2015 Hunting Megathread

Encountered a monster this am. I was setup 60 yards from his bed. He never came in close enough to give me a shot. Did a semi circle around me, hit the path I took in and froze. 10 minutes later he crossed my scent trail and went into a small price of woods to the north of me. Big mistake. That piece of woods is small with a road to the north and open fields to the east and west. I'm to the south in the timber.
I'm going to pull my set and get in about 50 yards closer so he almost has to get by me if he comes back out before rain or dark. It's on!

good luck! hope he comes back your way

Looks like a good spot. Have you ever had any come into that field in the daylight?

yeah... First day out this year... 20 minutes in... 3 of them wandered in. I spooked them or the winded me before I could get a shot off

Havent seen any since but I'm not using an E-caller at the moment.

Today made me decide I want one... Gonna order one tonight.

yeah... First day out this year... 20 minutes in... 3 of them wandered in. I spooked them or the winded me before I could get a shot off

Havent seen any since but I'm not using an E-caller at the moment.

Today made me decide I want one... Gonna order one tonight.

Yeah it's tough getting them to expose themselves into a field during daylight hours.

I'd try that same spot but call from 50-100 yards inside the treeline with the field to the downwind. Watch the E-caller with the shotgun and keep an eye downwind into the field with the .223. They're going to do everything they can not to come into that field but if thats the only place they can catch wind of whats going on they have no choice but to go for it.

Any foxpro is hard to beat, can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah it's tough getting them to expose themselves into a field during daylight hours.

I'd try that same spot but call from 50-100 yards inside the treeline with the field to the downwind. Watch the E-caller with the shotgun and keep an eye downwind into the field with the .223. They're going to do everything they can not to come into that field but if thats the only place they can catch wind of whats going on they have no choice but to go for it.

Any foxpro is hard to beat, can't go wrong.

any input on the Icotec callers? They seem to get really good reviews online.. And for just wanting to get started the price is right for a programable caller... I'm looking at the GC-350.

any input on the Icotec callers? They seem to get really good reviews online.. And for just wanting to get started the price is right for a programable caller... I'm looking at the GC-350.

I've never used anything but a foxpro & I went right for the Shockwave. Buy once, cry once is the motto. I've used it for three years troublefree, sounds great even on full volume no cracking or distortion.

Another factor is the sound library, check it out before you buy because although most take .MP3 sounds a lot of the popular productive sounds are proprietary to the brand of caller. For example foxpro sounds only come in .fxp file extensions and are only able to play on a foxpro caller. Something to consider.

Encountered a monster this am. I was setup 60 yards from his bed. He never came in close enough to give me a shot. Did a semi circle around me, hit the path I took in and froze. 10 minutes later he crossed my scent trail and went into a small price of woods to the north of me. Big mistake. That piece of woods is small with a road to the north and open fields to the east and west. I'm to the south in the timber.
I'm going to pull my set and get in about 50 yards closer so he almost has to get by me if he comes back out before rain or dark. It's on!

I hope you get a crack at him. Good luck.

Bob

I am not seeing anything at any location. Is this is the rut time it stinks bad, seems like normal hunting in Mass to me.

I hope you get a crack at him. Good luck.

Bob

No such luck. Some elephants.... err.... other hunters came trampling close enough by just about lunch time. Shut the entire forest down. Rain started at 2:00 and I was minus my rain gear having originally planned on leaving at lunch myself to beat the weather.

But I know where he parties at this point. So I'll be back. Rain is supposed to break at 3:00 tomorrow. I may try to catch him on his feet during a break in the weather.

Last edited:
No such luck. Some elephants.... err.... other hunters came trampling close enough by just about lunch time. Shut the entire forest down.

I am always amazed that someone can make that much noise in the woods. To top it off they are usually talking like they are talking to a deaf person

But I know where he parties at this point. So I'll be back. Rain is supposed to break at 3:00 tomorrow. I may try to catch him on his feet during a break in the weather.
That's half the battle. Good luck.

Bob

Just out of curiosity...for those in tree stands and are seeing deer, how much rattling and/or grunting are you doing right now? Or are you getting best close encounters by simply sitting in silence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not hunting but when I did, a grunt call was more useful. Rattling is something best done with the help of another hunter. Plenty of brush breaking, ground pounding, and general mayhem. Best achieved on the ground. My $.02. Paitence is a virtue.

