.223 Projectiles in Mass

OK, I understand that I can't go out of Mass and I'm not asking who sells to Mass from outside of Mass. But - where can I can i get (in Massachusetts) .223 55 grain Projectiles FMJBT with cannelure in bulk at a modest price? The local (Mass) licensed ammo sellers only have packages of 100 and they are pricey. Is anyone selling, in Mass, discounted bulk?

Don't give me the name of anyone outside of Mass please.

Dick
Springfield Mass area

OK, I understand that I can't go out of Mass and I'm not asking who sells to Mass from outside of Mass. But - where can I can i get (in Massachusetts) .223 55 grain Projectiles FMJBT with cannelure in bulk at a modest price? The local (Mass) licensed ammo sellers only have packages of 100 and they are pricey. Is anyone selling, in Mass, discounted bulk?

Dick
Springfield Mass area

Mass laws are confusing, so misunderstandings are to be expected. But, be assured, you can buy loaded ammunition, bullets, cases, powder, primers, etc. outside of your home state and even if that state is Massachusetts. Take a drive to a free state and enjoy yourself.

Yeah... Heck I go to nh and buy what ever I want . Lol
But http://qmmo.net/reloads_price.php
Internet price with out shipping

Very true, but OP needs to know that all purchases with Qmmo have to be FTF in Mansfield and that's a long drive from Springfield! And he sells loaded ammo only not bullets for reloading.

To the OP: In spite of what Martha (AG) and EOPS WANTS! The borders to MA are still open (after all how could they get all those welfare moms in the state if they closed the borders to the state) and you can indeed legally go anywhere outside MA and buy what you want and as long as it is legal to possess in MA (bullets certainly are with a LTC) you are GTG! Make a day trip to Riley's in NH, a NH gun show (coming up in Sept), Cabela's in CT, go out to eat, maybe do some sightseeing and make a day of it. You won't regret it.

Also when I was in Collector's in Stoneham last week, "it looked like" the boxes of 500 bullets on the stairway might have included some that were plated (in the past all I saw was lead). You might give them a call if you "want to come out East" and see if they have (or can get) what you want.

Very true, but OP needs to know that all purchases with Qmmo have to be FTF in Mansfield and that's a long drive from Springfield! And he sells loaded ammo only not bullets for reloading.

Not true. On occasion I sell non-OEM acquired bullets, powder and primers to local reloaders.

1. Most internet companies that sell reloading components (bullets, cases etc) WILL NOT ship to Mass because they are not licensed to sell ammo in Mass.

2. Who in Mass sells .223 components inexpensively?

Everywhere I've looked only sells 100 pieces at a time.

Dick, you're not too far from Cabelas in Hartford, right? You might want to check there. What they don't have in stock, they will ship to the store for pickup. They don't care where you live.

DickL said:
1. Most internet companies that sell reloading components (bullets, cases etc) WILL NOT ship to Mass because they are not licensed to sell ammo in Mass.

2. Who in Mass sells .223 components inexpensively?

Everywhere I've looked only sells 100 pieces at a time.

1. They don't have to be licensed to sell ammo in mass if their business is outside of mass. These guys won't ship because they have been threatened and made a business decision not to ship here. Perfectly legal to buy online.

2. I have never seen bulk .223 components for sale in mass inexpensively.

What EC said. Cabela's will ship internet orders to the E. Htfd. store, and you can pick up there. Another place to check is with Judy and Chris at Guns n Gear in Agawam. They can probably order what you need. Nice folks, too.

I'm not sure how local they are to you but heritage gun in coin in RI was very well stocked and decent prices a while back. The only bulk 224 bullets I seen at cabela,'s where Remington or Winchester for just over 100.00 about as cheap as they come unless you buy in larger quantity. Might want to find a free state buddy and make a plans to get together. Personally I have not seen 224 bullets much cheaper. Buying then 6000 at a time gets you to. 08 cents ea. Pulled bullets are no bargin, that I can find anyway.
you can get good prices on factory seconds from hornady and nosler but really not a great deal for the bulk stuff......the factory secound match bullets must be very good as they sell out fast!! Good luck.

Ill secound that there very little of bulk reloading stuff in mass. The name escapes me but there's a shop not far from foursessons......collectors??
That has always had a good amount of bullets in bulk. Along the stairs going to the up stairs gun racks.......

Last edited:
Who here thinks an ammo only store would be a success in MA? Question: Is it easier, permit-wise, to sell just ammo, than to also sell firearms and everything else? (Think Walmart, etc.)

Question: Is it easier, permit-wise, to sell just ammo, than to also sell firearms and everything else?

In theory the answer ~should~ be "yes." Unless I'm mistaken you don't need any federal licenses to sell ammo (assuming that you're just selling it, not manufacturing or importing it.)

You do need a license from the state however. In reality, I'd bet that getting that would be a royal pain in the ass.

I thought about a while back.....you go to PD for application. My Pd didn't see any up front issues. Although you have the mass regulations for storage to deal with. I see the town/FD signing off on your regualtions permit for commercial quantities a bigger problem. Then you u have the problem of getting good enough deals to sell @ walmart prices or slightly less.
I'm guessing the profit margin is a bit low unless your buying well into the 5 digit or 6 digit investment range. I would think buy now the cry for bulk ammo would have been answered by a shop or 2 or 3 havering ammo pallet parties.

I still get ammo a lot cheaper through other vendors than any shop has come close to?
we have a wholesale distributor right here in mass and it doesn't seem to help any.
we here at nes seem to be doing ok with the groupbuys...

Last edited:
In theory the answer ~should~ be "yes." Unless I'm mistaken you don't need any federal licenses to sell ammo (assuming that you're just selling it, not manufacturing or importing it.)

You do need a license from the state however. In reality, I'd bet that getting that would be a royal pain ...

Like I said, Walmarts and gun shops do it. Of course, gun shops have an even higher level license than this.

Dick
Springfield Mass area

Have you tried Guns and Gear in Agawam? LINK

Great people and if they don't have what you want, I would bet they can get it.

Just picked up some powder at Holliston Firearms nice little store he has a good selection of stuff powders, primers and bullets has boxes up to 1000 in some calibers will be going back

Back
Top Bottom