2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

I'm using Hornady 20 Gauge 2-3/4" 250 Grain SST Sabot Slug in a rifled 18" deer barrel.... it's a sweet little gun I bought for my wife a few years ago when we went out for the 1st time... she's staying in the hotel smoking cigs, reading a book by the pool... it's our anniversary today, so she compromised with me.. [grin] As for the distance I put my range finder on the shot, I was shocked to see the distance at 150yds.. but heck, at 100 yds at the range last week I was on target... That bullet went right through the deer, took out the liver and more..

here's a link to it...... http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-slug.aspx

Just did a little research and got some good reads and reviews... many guys report 100 plus kill shots with the slug... some not so good.

Turbo,

Thanks for the reply and information.

And I do have to say that is one heck of a nice compromise with the wife there!

Checked around a couple of my stands for sign today and ended up pulling 4 ticks off me when I got home and pulled 1 off the top of my ear yesterday. All 4 were definitely deer ticks. Not sure if the ticks are more active due to the warm weather or if its because the deer are moving around but make sure you check yourself well.

Use Permethrin. I wouldn't go out in the woods if it wasn't for that stuff. Turns you into a tick killing weapon of mass destruction.

Doesn't that stuff also repel deer? It's gotta smell terrible.

Its completely odorless. I find it does smell a day or so after application - but not after that. Certainly not after the first wash or a quick toss in the dryer w/ an odor killing dryer sheet. It's good stuff man.\\I use this stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBeZIZFwzc

Last edited:
Its completely odorless. I find it does smell a day or so after application - but not after that. Certainly not after the first wash or a quick toss in the dryer w/ an odor killing dryer sheet. It's good stuff man.\\I use this stuff:

I'll add - it works pretty well. When I scout I wear lite colored cloths to make tick detection easier. So when I pick them up - once time 6 of them at one time - they don't hang around for more than a few minutes. They just fall off. If you watch them you can tell that it starts impacting them.. Their leg movement gets erratic, etc.

I did some more research on it and the way it works is the insects start having muscle spasms and basically fall of. They usually die from the exposure. The longest I've seen a tick stay on my clothing was 8 minutes. This was a fully grown female deer tick. Most fall off within a couple minutes.

I'm all about killing ticks. I have those farkers. The manufacturer says it lasts 6 washes but I retreat after 3. I'm not one to rave about any product - but this is good stuff. I buy it in a pack of 3 of the 24oz bottles on ebay.

Last edited:
I'll add - it works pretty well. When I scout I wear lite colored cloths to make tick detection easier. So when I pick them up - once time 6 of them at one time - they don't hang around for more than a few minutes. They just fall off. If you watch them you can tell that it starts impacting them.. Their leg movement gets erratic, etc.

I did some more research on it and the way it works is the insects start having muscle spasms and basically fall of. They usually die from the exposure. The longest I've seen a tick stay on my clothing was 8 minutes. This was a fully grown female deer tick. Most fall off within a couple minutes.

I'm all about killing ticks. I have those farkers. The manufacturer says it lasts 6 washes but I retreat after 3. I'm not one to rave about any product - but this is good stuff. I buy it in a pack of 3 of the 24oz bottles on ebay.
Yeah I have a bottle of Sawyers that I sprayed on today. I was trying to hold out thinking maybe the deer smell it.

You meant Meth right?

73kr9e.jpg

Permethrin does a great job killing the ticks. I won't go in the woods without it. I spray my clothes and let them dry. I also run them through a wash with scent free soap just to be sure.

I used to use Sawyers but it just gets too expensive at $8.00 for a little bottle; especially since the reduced the size of the bottle. I now buy concentrated permethrin and mix my own. It costs me about $2.00 a gallon.

http://www.greendept.com/maximpulse/tickproof/

Bob

Permethrin does a great job killing the ticks. I won't go in the woods without it. I spray my clothes and let them dry. I also run them through a wash with scent free soap just to be sure.

+1 for permethrin. I just finished a 3 weeks of antibiotics for Lyme because of 1 trip out with untreated clothes.

Last edited:
Careful with people like that. We've had jackarses cut partially through ratchet straps on our tree stands in order to get the message across. People never cease to amaze me.

Second that. I had a guy cut my bungee cord that holds my feet in the stirrups on my climber I leave on PRIVATE property last year. Now I check all straps and always climb with my harness and safety strap connected whether in climber or hanger or ladder stand. In my hanger, I always am secured to my strap before getting on it from the pegs.

I am not hunting this bow season, but I'm jealous of you all! I am really eager for shotgun to start up, though!

This was taken in my back woods a couple of months back. My neighbor on one side has horses, the other has a 50 acre goat farm. the woods are a mile deep before you find any houses. It is a big sancutary for deer during the season. I hope I see this guy while I'm out there :)

111.jpg

Was in the woods Saturday. No luck, but I heard a Doe giving an estrous bleat off about what sounded like 85yrds away 3 different times within the last hour before I had to get out of the tree. The area where she must have been is extremely thick. I have a feeling she was just coming into estrous because she would let out only a single bleat then roughly 30mins passed before the next single bleat. Was a nice day, but too warm....think the warmth caused a lot of doe in (or going into estrous) to stay bedded down.

I am not hunting this bow season, but I'm jealous of you all! I am really eager for shotgun to start up, though!

This was taken in my back woods a couple of months back. My neighbor on one side has horses, the other has a 50 acre goat farm. the woods are a mile deep before you find any houses. It is a big sancutary for deer during the season. I hope I see this guy while I'm out there :)

View attachment 85454

Good luck on seeing him, that would be a nice one to get.

i have the rest of the season. definitely need to do something about footwear and just increase clothing overall. i threw on underarmour and layers and then the flecktarn, which both adam and nicole said was very effective in the woods.

I have finally got pretty much all merino wool base layers (Minus33) now with some pants and a jacket from Bass Pro (both water and wind resistant). For the socks I have some Wigwam and just received some Carhartt artic wool socks that I have yet to try.

I have the minus33 midweight layers and they are great/affordable (for 100% wool). The carhartt artic socks are crazy warm (87% wool).

In general, get wool stuff. Its more expensive than poly, but its much better.

I have the minus33 midweight layers and they are great/affordable (for 100% wool). The carhartt artic socks are crazy warm (87% wool).

In general, get wool stuff. Its more expensive than poly, but its much better.

Is it itchy?

Didn't see anything. Heard a lot of stuff moving around.
I walked into the woods and it was so dark I turned my headlight on. A lil while in I hear a branch snap behind me about 100yds. Nothing to see so I keep goin. a few minutes later another branch cracks about 100yds to my left. I nearly pooped. Again nothing. I get to my stand, tie my bow to my string and a third loud branch snaps about 100yds behind me. I climbed up and my heart was pounding so I sat down and waited but nothing came by. Maybe it was a bear? Squatch messin with me? I don't know but it freaked me out

Scored this button buck up in NH 190 yard shot with a mossberg model 100 ATR in 30.06 using fusion ammo which I would not recommend they left no entrance or exit wound leaving no blood to track whatsoever luckily it liquified the heart and bounced off the shoulder (breaking it) then tore into its stomach this little guy still ran 30 feet after that
se6e2yja.jpg
9yny4yny.jpg

I used to use Sawyers but it just gets too expensive at $8.00 for a little bottle; especially since the reduced the size of the bottle. I now buy concentrated permethrin and mix my own. It costs me about $2.00 a gallon.

Bob

I've thought about making my own treatments with that stuff. Tell me - do you just dilute it with water and spray it on the clothing? what do you dilute it to? Are there any other ingredients in that stuff that would create an odor deer could detect?

Almost hit a pretty fat (8-10 point) buck while driving down Lees River ave in Somerset. He was crossing the street where the power lines cross. He was pretty darn big.

Scored this button buck up in NH 190 yard shot with a mossberg model 100 ATR in 30.06 using fusion ammo which I would not recommend they left no entrance or exit wound leaving no blood to track whatsoever luckily it liquified the heart and bounced off the shoulder (breaking it) then tore into its stomach this little guy still ran 30 feet after that
se6e2yja.jpg
9yny4yny.jpg
Nice shot Willy. You're going to run out of room in your freezer if you keep it up.

I've thought about making my own treatments with that stuff. Tell me - do you just dilute it with water and spray it on the clothing? what do you dilute it to? Are there any other ingredients in that stuff that would create an odor deer could detect?

I dilute it with distilled water. I use a old windshield washer fluid jug as it is sturdy. I add the permethrin and then fill with distilled water. the number of ounces of permethrin depends on the strength you buy.

All the insructions are here:

I bought the 36.8% solution so I used 1 gallon water + 2 ounces 36.8% permethrin = 130 ounces of .51% concentration

Bob

Back
Top Bottom