Not hunting but when I did, a grunt call was more useful. Rattling is something best done with the help of another hunter. Plenty of brush breaking, ground pounding, and general mayhem. Best achieved on the ground. My $.02. Paitence is a virtue.
Great advice. I got out there early this morning (misting, not raining) and just sat - sucking on my lemon/honey cough drops trying to not hack up a lung and scare the animals. Just before 7 am - a catch out of the corner of my eye (on my right) a doe coming into view from behind me. Not more than 15 yards out. Within a few steps a yearling tags along. I just sit and watch. The angle is way to severe to even move to aim given I'm hunting with a crossbow. I wouldn't take it anyhow at this point in the season as I'm waiting for the 8 point that's chasing them. But as I watch a second doe and yearling come right behind. It was a nice little quad harem. They seemed to be heading into the swamp - but paused, sniffed the air, and just looked around. I didn't move. The main doe was definitely looking right through me. She must have winded me or something off. They turned right and slowly walked away from me out to 20 yards (on same extreme angle) and just nosed around the ground there as a group for a solid 20 minutes before deciding to proceed out of sight following the edge of the swamp. It was my first experience hunting to "really" see a deer and to get 4 and to feel that I wasn't completely busted but rather nosed made for a great morning. If they had just come left a little I would have had 4 broadside shots to chose from. Unfortunately in the next 2 hours the buck didn't show, the rain restarted, and I have work/errands that I do need to do today. I love the fact that it's a 2 minute walk from my front door to my stand! I'll get out this afternoon. [smile]

Went out yesterday and saw my first wild(ish) pheasants ever. I put one up myself, but well out of range.

On my way to newer pastures, I ran into an older gentleman and his dog who invited me along. We put up one and my partner (of the day) brought it down. Heading back this afternoon and hoping to get one myself!

I am always amazed that someone can make that much noise in the woods. To top it off they are usually talking like they are talking to a deaf person

That's half the battle. Good luck.

Bob

You would hate me than since my track chair makes some noise rolling over those leafs and little branches, but it does not sound like a human walking through.

You would hate me than since my track chair makes some noise rolling over those leafs and little branches, but it does not sound like a human walking through.

This may sound incredibly insensitive and I don't mean it to, so forgive me in advance. Your chair looks freaking amazing, and it looks like fun. Being forced to be confined to it would blow, but until i saw your pics I had no idea such a thing even existed.

This may sound incredibly insensitive and I don't mean it to, so forgive me in advance. Your chair looks freaking amazing, and it looks like fun. Being forced to be confined to it would blow, but until i saw your pics I had no idea such a thing even existed.

Not sure how in the world that would sound insensitive. The thing is amazing and allows me in the woods to have fun.

The folks over at Chappell Tractor were I picked it up were great to work with and I have a feeling they do not make much on the sale of them just so they can more out to people.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 150545

Got this guy yesterday in the backyard.

In the backyard? He needed to die.

I know I have some in the woods behind but I have yet to see one.

Last edited:

Nope. Too many back operations and aftermarket parts on my end. I have been told that I sound like a bulldozer going throught the woods.[laugh]

You do the best you can with what you got.

Bob

I am not seeing anything at any location. Is this is the rut time it stinks bad, seems like normal hunting in Mass to me.

I think this is going to be a great rut year. Aside from my go to, I am seeing tons of activity in spots that have been moderate in the past.

Last edited:
I think this is going to be a great rut year. Aside from my go to, I am seeing tons of activity in spots that have been moderate in the past.

Well at least someone is seeing some. It looks like some of the other guys saw some today. I have been looking over at the Hunting Chat and not many are seeing many either.

Still have the multiple phases of the rut to go so hopefully I can get some sightings in.

It's coming guys... Seems like guys literally all around me are either tagged out or on their way... And I'm way behind the curve.. Some guys got all the luck

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Silly question, but does anybody remember someone in these hunting threads that was trying to make a food plot but the area held too much water? Thanks.

Not sure how in the world that would sound insensitive. The thing is amazing and allows me in the woods to have fun.

The folks over at Chappell Tractor were I picked it up were great to work with and I have a feeling they do not make much on the sale of them just so they can more out to people.

- - - Updated - - -

In the backyard? He needed to die.

I know I have some in the woods behind but I have yet to see one.

Most on NES have thick skin bug some don't. It's great you're able to get out. Does kind of make all our stealthy quiet scent control blah blah blah look funny though. The buck you posted a few pages back beats anything I've gotten.

Most on NES have thick skin bug some don't. It's great you're able to get out. Does kind of make all our stealthy quiet scent control blah blah blah look funny though. The buck you posted a few pages back beats anything I've gotten.

Nah, I am past 40 so I can handle it. Plus it is a fact of life that I am crippled so dang sure no use getting mad if someone asks about or has a question-comment on it.

I have a good spot with 2 scrapes near by, I just need more time to sit.
Does anyone have any advice on avoiding ticks? I have spent a ton of time in the woods and its never been a huge problem, this year I'm picking up a lot. I know any kind of bug repellant is out do to scent control.

Does anyone have any advice on avoiding ticks? I have spent a ton of time in the woods and its never been a huge problem, this year I'm picking up a lot. I know any kind of bug repellant is out do to scent control.

Permethrin Spray by Sawyers

I use permethrin which is an arachnidcide so it kills ticks that come in contact with it. You can find it I Sawyer sprays at Cabelas/DSG. Walmart carries the Repel brand which has permanone(sp) which works as well. One treatment lasts about six weeks and through several washings as it bonds with the fabric.

It is bad for fish and cats in liquid form.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom