• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2A Outreach - Need Your Help!

UPDATED:
All Massachusetts NES Members,

Your assistance is requested in outreach to our fellow Lawful gun owners of the Commonwealth. Many in Massachusetts lack information with regard to the firearm & licensing laws and issues of our state. If we want to bring about change we must increase our numbers and move forward cohesively.

I have requested a one-sheet/flyer/pamphlet from both GOAL and Comm2A. These flyers will be printed out and distributed in front of gun shops to help increase membership to GOAL and Comm2A as well as awareness in the MA gun community of the political/legal landscape. I am calling out to ALL NES members throughout the state to join, by doing the same in your areas. I will organize places, times and dates if there is a positive response from the NES community. The goal is to schedule one weekend day per month, where NES members perform these "2A Promotions" at gun shops. All volunteers will do this the same day each month and really create some buzz.

• Events will occur on Saturday mornings from 10am to 12pm
    • Beginning December 15, 2012
  • Unless otherwise stated, remain outside the location
  • Teams of 2 per location is preferred, 1 is OK - more than 2 is not
  • Permission may be required at some locations - please ask retail/event management
  • Avoid conversation with opposition and media - our goal is to hand out flyers only, not argue
  • If asked to leave by management, do so immediately - set up in the parking lot away from the store front
  • Please dress presentably
  • You will be responsible for printing out copies of flyers
  • As new issues come up, such as specific bills/laws/acts, the flyer(s) may be updated

Please PM me if you would like to participate in this outreach - in your PM please include your first name and email address. I will respond with my email contact information, files for printing, and additional details. Please check back on this thread for more information and promotion dates.

If you are in western MA and are interested in joining me at a location I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a great idea. Could backfire and achieve the opposite results. We are outnumbered and this might be fuel for the antis.

Nice to see thinking outside the box though.

Speaking for myself only, I would say the better task would be to hit the gun shops and the gun clubs. GOAL dwarfs us and they have about 10% of the licensed population as members. That speaks to the lack of gun owner participation in the process. The Comm2A tri-fold is designed to get existing gun owners informed about the org. A general gun rights flyer it is not.

Speaking for myself only, I would say the better task would be to hit the gun shops and the gun clubs. GOAL dwarfs us and they have about 10% of the licensed population as members. That speaks to the lack of gun owner participation in the process. The Comm2A tri-fold is designed to get existing gun owners informed about the org. A general gun rights flyer it is not.

Makes sense - focus on gun stores for Comm2A flyer. Will do.

Makes sense - focus on gun stores for Comm2A flyer. Will do.

I've handed out flyers for GOAL at the Topsfield Fair a few years ago when I lived in MA. I concur with going after gun owners or those otherwise sympathetic to 2A... people not interested in or against something don't care for literature about it. The only people interested in taking literature when I was handing out stuff were already gun owners. How were those gun owners so condensed? The setup was in the Sportsman's building.

The problem isn't the marketing, it's the marketing budget. The left beats us over the head through radio and television. We need the support base to be able to do the same. If GOAL tripled its enrollment, it'd be possible.

Last edited:
Revelationechc:

I commend your enthusiasm.

I will say that I've done my own "informational" booths at local Concerts on the Green. Specifically, I had a table with a Club banner (an enlarged Club patch), some Outdoor Messages and tri-fold Club brochures.

There were a good number of other .orgs (churches, Historical Society, Democrats, Chiropracters, etc.) doing the same. Damn few stopped. A couple mothers actually covered their kids' eyes, and hustled them past. A couple of people expressed interest.

The real issue is that nobody cares, as it does not directly affect them. Few are Patriotic enough to step up to defend the rights of others, just becasue it's the right thing to do.

I will say that some of your handers-out will likely get negative comments from Antis, so they should be ready for them.

Best of luck

Mr. Wolf's comment is an important one - you have to know your facts, left, right and center, in both directions.

Period..

I know that in the OP, it said that the intent was to just pass out literature....but you will get questions....and you will be the Face of the Massachusetts Gun Owner.

Challenging someone on their area of expertise is an excellent way to shut them down. A co-worker was Witnessing to me, once, and I told him to come back when he could tell me Lot's wife's name.....

Can you tell me what the end goal is for these flyer/pamphlet distributions? It sounds like it is aimed at people who are already gun owners? As opposed to trying to reach people in the middle - the undecided/don't care demographic?

Despite what some people believe, there are a lot more people in the middle - apathetic about the issue or undecided - than there are against us. You won't reach those who are already against us (for the most part) and I'm not sure what catering to people who already support us accomplishes.

I'm not bashing - I am considering volunteering. I just would like to know the rationale behind catering to people who are already pro-2A.

Thanks.

That Guy,
Based on data provided to me, only about 10% of license holders are members of GOAL and far less than that are Comm2A donors. That being said, the end goal for this outreach is to get the base more involved and aware. We need a stronger foundation and network of the like-minded before we begin efforts at any form of "non" conversion.

Thanks for the interest, I hope you join us.

Not to play devil's advocate but I've seen some of the responses on this forums and have contemplated banging my head against a wall. If someone were to debate one of the people passing out flyers, could make us look like idiots.

+1. I cringe half the time I hear people trying to argue our side.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I am not a redneck. I can speak articulately on the subject. I hope to find others who can as well. Thus far, those that have volunteered appear to have this ability as well. It seems that several in this thread can too, please consider helping, or please come up with a better idea rather than crapping on this one.

How would you "go about this", I'd like help.

If the goal is to reach gun owners - why not pass out the info at club meetings? Not all gun owners belong to clubs but the ones who do are active (even if they are Fudds).

I don't have a problem passing info out at my club meeting (Monday is the next one) but would need to review anything I was given and print up a hundred or so copies.

Rev, Thanks for the activism and leadership! In addition to the flyers, Women on Target events, 1st Shots and the like are incredible public outreach programs. Hell, even having club members call their reps and senators during a club meeting is a powerful tool.At least you know the local pol is in fact getting constituent feedback.

Keep up the great work. Rep points inbound.

PM a few of the vendors on here... i'm sure they'll be willing to receive copies to keep at their place of business.

If the goal is to reach gun owners - why not pass out the info at club meetings? Not all gun owners belong to clubs but the ones who do are active (even if they are Fudds).

Keep in mind that club members have friends who aren't so at every step in the way you should encourage people to spread the word.

Volunteers, we are not going to hand out flyers tomorrow. Given the events of today, stay with your families. If you printed flyers already, please feel free to drop them off at shops if you can, but don't stay to hand them out. We'll reconvene after New Years. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom