3 gun bar bones equipment?

GunGrey

Banned
Theres a local match coming up, some friends and I are going to be shooting there. I have never done a match like this and don't want to spend a crap ton of money for something I might not do again.

To put it this way I dont plan on running and gunning I plan on going nice and easy.

I just planned on sticking the AR mags in one back pocket and the pistol mags in the other. For the shotgun shells i really have no idea what to do with them.

any advice

Given the information you've given, the bare minimum you should have is at least a bandolier to hold shot shells. If the position is fairly consistent, you have a chance of loading fairly smoothly.
If you like the game, there are many options on equipment.
Where is the match?

I have a shoot coming up. I am just using my dump pouch from duck hunting. I'm not a great shot at the high blackies, so I am ok with reloading from a bag.

My guess is that Yes, you will shoot more marches:) Look at what people use and ask some questions.

The first 3gun I attended, I didn't even shoot. I helped paste targets and reset steel. If you're helping out, you're not in the way and people always want to talk equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you hunt at all, you may have some stuff that will work. My partner is using one of my old bird vests. We got it set up with rifle mags in left pocket, shotshells in right pocket and 4 pistol mags on right shoulder strap and bird bag as a dump pouch.

I am gonna run with my IPSC belt, thigh rig for rifle mags and two dump pouches, right side for shotshells and behind for dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Theres a local match coming up, some friends and I are going to be shooting there. I have never done a match like this and don't want to spend a crap ton of money for something I might not do again.

To put it this way I dont plan on running and gunning I plan on going nice and easy.

I just planned on sticking the AR mags in one back pocket and the pistol mags in the other. For the shotgun shells i really have no idea what to do with them.

any advice

Here is your advice. I haven't shot a 3 gun yet (though i really want to), but I have the only advice you need. And I GUARANTEE no one will argue with it.

Go with the flow, do -not- have any preconceptions other than that you will have fun.

Do this and you will have a good day.

As an amusing aside, a couple teams in the run-n-gun this past weekend ran their first stage. Ran it, hustled and tried for time. Their second round they walked and waited for each other (literally). 1 team started stages FOR the other team. Their result was their second run time was *1* minute slower than their first pass, where they RAN. The assumption is because they felt no pressure, were having more fun and as a result they utterly destroyed the shooting stages.

The first 3 gun match I did, my Remington 870 Express malfunctioned. It would feed 2 shells from the mag instead of 1. (i wonder why, 10 years duck hunting on salt water and its never been detail cleaned)

I ended up finishing the match loading shells one at a time through the ejection port. Ooops.

is there a 3 gun specific forum to NES? lists matches and members who are into it?

There is not.
3 gun matches in New England are very scarce. New Bedford has put 1 on each year in the fall. Other clubs may have some sort of 3 gun, but, if you want something along the lines of 3 Gun Nation or other major matches, you need to travel.

Anybody use a riggers belt?

I was thinking about getting one and throwing some kydex mag holders on it. I dont want to go full blown warbelt or battlebelt or whatever we are calling them.

Any belt is okay, the stiffer the better. If you use leather, make sure it's two layers. All the stuff on the belt makes it sag badly. If you want to get serious, Safariland ELS system is the way to go. Quick, easy change of pouches, shell caddies, etc.

The wilderness system works adequately and it can be used as a carry belt.

I wear mine almost every day. Even if I'm not carrying. I don't even wear a leather belt anymore unless I'm wearing a tucked in shirt.

Back
Top Bottom