.223 Berdans

I have never run into Berdan primers in .223 until tonight. Snapped 2 de-capping pins. I thought it was just tough .556 going through the sizing die,after the de-capping die.
Now I am applying limited pressure to make sure I don't break any more pins.
Mike

for a second i thought you found where to get berdan primers.
back in the old country you could buy'em if you reload but never seen them here.

A good reason to sort and identify your range pick up brass at least once so you know which headstamps are berdan and boxer primed.

Another 5.56 brass to watch for is Guatemalan surplus. Its boxer primed but has both undersized and lots of off center flash holes. I broke a couple of pins with it and decided to scrap what spent brass I had left and will leave the rest of the brass at the range when I fire up the rest of the factory stuff in the future. Not worth the aggrivation or expense involved, I rather reload Wolf steel cases.

I'll post the headstamp details on it tomorrow.

EDIT: The headstamp on Guatemalan surplus is IMG

Is this the headstamp pictured for your berdan primed stuff? I've seen lots of it around on the ranges and I think it might be the South African stuff that was prevalent several years ago.View attachment 32549

It was easy to pick out because of the sparse stamp and the primer sealer color which was purple..ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Berdan primers are available here in the states. Problem being is most places sell out fast when they get them.
I have had some old norinco 223 that was berdan primed. now I know why it was left in a neat pile next to the trash bucket.

A good reason to sort and identify your range pick up brass at least once so you know which headstamps are berdan and boxer primed.

Another 5.56 brass to watch for is Guatemalan surplus. Its boxer primed but has both undersized and lots of off center flash holes. I broke a couple of pins with it and decided to scrap what spent brass I had left and will leave the rest of the brass at the range when I fire up the rest of the factory stuff in the future. Not worth the aggrivation or expense involved, I rather reload Wolf steel cases.

I'll post the headstamp details on it tomorrow.

EDIT: The headstamp on Guatemalan surplus is IMG

Is this the headstamp pictured for your berdan primed stuff? I've seen lots of it around on the ranges and I think it might be the South African stuff that was prevalent several years ago.View attachment 32549

It was easy to pick out because of the sparse stamp and the primer sealer color which was purple..ish.

Yes
View attachment 32588View attachment 32589View attachment 32590View attachment 32591

Back
Top Bottom