.223 /556 brass

wylde will chamber both rounds from what i remember.

there's a lot of info online. seems like anything else there are exceptions to the rule though

I was just reading about this recently because my new AR is stamped .223 on the upper but has 5.56 stamped on the underside of the barrel. As long as the barrel is stamped for 5.56 then you can safely shoot 5.56 or .223 rounds. If the barrel is marked for .223 then supposedly shooting 5.56 through it can cause damage due to the higher pressure of the 5.56 round. It will shoot either, but it is advisable not to shoot 5.56 through a rifle built only for .223

I was just reading about this recently because my new AR is stamped .223 on the upper but has 5.56 stamped on the underside of the barrel. As long as the barrel is stamped for 5.56 then you can safely shoot 5.56 or .223 rounds. If the barrel is marked for .223 then supposedly shooting 5.56 through it can cause damage due to the higher pressure of the 5.56 round. It will shoot either, but it is advisable not to shoot 5.56 through a rifle built only for .223

This is true

Manufacturer will tell you for sure. My Sabre 223 barrel was guaranteed to eat any 5.56mm by it's maker shortly before liquidation.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

wylde will chamber both rounds from what i remember.

there's a lot of info online. seems like anything else there are exceptions to the rule though

Found this "The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy"

i remember discussing it with the owner of firebird precision, but i didn't know all of the details.
i remember him basically summing it up as a compromise. somewhere in between the two normal chamberings.
from what i remember you were supposed to have benefited over a 5.56 chamber, because it was a little tighter spec and therefore not as sloppy when using the .223

again, i don't remember all the details. i think supermoto knows a thing or two about it. maybe he'll chime in here

My .223 Wylde barrel will fire and extract M855 5.56 without a hiccup. While the general rule is if a barrel is marked 5.56 it will fire both, the .223 Wylde was designed for both, also. Happy shooting!

John's wylde chamber will run damned near anything you put through it.

brass is brass though. It'll likely need to be sized first time around (im assuming 1x fired....dont know many people that buy brand new brass for shortline ammo). size it to .003" or so under what a fired case comes out of your gun at, and load a boatload of ammo. trigger time helps more than anything else with this game.

Mike, My father's AR I built him has a WOA barrel, and my 18" upper I did away with was a WOA barrel as well. They both happily ate all the .223 / 5.56 that were fed to them. Lots of surplus green tip, fed match, and even (gasp!) wolf. You shouldn't have an issue at all. And WOA will take care of you if your reciever isn't right.

I've put close to 3000 rounds of Lake City 5.56 brass through my current White Oak service upper without a hiccup.

Back
Top Bottom