2019 MA Turkey Season

I was out this AM as well....after moving a couple of times I heard a gobble around 8AM. I call...he returns it (and getting closer)...I call again...he's closer.... That's when the dirt bike showed up! !@#$!@$#!@$@ I never saw the bird or where it went! :(
That sucks

Dirt bike at 8am on a Monday - wow!

I was sitting over my decoys at 5am.
Had two gobbling to me at 5:20 as they came off roost.
They quit talking and then snuck passed me on my right flank in a defilade...Total stealth mode never made a sound.
I had gotten up around 6:30 to check out behind me and spotted them skirting me down by a creek. They had crossed an open pasture without me seeing them due to the terrain. If they'd turned a little sooner they would have come right in. I think they either saw me or didn't like my calling. I got in behind them just as they ducked into the woods, didn't see the first one but the one bringing up the rear had a bright red head....Was going to pull up for shot by too far.
Crafty bastards. I'm going to reposition so they can't do that again.........Well, try at to least...[smile][wink]

Not a sight or sound today... Until I was leaving & heard a hen as I was driving out. At least I know where I'm setting up tomorrow...

Anyone have any tips on estimating how far away the tom is when you hear it gobble? I was set up in a nice spot early this morning, was hearing gobbles and I was making hen calls. But then I heard a gunshot in the distance and heard no more gobbles... At the time I thought the shot was further away than the gobbles, but in retrospect maybe someone else got the bird I was calling to.

Anyone missing a treestand? If so were you blind enough to miss year old posted signs every 15-20 feet and retarded enough to set up 250' away from an occupied dwelling and 300' away from another occupied dwelling and about 80' from where kids play? Because if so great job. I appreciate it.

Dirt bike at 8am on a Monday - wow!

Yeah...he slept in today...he was out at 9am! ;)

I walked/called for hours... but didn't see/hear a turkey. I did see 3 deer!
As luck would have it...I'm driving home and a turkey (hen) saunters in front of my car about 1/4 mile from where I was in the woods! :cool:
...and a tom was in the neighbor's yard! :mad:

Slept in today. Getting old. The worst party about turkey hunting is the 0 dark 30 wake up...
I will most definitely echo that sentiment. Saturday I’m driving out to my friends property about 45 minutes away. Not looking forward to the 3:00 am wake up.

Last edited:
I got a jake this AM. 13.5lbs. I picked a (new) spot to do my first setup....little did I know that the jakes were roosting in trees about 50 yards in front of me! I got to see 2 fly down! As they were about to stroll away to the sound of a distant hen, I shot turkey #2 out of the 4 jakes that strolled by! :)

Pretty exciting hearing 3 turkeys gobble at you at once! ;)

I got a jake this AM. 13.5lbs. I picked a (new) spot to do my first setup....little did I know that the jakes were roosting in trees about 50 yards in front of me! I got to see 2 fly down! As they were about to stroll away to the sound of a distant hen, I shot turkey #2 out of the 4 jakes that strolled by! :)

Pretty exciting hearing 3 turkeys gobble at you at once! ;)
Nice!!!!

Today...I saw 2 squirrels. :( I didn't see a turkey...and didn't hear one either.
Oh well....I'll be back out next week. Good luck everyone!

Went out Monday and Tuesday. Here is a breakdown of the days.

Monday - Got up at 3:00AM grabbed my shit and headed out. The WMA I'm hunting is about 40 minutes from me so I ended up getting all my gear on and walking down the trailhead a few minutes after 4:00AM. I have an area picked out but decide to take a different trail just to see if it will put me a little closer to where I want to be instead of all the bushwhacking I'd have to do. It did not, it put me in someone's back yard..... right as I'm hightailing it out of there I hear two owl calls going off back and forth to each other. One on both sides of me and not very far at all. So, it's time for some trail running away from these dudes. I end up getting to a spot that is in the area I want and don't hear those guys calling anymore. It's a bit after 5:00AM and I'm sitting there thinking it's a great spot. Now, to get here I had to do some bushwhacking so I wasn't exactly sure where I was until I got to sit down. I assumed I was close to a trail...but then realized that I'm sitting 5 feet from the trail as it starts to get light out and I can actually see now. Welp, let's move one more time. I get over a ridge and a good bit away from the trail. I then finally settle in, without my inflatable seat because I left it back at the trail apparently. After being set up for a while I start calling but don't hear anything, until I do. I hear a gobble off in the distance. I call again about 10-15 minutes later and a minute after I hear them again but they are closer. This goes on for about a half hour until I realize that he went totally by and behind me and was off to God knows where. I spent the rest of the morning calling but had no luck. Went back and found my seat at least on the way out. I also mapped the trail on my GPS so I had a better idea of where it went at least.

