21 killed, 18 injured in shooting at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas

It's been 20 years since they published the report from the Safe Schools Initiative. What have we implemented?

Overview of Findings
The findings of the Safe School Initiative suggest that there are productive actions that educators, law enforcement officials and others can pursue in response to the problem of targeted school violence. Specifically, Initiative findings suggest that these officials may wish to consider focusing their efforts to formulate strategies for preventing these attacks in two principal areas:
• developing the capacity to pick up on and evaluate available or knowable information that might indicate that there is a risk of a targeted school attack; and,
• employing the results of these risk evaluations or "threat assessments" in
developing strategies to prevent potential school attacks from occurring.
Support for these suggestions is found in 10 key findings of the Safe School Initiative study. These findings are as follows:
• Incidents of targeted violence at school rarely were sudden, impulsive acts.
• Prior to most incidents, other people knew about the attacker’s idea and/or plan to attack.
• Most attackers did not threaten their targets directly prior to advancing the attack.
• There is no accurate or useful "profile" of students who engaged in targeted school violence. [13]
• Most attackers engaged in some behavior prior to the incident that caused others concern or indicated a need for help.
• Most attackers had difficulty coping with significant losses or personal failures. Moreover, many had considered or attempted suicide.
• Many attackers felt bullied, persecuted or injured by others prior to the attack.
• Most attackers had access to and had used weapons prior to the attack.
• In many cases, other students were involved in some capacity.
• Despite prompt law enforcementresponses, most shooting incidents were stopped by means other than law enforcement intervention.

[13] Here the term "profile" refers to a set of demographic and other traits that a set of perpetrators of a crime have in common. Please refer to "Characterizing the Attacker" in Chapter III and to Reddy et al. (2001),
"Evaluating risk for targeted violence in schools" in the Resources section for further explanation of the term "profile."

Every school in MA that I have been to has a camera and double glass doors, you have to be buzzed in the first door by the secretary that you talk to on the loudspeaker... Every door is locked, except sometimes the janitors leave the delivery door open, other than that it is hard to get access to any school in MA(that I have been to)

This is a small cost(relatively) and every school in the US should have such a system.

It's a start.

Then install metal detectors.

The only vulnerable time is when school starts and gets let out.

The officers shot were chasing him. He crashed the car and ran into the school.

Why were the doors not locked as is the standard today? It's coming to light that the school might not have been a target until the crash. Very little is known or being released at this time.

This is my take as well. If he wanted to get even with high schoolers who bullied him, then he might have been on his way to the High School when he crashed and this was the closest target. He wanted to send a message one way or the other.

It's been 20 years since they published the report from the Safe Schools Initiative. What have we implemented?

Overview of Findings
The findings of the Safe School Initiative suggest that there are productive actions that educators, law enforcement officials and others can pursue in response to the problem of targeted school violence. Specifically, Initiative findings suggest that these officials may wish to consider focusing their efforts to formulate strategies for preventing these attacks in two principal areas:
• developing the capacity to pick up on and evaluate available or knowable information that might indicate that there is a risk of a targeted school attack; and,
• employing the results of these risk evaluations or "threat assessments" in
developing strategies to prevent potential school attacks from occurring.
Support for these suggestions is found in 10 key findings of the Safe School Initiative study. These findings are as follows:
• Incidents of targeted violence at school rarely were sudden, impulsive acts.
• Prior to most incidents, other people knew about the attacker’s idea and/or plan to attack.
• Most attackers did not threaten their targets directly prior to advancing the attack.
• There is no accurate or useful "profile" of students who engaged in targeted school violence. [13]
• Most attackers engaged in some behavior prior to the incident that caused others concern or indicated a need for help.
• Most attackers had difficulty coping with significant losses or personal failures. Moreover, many had considered or attempted suicide.
• Many attackers felt bullied, persecuted or injured by others prior to the attack.
• Most attackers had access to and had used weapons prior to the attack.
• In many cases, other students were involved in some capacity.
• Despite prompt law enforcementresponses, most shooting incidents were stopped by means other than law enforcement intervention.

[13] Here the term "profile" refers to a set of demographic and other traits that a set of perpetrators of a crime have in common. Please refer to "Characterizing the Attacker" in Chapter III and to Reddy et al. (2001),
"Evaluating risk for targeted violence in schools" in the Resources section for further explanation of the term "profile."
Increased bullying . . .

My wife (LTC and carries everywhere) would feel absolutely awful as well. She probably "wouldn't know how she'd live with herself if she had to kill somebody".
Then she'd realize she just saved her own life plus our kids lives (plus the lives of 20 or so kids plus others etc).

Then she'd probably go for coffee... (with her Ruger locked and loaded and holstered in her waist, just as always).

Point is none of us - NONE of us - really want to kill anyone, ever. But we carry because we know fully well that we have roughly three to seven SECONDS to react quickly to save ourselves (or our kids). "Just call 911" ain't gonna save us. And if we absolutely, positively have no other alternative than to eliminate a threat by firing our weapon at it?
Then so be it.

Just sayin'

I truly don't "want" to kill anyone and pray I never have to, but I honestly would have no problem killing someone like this who I knew was en route to kill a bunch of kids or people. These are such horrific events, I get sick to my stomach thinking about (I am trying not to) what these little kids went through, including the survivors. I believe I would be much worse off mentally from not being able to stop it or not doing what I should have to stop it, than from killing the perpetrator.

Last edited:
I would add to that list, “What was this kid’s gun training?” As any trained weapons expert can attest to, it would take a tremendous amount of skill to KILL 15+ people in a short period of time. Many people survive gunshots… unless lethal areas are hit. Pretty “talented” 18- year old to be able to inflict 15+ lethal wounds in a row.

