• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Short NAA... Come at me, NES

Yes, it's a real thing and yes, I bought one. I have a magnum NAA, but wanted a smaller model and the Short and LR models are smaller than the Magnum models, so I figured with the goal being smaller I may as well go with the smallest. I don't shoot the Magnum model much, don't really need to given how short the distances these are meant for, so even with it being .22 Short only I don't see myself burning thru more than a brick a year. For self defense, regardless of what NAA it is my target is always going to be the head because I don't trust a center mass shot to penetrate deep enough to be effective. I also figured that in hot weather the small Short model will conceal better as a backup gun or even as a primary for when I'm sweating my balls off changing a tire because I wasn't interested in waiting 3 hours for AAA.

I did do a little research and the stuff I watched on the .22 Short and LR NAA's is that at best .22 LR ammo only penetrates maybe an inch deeper than round nose high velocity .22 Short does. IMO that extra inch is irrelevant, both are underpowered, but all these NAA revolvers are is a sacrifice in power for smaller size.

Then I figure if I ever do want to upgrade to the LR model in the future that will be easy because they're easy to find, the .22 Shorts are probably the least common NAA revolver and that's cool on its own merit.

Now, tell me I'm stupid and I should have bought a 2mm Kolibri pistol instead.

Last edited:
A .22 short in the pocket is better than a .44 in the safe. Probably.
In this case it's more along the lines of the tiniest gun is more practical than the next tiniest gun given the lack of power of both. The more I look into .22 LR for defense compared to .22 Short in a short barrel, the more unimpressed I am with it. Consider that all the DA snub .22's are built on .38 or .357 sized frames so there's a lot of freebore in the chambers that just adds size and weight to the revolver and the results aren't much better than .22 Short, which seems to be more efficient than .22 LR is from a short barrel.

I don't really understand why anybody would ever actually buy one of those things... other than as a flex to show off about how tiny of a gun they own they're pretty useless/impractical in reality.

I don't really understand why anybody would ever actually buy one of those things... other than as a flex to show off about how tiny of a gun they own they're pretty useless/impractical in reality.
I believe it's known as "Mouse Gun Fever". I've had it a few times myself...most recently chasing down a Bond Arms Derringer in 45ACP...I dig it.

I have a .22lr NAA Mini and a .22 Mag NAA PUG

Both are novelties at best.

I wanted to make the .22lr into a key ring fob… But MA

I believe it's known as "Mouse Gun Fever". I've had it a few times myself...most recently chasing down a Bond Arms Derringer in 45ACP...I dig it.
Yeah but a derringer is at least less useless than that thing at least you can hold on to a derringer

I think you can do more damage with your finger giving 24 pounds of force to the attacker, than using it to launch that .22 short.

The Bond is not a mouse gun IMO, they're chunky and come in some serious calibers. The new slim frame Stinger RS models that are like $250 and sized around the .38/9mm caliber are on my radar. Just waiting on a .32 version.

GetImage.ashx

Yeah but a derringer is at least less useless than that thing at least you can hold on to a derringer
There are some grips that aren't much larger than the stock ones that help. I'll be looking into which of those most have had success with.

My original thought was to find some of the laser grips that Laserlyte made a few years ago. They're no longer made, so I'll be looking for them on ebay I think.

I did do a little research and the stuff I watched on the .22 Short and LR NAA's is that at best .22 LR ammo only penetrates maybe an inch deeper than round nose high velocity .22 Short does. IMO that extra inch is irrelevant, both are underpowered, but all these NAA revolvers are is a sacrifice in power for smaller size.

This line made me laugh.

Have fun with it. It will at least be good for dispatching animals you trap in your garage.

To update, I shot this twice the past two Fridays, today I figured I'd shoot it back to back with the Magnum model. I figured out how to hold the sights to get a repeatable POI with the POA, which with the NAA's is crucial given the short sight radius. With the Magnum, I've found it requires a 7 o'clock hold with the fixed sights and anything beyond 7 yards the distance I have to hold off target is insane, even at just 5 yards I've got to aim about 5 inches left and 1 inch down to hit.

With the .22 Short, the windage and elevation is dead nuts so long as you use the firing pin on the hammer as the rear sight and hold the top of it about halfway up the front blade, then use the tip of the front blade as your POI. Works like a champ and I can, with a lot of focus, hit a steel plate about 6 inches in diameter at 12 yards.

It it weren't for the POI being way off from the POA with the Magnum, I would say that the larger grip is better because shooting with the smaller grip means it wants to twist in my hand more as I pull the trigger and it throws my shots off. I thought about getting some rubber grips, but I think all I need is the boot grips and I'll be good to go.

Oh, I also brought my .45 Hi Point with me and I was knocking down steel at 20 yards with it like it was nothing. Apparently I'm a trigger master, nothing except a stock SP101 in double action phases me.

Any keyholing with the short or magnum?
I haven't shot enough paper to find out with the .22 Short, the Magnum I can't remember. The challenge with the NAA's has always been hitting the paper, less is it keyholing.

Now that I know where to hold the .22 Short, I'll try on paper next time and see.

Back
Top Bottom