.223 brass prep sequence

What is the sequence for the .223 prep.
I have cleaned and checked for berdan primers.
I just got my case Gauge , RCBS swager , LNL single stage press ,
Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Kit,and rifle dies.
What would be the most officiant way to start the process?
I also plan on using my LNL progressive with case feeder.
Thanks, Mike

Remove all crimps on pockets so the lenght isn't skewed by excess brass. This is assuming they full lenght sized. Trim next.

Rest hands while wishing you got a Giraud trimmer.

De-burr and chamfer cases. Check flash holes before loading, shoot and repeat.

Mike, this one has been covered to death. Many times.

Having said that:

1) You have to full length resize
2) Trim to length, including deburr
3) Remove the primer crimp
4) install primer
5) install powder
6) Seat bullet
7) NO crimp (not needed)
8) Remove resizing lube

Now, the order in which you do some of those is up to you. For example, some people remove the resizing lube right after resizing. I tend to leave it on the case until the final assembly is done, and then wipe it off.

I do the full length resizing, trimming to length, and decrimping the primer pocket OFF PRESS, and then introduce the brass to the press for assembly.

Mike, this one has been covered to death. Many times.

Having said that:

1) You have to full length resize
2) Trim to length, including deburr
3) Remove the primer crimp
4) install primer
5) install powder
6) Seat bullet
7) NO crimp (not needed)
8) Remove resizing lube

Now, the order in which you do some of those is up to you. For example, some people remove the resizing lube right after resizing. I tend to leave it on the case until the final assembly is done, and then wipe it off.

I do the full length resizing, trimming to length, and decrimping the primer pocket OFF PRESS, and then introduce the brass to the press for assembly.

Thanks, Duke.

I did do a search first,and did not find anything.

Last edited:
Remove all crimps on pockets so the length isn't skewed by excess brass. This is assuming they full length sized. Trim next.

Rest hands while wishing you got a Giraud trimmer.
De-burr and chamfer cases. Check flash holes before loading, shoot and repeat.

Maybe I am lucky , or have done something incorrect.
It took me quite a while to set my die so the case fit the case gauge. After I did a few it seems like only about 20% need the necks trimmed. Granted its a small amount I have done, but if they fit the gauge,there is no need to trim.

Trimming cases to similar lengths makes everything consistent and standardized. If you have variations in case lengths, even though they may still be within spec., and you're using a crimp die you will have inconsistent contact on the case mouth, if at all. This is where you'd seek uniformity. Obviously if the case is overlength to the extent that the mouth interferes with the chamber throat or rifling, you will have other problems to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom