2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

deer hunting on weekends here in Virginia since early October, haven't seen anything other than the first day of bow season when I spooked two does. Now I'm really kicking myself

Getting a late start today. Hoping the warm weather won't mess it up. You guys seeing anything

Shot under a nice buck at 6:30 this morning from my ground blind.
This was my first sit in it this year. I've been at my stands so figured I give it a try.
This area looks like a friggen war zone!! Scrapes everywhere that look like mines went off, I mean everywhere!!

Left the blind and in a tree now. Going back to sit the last few hours of light.

I put up a camera on a trail of about a half dozen scrapes, but it was acting up when I set it. I hope it works, should have some pics of that deer I missed.

The rut is on, I picked the wrong week to take off. Good luck next week, should be good.

I've got a few days off at the end of next week. Looking forward to it actually. I haven't seen any deer yet though. Aside from the deer on the side of the road on my drive to the woods. Really discouraging. Hope the activity picks up.

First day out this season on Monday, still a rookie bowhunter. 2 1/2 hrs in, buck walks into me as perfect as you can ask for about 20 yrds away. Heeding the advice of friends that actually kill deer, and trying to redeem myself from last years debacle, I draw back line up the sights, get too excited once again, fundamental down the terlet, and let fly. Got a nice pile of mud....went right underneath him. :(

First day out this season on Monday, still a rookie bowhunter. 2 1/2 hrs in, buck walks into me as perfect as you can ask for about 20 yrds away. Heeding the advice of friends that actually kill deer, and trying to redeem myself from last years debacle, I draw back line up the sights, get too excited once again, fundamental down the terlet, and let fly. Got a nice pile of mud....went right underneath him. :(

Major bummer. Sorry to hear about that!

It takes a lot of patience and discipline to focus when you're that excited. The buck I got this year I had to go through everything in my head,

1. "That's a huge buck, I'm going to shoot it"
2. "Rifle is up, get him in the scope"
3. "Pick your shot, hold steady"
4. "Breathe steady"
5. "squeeze smooth on the trigger, don't jerk"
6. "shot goes off, try to get a follow on shot"
7. "take a few minutes, regroup, wait"
8. "go look for where you hit him"

After all that I got him, I've missed plenty of deer in the years I've been hunting and I've been able to train myself.

I messed up my first shot ever at a deer last year. I was wanted to see where the arrow was flying as soon as I let it go and dropped the bow arm, the arrow went right underneath her. I had to pound it into my head again to wait for the sound of impact.

Shot this buck at 6:40 AM. He came into a doe grunt call.

Yes, that is the arrow sticking out of his ass. He was walking in broadside with his nose to the ground and jumped the string twisting away from me. I see him run off with my arrow sticking out of his hip. went back to the house, changed clothes, finished another cup of coffee (about 20 minutes) and started tracking. found him about 100 yds from where I hit him. The blade must have hit an artery in his thigh and he bled out.[grin]

Shot this buck at 6:40 AM. He came into a doe grunt call.

Yes, that is the arrow sticking out of his ass. He was walking in broadside with his nose to the ground and jumped the string twisting away from me. I see him run off with my arrow sticking out of his hip. went back to the house, changed clothes, finished another cup of coffee (about 20 minutes) and started tracking. found him about 100 yds from where I hit him. The blade must have hit an artery in his thigh and he bled out.[grin]

Congrats Tweed. For some reason I think I saw a video of the recovery today.

I sat for 3 hours yesterday and got bored. Decided to do a lil scout/stalk. It paid off. Found 3 fresh scrapes and jumped 2 nice bucks. I have
to go car shopping with wifey today so ill hang the stand Sunday and hit it hard all week.
Congrats Tweed!

I didn't have my buck pee so I relieved myself in a scrape. See if it hurts my chances or not

Last edited:
Called a nice doe in this morning, would have been an easy shot if I had a doe tag left. No bucks yet but the does have been moving all week.

It amazes me that so many of you tell about shooting over or under an animal. Not smart.

Flame away.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

It amazes me that so many of you tell about shooting over or under an animal. Not smart.

Flame away.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I have only been bow hunting a short time myself but I have found from the main hunting forum I read, that if anyone says they have never missed a shot they are probably lying. Ranges could be estimated wrong, small branches not seen or just bad shots are going to happen, even to the best of them.

- - - Updated - - -

going out tomorrow morning with folks to try for my first deer. wish me luck, NES.

Good luck. Are you going to be using a bow or rifle?

Got to the area I planned on hunting at about 4:30 AM this morning. I snuck in nice and quiet - which is kinda hard considering all the oak and maple leaves on the ground to go along with the under brush - with a climber on my back. Took me about an hour to get into the woods. I was trying real hard not to make any noise or light up the night with a bright flashlight. Had the head lamp on a low setting. I was kinds happy with how things were going. I passed a big old scrape on the way in that was new. As I stepped over a dead fall I noticed a fresh pile of scat - real fresh - like glistening. So I tell myself - be careful. He's close. He's the one I came here for too. Hes been leaving scrapes all over the area. Trees already been delimbed, shooting lanes cut. I just got to get up there quietly... So I step over the dead fall and I'm within 10 yards of the pine tree I intend to set up shop in. Then - it happens. I get the snort - and like a ghost - making almost no noise - he's gone... I thought Fark... my day's over already. He won't be back for at least the rest of the day - plus anything else within earshot is gone now too.
Stubborn - I get into the tree anyway. I waited until after sunrise for the woods to settle down. Then every half hour or so I would throw out a couple tips of the can, maybe a couple grunts, or grunted and rattled a couple times...... nothing all day. Not a sight - not a peep.
At about 2:00 I decide well I'm gonna get down and still hunt another area since nothing is happening here. On my way back to the truck to drop off the stand - I bump 2 does that were bedded down in the thickest nastiest thickets in the woods. After I get back into the woods I get about a half hour of still hunting in when a dirt biker tears through the area. A WMA - where it's posted - no motor vehicles. I called it a day at that point. Just wasn't meant to be today I guess.

Last edited:
opening day of firearms here in VA - stayed in the woods from about 6:20am til 2pm, but didn't see a thing. Too foggy. I'm not actually convinced that there are any deer there, since I haven't seen any yet from hunting the same place 3 times. Did find some fresh droppings though.

time to find a new spot perhaps

Back
Top Bottom