.223 neck marks. Would you still use? When to retire the case.

I think my AR is beating up my brass/necks a bit and I'm not really sure how much these marks will affect the life of the cases. I found one (twice fired) that actually cracked at the neck very little but still cracked. I am looking for input on what to do with the lot of brass. Some say once one cracks, toss the lot.

I don't think any of these are cracked but, are scratched and dingged up a bit

The four on the left are twice fired cleaned and sized, the two on the right are thrice fired not prepped:

Are you sure you didn't do that in the reloading press?

Does it also happen to factory loaded ammo?

Are you sure you didn't do that in the reloading press?

Does it also happen to factory loaded ammo?

Yes and yes. I know a couple marks are lube marks but even a nice factory round comes out with these dings and scratches. I can proabbly sort my brass by the amount of dings on the neck to tell how many times they have been fired.

I think my AR is beating up my brass/necks a bit and I'm not really sure how much these marks will affect the life of the cases. I found one (twice fired) that actually cracked at the neck very little but still cracked. I am looking for input on what to do with the lot of brass. Some say once one cracks, toss the lot.

I don't think any of these are cracked but, are scratched and dingged up a bit

The four on the left are twice fired cleaned and sized, the two on the right are thrice fired not prepped:

whats causing the rings on the shoulders of the cases on the left?
what brass.... head stamps
personally I do as many do I see case splits I dump the lot. I load my cases in either 100, 250 or 500 case lots depends on what I shoot and how much... I go 5 reloads and if there is no case issues showing it goes into the blasting/annealing bucket for future use. Don't have anealer yet.
The case dings on the body are from the deflector.

Last edited by a moderator:
whats causing the rings on the shoulders of the cases on the left?
what brass.... head stamps
The rings I think are from sizing but not 100% sure, looks worse in the picture but I know that the dies are very clean. Its all LC '13 '14 '15 and PMC same issues with both.

It's possible LC is really thining out the brass and alloy ? They don't care if it can be reloaded. What was the source of the brass?

It's possible LC is really thining out the brass and alloy ? They don't care if it can be reloaded. What was the source of the brass?

Source... as in where did i buy it or where it was made?

Its from american eagle black box or green box bought at random stores. Where made, i have no idea.

Source... as in where did i buy it or where it was made?

Its from american eagle black box or green box bought at random stores. Where made, i have no idea.

Right who made it Federal , or what have you.
I had some scrappy LC brass 2008 it lost its neck tension after a few loads it ran very hard through the sizer and even after crimp removal the primers always need help to seat.
Now I have some LC that has the NATO cross that has been good. Completely different looking head stamp to?

Check your feed ramps- there may be a burr or at least a very sharp edge.

I had a lot of LC brass that was junk. I forget what was the cheap ammo brand, but the brass was LC and the necks were very brittle and I had several splits after the first resize. Tossed that lot and avoided LC until recently. Saved my brass from some Creedmoor ammo provided by CMP for their M16 match last Sept. This lot is resizing as well as some expensive brass I have been using.

Back
Top Bottom