223 match ammo questions.

Hello,
I have two quick questions.
1: How intergchangable are match bullets of the same weight and shape between different manufacters?
ie: can I sub a hornady 52gr HPBT for a sierra 52gr HPBT with the same load data?

2: My 2nd question is regarding the above mentioned 52gr HPBT bullets with alliant reloader 7. My sierra manual lists the max load as 22.4gr at 2.250OAL
However, alliant lists the max load as 20.9gr at the same oal.
Does anyone have any input regarding this load?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Steve

Hello,
I have two quick questions.
1: How intergchangable are match bullets of the same weight and shape between different manufacters?
ie: can I sub a hornady 52gr HPBT for a sierra 52gr HPBT with the same load data?

2: My 2nd question is regarding the above mentioned 52gr HPBT bullets with alliant reloader 7. My sierra manual lists the max load as 22.4gr at 2.250OAL
However, alliant lists the max load as 20.9gr at the same oal.
Does anyone have any input regarding this load?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Steve

My guess is that 52 HPBTs would be pretty much interchangeable, but in general just because they weigh the same, there may be things that could cause one bullet to generate greater pressure. For example, .22 77gr. HPBTs will typically generate greater pressure than a .22 80gr. VLD even though the VLD is slightly heavier. The reason is the bearing surface on the VLD is a lot shorter and the bullet is seated out much further which results in much greater case volume. All that can change though if you start jamming them into the rifling though.

Look at what rifle was used to generate the loading data, and see if there is any difference. My guess is that the loads were maxed for the rifle and chamber that was in each rifle. Your rifle is going to be different than the one they both had, so be your own judge and use common sense. I routinely shoot loads that are over max, but that is because my rifle is fine with the loads.

B

My guess is that 52 HPBTs would be pretty much interchangeable, but in general just because they weigh the same, there may be things that could cause one bullet to generate greater pressure. For example, .22 77gr. HPBTs will typically generate greater pressure than a .22 80gr. VLD even though the VLD is slightly heavier. The reason is the bearing surface on the VLD is a lot shorter and the bullet is seated out much further which results in much greater case volume. All that can change though if you start jamming them into the rifling though.

Look at what rifle was used to generate the loading data, and see if there is any difference. My guess is that the loads were maxed for the rifle and chamber that was in each rifle. Your rifle is going to be different than the one they both had, so be your own judge and use common sense. I routinely shoot loads that are over max, but that is because my rifle is fine with the loads.

B

Thanks very much. I will start low and work up using the chronograph.

Back
Top Bottom