2021 NES Bullet Casting Seminar Feeler?

Should we hold the casting seminar in the spring or the fall?

• Total voters
I would guess it could eventually happen. However using carnauba red I usually see a full ring of lube still on the bullets I recover.

There are some good threads on it on CastBoolits.
It can be done and I’m sure the savings would pay for an extra gas tube from time to time.
Just about every cast bullet I pick up on the range still has red or blue lube on them.
The amount of fouling would need to be bad to do anything in short order.
The .225 55 grain gas checked lubed with Lyman I ran through my AR carbine with H4895 I loaded the powder charge to tge point of 100% function then blasted through the rest over a few years. Only swabing the barrel for rust prevention

As of today, I could host a early/mid May session at my house (Taunton near Dighton/Rehoboth). Saturday is the best day for me (Sunday is church day)

Early/Mid lets me ROM for two weeks before I have a known need to go into work for an event.

As of today, I could host a early/mid May session at my house (Taunton near Dighton/Rehoboth). Saturday is the best day for me (Sunday is church day)

Early/Mid lets me ROM for two weeks before I have a known need to go into work for an event.
Nice. Let’s discuss this. Might be a great way to get a small event in for the spring. Thank you!

The season is close, time to mine some Gold, RedNeck Gold that is
ZD3ye8km.jpg

Last edited:
That makes my 37 pounds of wheel weights look like nothing. My first wheel weight melt went great and @mac1911 I was working with my kid and I was telling him about your Redneck Gold molds. You know if they are still selling them and if so would you have the link handy.

I have my first MP-mold (8mm) in route and I’m hoping to fire the pot up this week. I still have to set up my lube a matic and I have a .323 and .325 sizer also in route. I’m finally starting to get some spare time for projects now that the new pup is getting older.

That makes my 37 pounds of wheel weights look like nothing. My first wheel weight melt went great and @mac1911 I was working with my kid and I was telling him about your Redneck Gold molds. You know if they are still selling them and if so would you have the link handy.

I have my first MP-mold (8mm) in route and I’m hoping to fire the pot up this week. I still have to set up my lube a matic and I have a .323 and .325 sizer also in route. I’m finally starting to get some spare time for projects now that the new pup is getting older.
Not sure what he has in stock

Not sure what he has in stock
I think he’s currently out of the redneck gold but had the CastBoolits moulds which are the same deal.
I would check the thread and see if he plans on making more. If not I would grab what he has because these moulds are awesome.

I think he’s currently out of the redneck gold but had the CastBoolits moulds which are the same deal.
I would check the thread and see if he plans on making more. If not I would grab what he has because these moulds are awesome.
Poke around the CB forum classifieds I have seen some pop up.
I might have one more stashed away BUT I think I sent that one off tothe seminar? Any way I will see when I get to that part if the basement

Negative. Work project trimmings. Contractors were tossing it in the regular trash dumpster. I politely informed them that that was a no no and told them to leave it in a crate. That I would remediate it. Management concurred.
If it wasn't glued to 1" plywood I could have tossed it in the scrap metal dumpster, but I figured they'd have a cow over that.
So guess I made out.

Thanks I appreciate it but I think you did donate it to the last seminar. Had an iPhone failure the other day but I’m hoping to get to setting up the lube a sizer at some point and start pouring. My 8mm hunter MP mold came on Friday and I really can’t wait to try it out. Any tips on seasoning it. I checked their sight and they said to bring it up to 400 degrees a few times. I was going to do it yesterday but I got caught up trying to fix the old f150 which has sponge brakes. I think it’s the brake line connection in the right rear wheel cylinder that is letting in air.

Thanks I appreciate it but I think you did donate it to the last seminar. Had an iPhone failure the other day but I’m hoping to get to setting up the lube a sizer at some point and start pouring. My 8mm hunter MP mold came on Friday and I really can’t wait to try it out. Any tips on seasoning it. I checked their sight and they said to bring it up to 400 degrees a few times. I was going to do it yesterday but I got caught up trying to fix the old f150 which has sponge brakes. I think it’s the brake line connection in the right rear wheel cylinder that is letting in air.
MP molds guide will get you there

Thanks that was the same page I was reviewing. Can’t wait to give it a try and I hope my wrists can hold up to the weight of the mold. Twenty five years programming behind the keyboard has taken its toll. It’s a beautiful mold and the shipping was really fast. It was a day behind my Midway order. Going to try ten pounds of my wheel weights with some pewter mixed in... 2-3%. I’ll post photos once they drop from the mold. This batch I might drop into cold water and send them through the lube a sizer that I still have to set up. Training the new pup has set me back on most of my projects. I updated my avatar picture with hers taken at Salisbury beach a few weeks back. I hated the purple B

