

It would be fun to fish someplace we could clean and cook the fish on the shore afterwards or if someone lives near by to host of cookout after?

Back
Top Bottom