Tuesday - Same routine and got out on the trail at 4:00AM, but I walked maybe 10 feet and see a greyish white flash in my headlamp's light and a set of eyes staring at me. Then I realize there are 4 sets of eyes staring at me. 4 coyotes are sitting there staring at me from a distance of about 10 yards. I tell them they better get moving but they just sit there and stare, so I take a picture of them (see attached). Figured if I was going to get eaten might as well try to show people who it was. I slowly walk away from them keeping a light shining at them until I can't see them anymore. I kept checking for them but after a while it was apparent they weren't interested in a taste of me. Finally got to where I wanted to be and set up. It was raining, I was soaked both inside and out, but by God I was going to catch Lt. North (had to be a military bird because he flanked me from the North) on his way out this morning. Didn't hear a single damn gobble all day. Ended up doing some more trail mapping in sections I had never been before as I was moving around using a locator trying to drum something up.

A few things I learned/think now.
  1. Don't follow new trails the day of your hunt, even if it's a small property and they are seem to be going to where you want to be. Don't take shortcuts just go the way you know.
  2. 1 Coyote does not bother me. 4 Coyotes make me glad I took a tactical shotgun class lately and know how to run my Mossberg, bring it boys. Ok, honestly, they scared me pretty good. I was not expecting to see them at the trailhead and 4 of them at that. Also, seriously, why did I take my phone out to take a picture of this?
  3. My inflatable seat cushion sucks and I move to much because my ass falls asleep. I ordered a proper turkey vest and a small ground blind to cover my legs.
  4. My mouth calling isn't as good as I thought it was, need to practice more. My shitty slate seemed to work opening day but was useless in the rain, ordered a waterproof striker and a newer higher pitched pot so I don't sound like everyone else.
  5. Spoke with a buddy in NH who got a bird. He said he was lucky because he called in a hen and the Tom was following. He didn't here a single gobble all morning and then found a group of 8 Toms and Jakes later on. Wondering if it's still a bit too early in the breeding cycle?
  6. Can't decide if I'm going back after Lt. North or if I'm going to hit a new property since I'm going out again next Tuesday (3/7)
  7. Monday was the first time I ever heard a gobble in the woods, this is my second year Turkey hunting (2nd day Turkey hunting) and I have no idea what I'm doing, but those few gobbles have me hooked.
  8. Found rust on my shotgun the next morning after sitting the rain all day. Thought I had dried it off enough but guess not. Might be getting it cerakoted after this season. Especially as I'd like to hunt Duck at some point.
  9. Even though I suck, I have a friend that is interested in going so I'm planning on taking him some Saturday just to get his feet wet in the woods. Is it a bad idea for someone such as a novice as myself to take another novice? Or is it just good to get people out?
On a side note, if anyone gets a bird and wants to take a rookie (Mid 30's rookie that is) with them another time send me a PM.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190430_040632.jpg
    MVIMG_20190430_040632.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 45

Monday - Got up at 3:00AM grabbed my shit and headed out. The WMA I'm hunting is about 40 minutes from me so I ended up getting all my gear on and walking down the trailhead a few minutes after 4:00AM. I have an area picked out but decide to take a different trail just to see if it will put me a little closer to where I want to be instead of all the bushwhacking I'd have to do. It did not, it put me in someone's back yard..... right as I'm hightailing it out of there I hear two owl calls going off back and forth to each other. One on both sides of me and not very far at all. So, it's time for some trail running away from these dudes. I end up getting to a spot that is in the area I want and don't hear those guys calling anymore. It's a bit after 5:00AM and I'm sitting there thinking it's a great spot. Now, to get here I had to do some bushwhacking so I wasn't exactly sure where I was until I got to sit down. I assumed I was close to a trail...but then realized that I'm sitting 5 feet from the trail as it starts to get light out and I can actually see now. Welp, let's move one more time. I get over a ridge and a good bit away from the trail. I then finally settle in, without my inflatable seat because I left it back at the trail apparently. After being set up for a while I start calling but don't hear anything, until I do. I hear a gobble off in the distance. I call again about 10-15 minutes later and a minute after I hear them again but they are closer. This goes on for about a half hour until I realize that he went totally by and behind me and was off to God knows where. I spent the rest of the morning calling but had no luck. Went back and found my seat at least on the way out. I also mapped the trail on my GPS so I had a better idea of where it went at least.