Thanks that was the same page I was reviewing. Can’t wait to give it a try and I hope my wrists can hold up to the weight of the mold. Twenty five years programming behind the keyboard has taken its toll. It’s a beautiful mold and the shipping was really fast. It was a day behind my Midway order. Going to try ten pounds of my wheel weights with some pewter mixed in... 2-3%. I’ll post photos once they drop from the mold. This batch I might drop into cold water and send them through the lube a sizer that I still have to set up. Training the new pup has set me back on most of my projects. I updated my avatar picture with hers taken at Salisbury beach a few weeks back. I hated the purple B
Wrenching for 30+ my hands are darn near locked closed!

Should we start planing one for this year? I figure if the interest is there and we start early maybe we can have one in the spring before it gets too hot.

Or we wait till the fall like we usually do?

I think 2020/2021 has been a big wakeup call for shooters/reloaders to be more self sufficient and know the need to stock it deep to get through the next 4 years. There have been a ton of new shooters and reloaders in the past 4 years that dealt with the Trump Slump and tons of good cheap ammo available. This should be a wakeup call. This will and has happened every other president or so and can last 8 years.
Casting bullets is one way to get around 12-14 week lead times on bullets and settling for whatever comes in to stock first.
Not to mention all of the benefits of making your own.

This class also applies to people interested in reloading. We have had plenty of attendees that have never reloaded and learned how to cast first. It's a good way to network with locals and pick the brains of guys that are already reloading.

Below is just a little tweaked clip from the 2019 feeler thread.

For those that have not read about this or may be new here.

We basically spend a day going from scrap lead to ingot to as cast bullets to finished sized/coated/lubed bullets ready to load.
Explanations of how to and why to. All of the tools and accessories on premises for hands on learning.

Cast lead is cheap. It’s accurate. It can do a lot more than what most people think. Great for hunting. Can be pushed to rifle velocities with accuracy. Can be wrapped in a paper jacket and pushed 3000 FPS without leading. Can be shot in polygonal rifling with no issues.
Can be coated with the same coating(hi tek) that the big commercial guys use (bayou, SNS, gateway) and be treated like a plated bullet at that point.

Once you start asking around for scrap lead it starts appearing at your door. Basically free.
This takes out what used to be the most expensive component in reloading. Now of course that is the primer if you're paying the highway robbery prices.
1000 45 acp cartridges

1000 primers $ 150
$35/pound of powder at 5 grains each is $25 worth of powder
Free lead
Smidgen of electric
Tiny bit of propane
Little bit of bullet lube

Say $175 for 1000 cartridges.
Say you had to pay a dollar a pound for lead. That’s only another $29 for 1000 each 200 grain bullets.
So $204 for 1000 cartridges. Then you save on that tiny bit of propane for not smelting.

Compare this to the curet $1 a pop for some shoddy plastic bag of oxidized reloads that someone found in the basement and started a new NES account to sell them to the poor Noobs and understocked masses.

I have tried to keep every seminar tweaked to what the masses want. We will be doing it all from smelting to finished bullets ready to load. In the past attendees have not been super excited about smelting but last years attendees were very into the process. So I can work that out in the official thread and this feeler thread and we can tweak as we go the day of.
We will spend more or less time on a given subject depending on how much detail and how many questions we get.

There are usually some door prizes depending on who is donating. Sometimes we have samples of lube and or bullet coating

Breakfast (Portuguese donuts and coffee) and Lunch (pizza) is included in the price.

So let’s get the feelers out there and see who wants to take the next step in reloading.

If anyone has a question as to what cast lead bullets can or cannot do. What styles of bullets can be made. What cartridges they play well with or the ever popular health concerns please ask away.

Over the years I’ve learned so much about lead and cast bullets and learned that what most shooters know about lead is a bunch of hogwash and myths. What most casual jacketed/plated reloaders know about lead is just barely above that level.
This is not meant to be insulting but it’s meant to show that lead has been given a bad name over the years which has made people shy away from using it at all never mind casting their own.
So reach out here and hopefully some of the awesome presenters we have had over the years and some of the last students can post a word or two about the seminar and what it has done for them.

Please ask questions, make comments, bring on the nay sayers. Let’s air out some myths and lay down some knowledge to see if we can get some anti cast bullet guys interested and give a little nudge to those on the fence.

I always say that getting into bullet casting will change your life.
🙂

In the meantime I’ll post some sexy cast bullet pics with a note or two below them
can we make tungsten core 7.62x51?

Back
Top Bottom