Hi Maura!

don't "want" to kill anyone and pray I never have to, but I honestly would have no problem killing someone like
like an another 16 yr old in line who will take a black plastic bb gun after a failed exam and get to the high school to commit a suicide by a willful militia dude with an AR15?
think what you wish for before it comes true.

As any trained weapons expert can attest to, it would take a tremendous amount of skill to KILL 15+ people in a short period of time.

Really, well next time you have their ear perhaps you could ask these “trained weapons experts” if they have ever seen more than two or three targets in the open at one time, let alone 30+ in a room the size of classroom.

🐯

an executive order cannot do it all.
they can raise the minimum age at a federal level, yes. and throw more hurdles in into the acquisition process, like from a 1 week to 6 months delay on the federal gun purchase confirmation transaction.

they would love try to do something about semi-automatics, but it is not really doable, so they probably will try to insert hurdles into something that already exists, to make it non-operational.
I think the feds will go after something a little different, like insuraance companies and making an insurance policy required on all guns, or extra home owners insurance, banks will stop letting their credit cards be used, it won't be directly a 'gun law'. Scumbags will scumbag.

US Citizen killed his grandmother before the attack, leads me to think either the parents were illegals and he was born here or they are unfit and he's been being raised by gramma.
He couldve had behavioral issues from day one and the gm was the only one with enough patience to deal with him.

I think the feds will go after something a little different, like insuraance companies and making an insurance policy required on all guns, or extra home owners insurance, banks will stop letting their credit cards be used, it won't be directly a 'gun law'. Scumbags will scumbag.
may be. pointless to speculate.

my opinion is same - the easiest way is just to mess with NICS. disable the computerized approval completely, with a demand to mail in printed original documentation. demand to provide a psychiatric form as a part of that documentation. who knows what else can be done - without a direct 'infringement' that may stick in court. i guess we will see.

again, to think of that like government thinks - the core of the problem are not gun owners, it is all the FFLs who sell guns. if you bankrupt them, by interfering with sales and running them out of business - you will get what you want. so it is only logical to expect some sort of a new interference there.

Last edited:
Not reading 500 posts.
Was the shooter a lawfull gun owner?
don`t think so. but it was a rifle, not a handgun. go figure what TX is about rights to carry ARs.

Sections 46.02 and 46.04 of the Texas Penal Code describe unlawful carry and possession of a firearm. Generally, to carry a handgun in public in Texas without an LTC, a person must:

The new Texas law does not give the right to carry a handgun to anyone who was prohibited before the new law took effect.

Long Guns​

Texas law does not specifically say how you can carry a long gun such as a rifle. However, some people are prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm by law. See the Owning and Possessing section of this research guide for more information.

I'm fine with a resource officers, I think they need to be plain clothes and the kids shouldn't know they are an officer. If an 18 year old is hell bent on shooting up a school with a semi-automatic rifle, that uniformed resource officer is getting shot first.
My kid's old school had 2 RSO's. One sat by the main entrance, big boy, first to die. The other one actually took it pretty seriously. We talked 'worst case' one time, just to be on the same page. We found out some kid brought a hatchet to school and was chasing kids before someone tackled her, he was livid he was never contacted. I put it succinctly, I would have shot her. I would have gone home and slept that night. I went to speak with the principal, they railroaded me, I kept calling and making appointments for a meeting, meetings kept being cancelled. The kid was kicked out of the school. I didn't carry in the school, but I wasn't 'unarmed'.

Kid entered school thru unsecured door, wore body armor and entered a 4th grade classroom and barricaded himself in room and started killing kids until BORTEC team entered and killed him according to FOX. He was unemployed but bought 2 AR's , where did he get money for weapons ammo and body armor? Shot grandma in face before fleeing. Did he know door was unsecured?

like an another 16 yr old in line who will take a black plastic bb gun after a failed exam and get to the high school to commit a suicide by a willful militia dude with an AR15?
think what you wish for before it comes true.
Play stupid games, I'm not taking that chance it's a 'fake' gun. If not actively firing, he/she'd get the put the gun down, but walking into a room full of kids? Nope. I'm no willful militia dude.

BORTEC team entered
it was not a team - probably a parent from that celebration as that school had a lot of bortec families kids.
no details yet on whoever was that and how he got there. all that was said so far was a slippage of the bortec dude solely engaging that perp, and emerging back to the police injured.

Last edited:
Kid entered school thru unsecured door, wore body armor and entered a 4th grade classroom and barricaded himself in room and started killing kids until BORTEC team entered and killed him according to FOX. He was unemployed but bought 2 AR's , where did he get money for weapons ammo and body armor? Shot grandma in face before fleeing. Did he know door was unsecured?
Every DD rifle is at least $2k.

The only vulnerable time is when school starts and gets let out.

Not really.

Doors get propped all the time, usually by sports teams and coaches who want to use the entrance near the locker room but don't have keycards. This happens at all hours of the day.

In addition, this was the last week of school and an awards/promotion ceremony was going on that day. It's common to prop doors open in case parents want to attend things like that, and it's VERY common if teachers are moving stuff out of their classrooms for the summer.

My question would be whether the shooter would have known that before going over there. All of this stuff will come out eventually.

He was unemployed but bought 2 AR's , where did he get money for weapons ammo and body armor?
The Epoch Times is reporting he worked at a Wendy's.

A manager at a local Wendy’s in Uvalde confirmed Ramos had worked at the establishment but “kept to himself mostly.”

Back
Top Bottom