Tuesday - Same routine and got out on the trail at 4:00AM, but I walked maybe 10 feet and see a greyish white flash in my headlamp's light and a set of eyes staring at me. Then I realize there are 4 sets of eyes staring at me. 4 coyotes are sitting there staring at me from a distance of about 10 yards. I tell them they better get moving but they just sit there and stare, so I take a picture of them (see attached). Figured if I was going to get eaten might as well try to show people who it was. I slowly walk away from them keeping a light shining at them until I can't see them anymore. I kept checking for them but after a while it was apparent they weren't interested in a taste of me. Finally got to where I wanted to be and set up. It was raining, I was soaked both inside and out, but by God I was going to catch Lt. North (had to be a military bird because he flanked me from the North) on his way out this morning. Didn't hear a single damn gobble all day. Ended up doing some more trail mapping in sections I had never been before as I was moving around using a locator trying to drum something up.

1. Don't follow new trails the day of your hunt, even if it's a small property and they are seem to be going to where you want to be. Don't take shortcuts just go the way you know.
  2. 1 Coyote does not bother me. 4 Coyotes make me glad I took a tactical shotgun class lately and know how to run my Mossberg, bring it boys. Ok, honestly, they scared me pretty good. I was not expecting to see them at the trailhead and 4 of them at that. Also, seriously, why did I take my phone out to take a picture of this?
  3. My inflatable seat cushion sucks and I move to much because my ass falls asleep. I ordered a proper turkey vest and a small ground blind to cover my legs.
  4. My mouth calling isn't as good as I thought it was, need to practice more. My shitty slate seemed to work opening day but was useless in the rain, ordered a waterproof striker and a newer higher pitched pot so I don't sound like everyone else.
  5. Spoke with a buddy in NH who got a bird. He said he was lucky because he called in a hen and the Tom was following. He didn't here a single gobble all morning and then found a group of 8 Toms and Jakes later on. Wondering if it's still a bit too early in the breeding cycle?
  6. Can't decide if I'm going back after Lt. North or if I'm going to hit a new property since I'm going out again next Tuesday (3/7)
  7. Monday was the first time I ever heard a gobble in the woods, this is my second year Turkey hunting (2nd day Turkey hunting) and I have no idea what I'm doing, but those few gobbles have me hooked.
  8. Found rust on my shotgun the next morning after sitting the rain all day. Thought I had dried it off enough but guess not. Might be getting it cerakoted after this season. Especially as I'd like to hunt Duck at some point.
  9. Even though I suck, I have a friend that is interested in going so I'm planning on taking him some Saturday just to get his feet wet in the woods. Is it a bad idea for someone such as a novice as myself to take another novice? Or is it just good to get people out?
On a side note, if anyone gets a bird and wants to take a rookie (Mid 30's rookie that is) with them another time send me a PM.
The only times I've been successful (2 times now) is when I KNEW there were turkeys in the area. By that I mean I had eyes on a flock! The flocks were about 200 plus yards away and I saw them on field edges through my binoculars. I was able to skirt the field edge inside the wood line slowly and quietly and get set up with decoys on the edge about 150 yards from the birds unseen. Sit back in the woods about 20 yards from the decoys and call them in. I learned fast that blindly setting up on a field edge and calling and calling MAY get birds coming your way but more likely is you'll call and call and there just are no birds in earshot. Scouting out an area to prove birds are in that huntable ground is ok......but your best bet is to wait to get setup until you see birds way off.....then work your way within 150 yards stealthily.......then call em in.

