2015 Hunting Megathread

Can't get out tomorrow. Have things need to get done around the house... Sunday I'm going to the game so it's a wash. So errands have to get done Sat. But I'm on vaca all next week. Will be hunting hard for #2. I'm hoping business will be picking up. Seems like I'm hearing more reports at work of people seeing deer in the streets, yards, etc.

Can't get out tomorrow. Have things need to get done around the house... Sunday I'm going to the game so it's a wash. So errands have to get done Sat. But I'm on vaca all next week. Will be hunting hard for #2. I'm hoping business will be picking up. Seems like I'm hearing more reports at work of people seeing deer in the streets, yards, etc.

You hunting NH also? Just asking since you mentioned Sunday.

sir gawain, congrats man! good deer! just out of curiosity why in pics no arrows in quiver? do you keep separate in tree?

I broke an arrow shooting a turkey about 2 weeks ago, missed a shot at a coyote and broke an arrow last week, and the arrow for my buck broke inside him. I'll add 3 new arrows for tomorrow.

I broke an arrow shooting a turkey about 2 weeks ago, missed a shot at a coyote and broke an arrow last week, and the arrow for my buck broke inside him. I'll add 3 new arrows for tomorrow.

God damn...the great white hunter! Maybe those bibs/boots I bought off of you will carry over some luck/skill to my first hunting season ever! Haven't gotten so much as a squirrel yet, though.

Damn it...was so looking forward to today. But in the past 36 hours ... my left ear is stuffy, my nose is all congested, my throat hurts and the crap that I'm coughing up painfully is nasty. I think I'm going to value sleep/rest over sitting in a tree alerting to all the world that I'm sitting there. Well here's to colder weather next week. To those of you going out today - best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God damn...the great white hunter! Maybe those bibs/boots I bought off of you will carry over some luck/skill to my first hunting season ever! Haven't gotten so much as a squirrel yet, though.

More like too lazy and always forgot to put more in my case lol.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Got out for a few hours again this morning with my pup. 5 points. 1 bust. Doing well at 10 months. Got these two. First one I shot I hit but not well. It hit the ground, hopped into a pond and started swimming across. Dog jumped in and grabbed it.

17a769e72a8d31eec6ae1046c397e53c.jpg

First rooster of the year today. We've put up a fair amount of birds so far this season but between missed shots or not having a safe shot available I hadn't gotten one yet. Seen more woodcock than usual this year and they seem to be here earlier. I don't know why I seem to be shooting so badly this year, I went to shoot some clays a couple weeks ago and did much worse than usual.

Miss out on a 10 pointer in the am who approached me from behind. He was taking a path that I wouldn't have expected. Turned before I was ready. Ignored my mock scrapes, real scrapes and my attempts to call him back. Must be why he's as big as he is. Smart SOB.

Last edited:
Spent 10 hrs in stand on Sat.

I saw: an Owl, Wood Pecker and a Blue Jay.

I'll be back at it this weekend...

Vin

Planning on heading to Bolton Flats or Westboro/McCallum/Whatever its called now for pheasant/grouse/upland birds. If anyone is looking for company, I'm heading out around 12:30.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I got outfoxed today. I had lunch within 40 yards of a nice sized buck. I contemplated setting up in a tree right there but decided to move in a little closer to a swamp. Bumped him when I got within 30 yards.
Tried to circle around where I heard him go. Came across some runs and set up over an intersection. But he never came through. He was in some thick thick timber at that point. No getting in there without a bulldozer.

Encountered a monster this am. I was setup 60 yards from his bed. He never came in close enough to give me a shot. Did a semi circle around me, hit the path I took in and froze. 10 minutes later he crossed my scent trail and went into a small price of woods to the north of me. Big mistake. That piece of woods is small with a road to the north and open fields to the east and west. I'm to the south in the timber.
I'm going to pull my set and get in about 50 yards closer so he almost has to get by me if he comes back out before rain or dark. It's on!

Back
Top Bottom