I'll add.....I have access to two military bases to hunt turkey......I'm us army retired.....so I'll openly admit that I have a privilege that most don't......access to HUGE tracts of land basically all to myself with little to no hunting pressure. Wma land sucks for Turkey and deer hunting
......just too many other folks out there.

My season starts tuesday the 7th.......I have three days reserved to hunt devens and camp Edward's. Tons of birds on those bases ......plenty of wide open fields and wood lines to hide in......and plenty of room to roam. It's quite an advantage to have access to the bases.

Last edited:

Nice descriptive write-up. Sounds like you are in good grounds if you heard "wakening" gobbles, without you calling.
I tried roosting for the first time last night in my spot. Watched a fellow's short youtube video. It worked! Simply took an electronic call (Ruger Ihunt from LL Beans and smartphone), and just after dark (about 8:00pm) made a couple of coyote howls. Well, a tom gobbled up in a tree- he "cracked out of turn". I would say he was in about 100-150 yds from edge of a powerline corridor, and I knew the quadrant. So I marked. I was going to get out this morning and hunt him, and I couldn't get up. I've been out once this week- Tuesday, same general spot.

These Mass birds are tough and smart. Even this roosted gobbler, shutup after falling for the first coyote howl from my call. So I could not locate any better or closer. And this spot is loaded with turkey.
All I know is that general quadrant of woods has a tom. I'll go out tomorrow and try.
Plus, you can't overcall as a hen once you're setup. Sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't scenario.
However, I like my prospects having confirmed there's a bird there about 100-150 yards in.
Like others have said, if you don't have the fortune to see flocks or birds previously either from good scouting of a public land or time spent on friend's/family's property, in other words don't know that there's a bird there, you could be doing everything right in turkey-loaded woods, calling and listening, calling and listening and hear nothing because the birds aren't there and can't hear you.

Good luck! Hope to have a trophy pic to share this season!

Nice descriptive write-up. Sounds like you are in good grounds if you heard "wakening" gobbles, without you calling.
I tried roosting for the first time last night in my spot. Watched a fellow's short youtube video. It worked! Simply took an electronic call (Ruger Ihunt from LL Beans and smartphone), and just after dark (about 8:00pm) made a couple of coyote howls. Well, a tom gobbled up in a tree- he "cracked out of turn". I would say he was in about 100-150 yds from edge of a powerline corridor, and I knew the quadrant. So I marked. I was going to get out this morning and hunt him, and I couldn't get up. I've been out once this week- Tuesday, same general spot.

These Mass birds are tough and smart. Even this roosted gobbler, shutup after falling for the first coyote howl from my call. So I could not locate any better or closer. And this spot is loaded with turkey.
All I know is that general quadrant of woods has a tom. I'll go out tomorrow and try.
Plus, you can't overcall as a hen once you're setup. Sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't scenario.
However, I like my prospects having confirmed there's a bird there about 100-150 yards in.
Like others have said, if you don't have the fortune to see flocks or birds previously either from good scouting of a public land or time spent on friend's/family's property, in other words don't know that there's a bird there, you could be doing everything right in turkey-loaded woods, calling and listening, calling and listening and hear nothing because the birds aren't there and can't hear you.

Good luck! Hope to have a trophy pic to share this season!

Thanks for the info and the video! Yeah, I'd love to be able to go out and roost a bird but with my current family life (wife's crazy schedule and 2 small kids) it's just not in the cards for me this year. I had a good idea that there would be birds in these woods from stuff I've seen previously but would prefer to know for sure. Like you said.

It's funny you mentioned how the Mass birds are smart. As I was running away from the guys Owl calling that gobbler didn't make a peep. It was about 1 to 1.5 hours later when I first heard him. Guess he'd been fooled by those Owl calls before and won't budge on them now. I've been using a crow call as it seems everyone else is using an Owl hoping that would throw one of them off but it hasn't yet.

Good luck to you as well!

Last edited:
The only times I've been successful (2 times now) is when I KNEW there were turkeys in the area. By that I mean I had eyes on a flock! The flocks were about 200 plus yards away and I saw them on field edges through my binoculars. I was able to skirt the field edge inside the wood line slowly and quietly and get set up with decoys on the edge about 150 yards from the birds unseen. Sit back in the woods about 20 yards from the decoys and call them in. I learned fast that blindly setting up on a field edge and calling and calling MAY get birds coming your way but more likely is you'll call and call and there just are no birds in earshot. Scouting out an area to prove birds are in that huntable ground is ok......but your best bet is to wait to get setup until you see birds way off.....then work your way within 150 yards stealthily.......then call em in.

I'll add.....I have access to two military bases to hunt turkey......I'm us army retired.....so I'll openly admit that I have a privilege that most don't......access to HUGE tracts of land basically all to myself with little to no hunting pressure. Wma land sucks for Turkey and deer hunting
......just too many other folks out there.

My season starts tuesday the 7th.......I have three days reserved to hunt devens and camp Edward's. Tons of birds on those bases ......plenty of wide open fields and wood lines to hide in......and plenty of room to roam. It's quite an advantage to have access to the bases.

I think you're right. Next time I go out I think I might cruise the trails further towards where I first heard the gobbling on Monday. From there I might try to shock gobble a couple of times when I get close or wait at the edge of a clearing to see where he might be crossing and then work my way towards him inside the woods back toward where I set up on Tuesday.

It would be amazing if I or someone I know had private land for me to explore and cut my teeth on, but this is the hand I've been dealt so far. It's awesome for you that as a perk for your service you get access tot he military bases. It's the least they can do for you!

I think I'm going to plan a full on Turkey hunt for next year. Probably get a guide to show me the ropes (not just sit here and shoot but more of the how and why's) and get on some leased land. That's the plan at least but we'll see.

Good luck to you on the 7th, who knows, maybe we'll both get one on that day!

Found rust on my shotgun the next morning after sitting the rain all day. Thought I had dried it off enough but guess not. Might be getting it cerakoted after this season. Especially as I'd like to hunt Duck at some point.

After you wipe it down, drown it in WD40 spray! WD40 replaces water. I used to hunt ducks in harbor water. Guns would rust as you watched. We would spray them down quite a few times a day.

Slept in today.
I was wiped out from my friday hunt.

Crazy...and my first miss on a gobbler. Was 2 for 2 until yesterday.

Got to the farm a little before 5am and planned to hunt middle pasture below big pine woods where I knew birds we roosting in the past.
Walking down lane and the hillside above lower pasture lights up with booming toms - at least 4-5 birds sounding off up in the same hardwoods, roosted up in the big oaks on top.
That gets the heart pumping...!

Still pretty dark so I hustle down to the low end of the field, set up a jake and hen decoy and find a good spot to set my 3-legged folding stool behind a stone wall looking out into field.

Birds are gobbling off eachother like crazy. Love that sound!
They come off the roost and all goes quiet. I did a little calling just when I knew they had come off the roost.

Radio silence...Damn it - they saw me setting up and I've been busted. They've left the area going up and over hill instead of coming down toward field. Wait, wait....

Do some calling, trying not to over call........Nothing.

Around 7:30 I decide to get up.
My legs hurt and I wanted to sneak around a bit uphill toward other end of field. Creep up there and into woods down tractor lane.
Sit at base of big oak at end of woods where these toms were roosting. Do some calling and immediately get a response from 2 toms....They come closer and closer over the next 1/2 hour.
They lock up on me and I realize for them to come to me they have to leave an open area and come down through a boulder field with tangled prickers...I hear them saying.."I'd really like to see who's over there but I'm not going through all that crap..." They leave and I follow.

I can see these 2 toms out in the field heading down the hill toward my set...

One of them takes off running down the hill going right where I had been sitting for 2.5 hours..! Argh...
Due to a huge berm in the middle of this small field I can flank these birds with cover and I head down there running parallel with them hoping to cut them off at the end of berm.
I get to the end and peak around looking down and to the right where my decoys are..........

It's a damn Gobbler party down there, about 70 yards away....Damn it!

One of the toms I'd been trying to cut off leaves the area and the lead bird bombs down the hill and joins the 4 other birds that have my decoys surrounded - 25 - 30 yds from my empty 3-legged stool hidden nicely behind the stone wall at the base of a tree.......

Me? I'm sitting on my ass 70 yds away watching these guys beat and sexaully assault my hard rubber jake decoy.
The biggest gobbler was incensed, highly pissed off that the jake decoy would not fight back - kicking, scratching, pecking it's head and face, jumping on it's back trying to rape it....Crazy.

He kept up the fight for 45 minutes straight!!

I called in 2 others close and couldn't get a shot. Came close but missed my chance at about 30 yds.
Those 3 birds leave the field while the bully keeps beating on the decoy. I consider trying to low crawl thru brush to get at that bird as he is so focused on the decoy, but decided to sit tight.

Don't stalk gobblers - right?

So the birds other than bully bird leave the field into woods. I call them back in over the next 40 minutes and eventually get them to my left along a stone wall about 40 yds out.
Now or never...I take a shot at second bird and totally expect him to dump...He spins around, runs and flies into the woods.......Ahhhh... I blew it. Shot high pretty sure.

I wait a few and sneak over there. Lead bird is up the hill and gobbling...within minutes of being almost shot..! I go down into woods to make sure tom wasn't down there wounded or dead...

And he starts gobbling up in a swamp...He had just been shot at and within 10 minutes he's trying to get laid again...unreal.
I actually sit and try and call these birds back again but give it up with a little bit..........

Had a 12:00 appointment at the office so had to get my ass out of there and home to shower and go.

Six hours in the woods with more gobbler action than I've had in 10 years of turkey hunting. My body is stiff and a little sore today from all the humping, sneaking and up and down...

I have the decoy massacre on video and will try and post if I can figure it out. Decoy held up real well.

The grass around it was all pounded flat with feathers everywhere off the assailant gobbler.

Long post I know, but gave me a chance to replay and critique:

* Get in early and be real careful roosting birds cannot hear or see you setting up.
* Stay put - If I had kept my butt on the stool I probably would have had my pick of 4 different toms, maybe.
* Aim small miss small. I'm pretty sure I held a little too high and put most of load over his head. I may have landed a few pellets but blew my chance...
* You can't kill a bird if you are not in the woods...Get after it.
* I'm 56 years old but still love it just as much as I did when I was 14.

Have a great weekend you all and good luck rest of the season....!

Last edited:
In my spot at 530 today.... heard a distant gobbler about 630.
He came right in, gobbling the whole way then stopped about 50-60 yards out and refused to come in any closer.
Stopped gobbling when it rained for 15-20 minutes. Then started right back up after the rain stopped.
Still couldn’t get him to come in. He finally headed out around 830.... still f***ing gobbling..

Stupid f’ing bird... but man... what a rush

He came right in, gobbling the whole way then stopped about 50-60 yards out and refused to come in any closer.
Stopped gobbling when it rained for 15-20 minutes. Then started right back up after the rain stopped.
Still couldn’t get him to come in. He finally headed out around 830.... still f***ing gobbling..

FWIW:

If you are solo you can try facing your calling away from him and trying to call softer making him think that the hen is moving away.

If you are hunting with a partner have them move back 30 yards or so and continue calling.

Bob

FWIW:

If you are solo you can try facing your calling away from him and trying to call softer making him think that the hen is moving away.

If you are hunting with a partner have them move back 30 yards or so and continue calling.

Bob

Thanks.... I was solo and my brother suggested to try the same trick if it happens again.

Remember that "rush"......cuz some seasons that all you get to enjoy. Lol

Tomorrow is day one of the season for me and the family. I have two options fort devens or camp Edward's. I'm taking my son with me and have decided on devens because it's closer to home and I have to get him back home for crew practice in the afternoon. Only drawback is the commander at devens made her own rules this year and said a dependent child is allowed on post to hunt but only one gun between the two. Whatever.....her base her rules I guess. Last 5 years my boy has hunted devens with me and the previous commanders had no issue with dependent minors hunting within the limit of mass regs so since he was 15 he's hunted with his own gun on post. This year he's 17 so with her rules hell have to have the gun and I'll call for him. Not a huge deal the goal is to get him a Tom this year.....its the only game animal he's yet to take so hopefully we can cross that off his list.

Best part is he had to email his crew coach and ask for a later water time for practice because he won't be in school tomorrow. Coach is a vegetarian. He emailed him "tuesday I'll be taking part in a volunteer wildlife management program and won't be in school.....can you put me into the later water session"? My boy is smart......well.....and a smart ass!

Back
Top Bottom