.308 Semi - Mass. Legal?

KMM696

NES Member
So, I'm looking for what the next (non-impulse) purchase is going to be, and immediately ran into the wonderful world of PRofMA gun laws.

What is available here in the Commonwealth for semi-auto 308 rifles? At least for current, in production stuff. Is there anything? If there is, can I get magazines for it?

Or is the easier option moving?
[frown]

Any long arm is legal to sell and possess in MA as long as it meets the criteria for the MA AWB. That means no flash suppressor, not bayo lug, no new hi-cap mags. If I were to buy a new 308 semi right now, it would an M1A, as you USGI, pre-ban hi-cap mags can be had with minimal effort.

I believe Armalite's AR10s are OK if you like the AR platform. They use Altered M14 mags and I think Armalite sells the kits to modify them yourself if you want to.

03C..

Any long arm is legal to sell and possess in MA as long as it meets the criteria for the MA AWB. That means no flash suppressor, not bayo lug, no new hi-cap mags. If I were to buy a new 308 semi right now, it would an M1A, as you USGI, pre-ban hi-cap mags can be had with minimal effort.

Just want to point out that you can have a bayo lug or a flash hider on an assault weapon as long as you get rid of another evil feature.

EX. If you buy an AR10 you can get rid of the pistol grip and put on a flash hider. Not that it makes much sense to do so IMO.

Actually, the AWB is a little more specific. The definition:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

- Folding or telescoping stock
- Conspicuous pistol grip
- Bayonet mount
- Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
- Grenade launcher

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

- Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
- Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or silencer
- Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
- Unloaded weight of 50 oz or more
- A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock

- Pistol grip
- Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
- Detachable magazine

So, by definition you CAN have a rifle with a flash suppressor or bayonet lug, but not both - there have to be a least two of the "evil characteristics" present for it to be a so-called assault weapon. Also, if it was manufactured before the ban went into effect, it is good to go.

I had forgotten about Armalite....that's my next stop.

I was looking at Springfields site, and couldn't find any definite information on whether they sell a Mass allowed configuration. I would assume that any of the models with the traditional flash suppressor or regular front sight would be out because of the bayonet lug and evil suppressor. The muzzle stabilizers or brakes that they advertise would have to be permanent to qualify for MA, right?

Based on what I can see, the M25 or either of the SOCOM variants would be closest to ban config - if the brake could be permanant. Anyone bought a new M1A lately?

I had forgotten the "2 or more" rule...

So an M1A with either a lug or a threaded suppressor, but not both, would be allowed.

And the AR10, because of the pistol grip, would be allowed in the AR10T, with no suppressor, threading or lug.

Same with Rock River's LAR-8 Varmint, if it ever sees production.

Last edited:
I just bought a new Armalite AR10A4 two months ago and it is the best rifle I've ever owned. Carl at Four Seasons ordered it for me at a very competitive price. Mags are not cheap but available. If your going to spend the $ get the A4 flattop so you can mount the scope nice and low. It will provide many wide grins.

And don't forget that in other non-ban configurations like FAL's and even M1A's would be legal if they fall under the pre-ban law.
Mfg. before the ban and in MA etc.... Whatever the legal stuff is!

I love .308 rifles it's all I own. I will not buy a .223 it's just my own personal agenda. (sp)

FAL's and M1A's run about 1000. to 1500. depending on the config.
Saiga also makes a 308 for less than half that price.
Come in to Zero Hour and check some out so you could see what you might like to get in the future.

I had forgotten about Armalite....that's my next stop.

I had an AR10A2 and it was a great rifle,recoil is minimal, but it was very picky about surplus ammo. I had some Venezualan (sorry for spelling) 7.62 that would not feed reliably, then I bought a decent supply of Olin-Winchester 7.62 at Pheasant Ridge and it gobbled that stuff down without a hitch. I only sold it because I needed cash to finance another purchace..

And don't forget that in other non-ban configurations like FAL's and even M1A's would be legal if they fall under the pre-ban law.
Mfg. before the ban and in MA etc.... Whatever the legal stuff is!

I love .308 rifles it's all I own. I will not buy a .223 it's just my own personal agenda. (sp)

FAL's and M1A's run about 1000. to 1500. depending on the config.
Saiga also makes a 308 for less than half that price.
Come in to Zero Hour and check some out so you could see what you might like to get in the future.

Zero Hour is one of those stores I've wanted to get to, but it's not exactly local to Worthington. I'll have to stop by at the next Big E show - as I recall there were a bunch of 308s there, that I paid no attention to at the time.

DPMS is listing the Panther in 308, and if their website is any indication they have enough manufacturing flexibility to set one up for Mass. At least there are options out there....

I believe Collectors Gallery in Stoneham had a DPMS .308 last time I was in there. Might be worth a look at the website.

Do pre-ban semiauto FAL receivers even exist?

They do, but they're as expensive as hell, as you would expect. Post ban FALs can be found, you just have to make sure the "evil feature" rule is not violated. DS Arms sold alot of their FALs wth a muzzle break in place of a flash supressor, and since it didn't have a bayonet lug, grenade launcher or folding stock, it was MA-OK.

I got my STG-58 (a DS Arms receiver matched up to Austrian Steyr parts) from Collectors in Stoneham a couple of years ago. They even let me put it on hold until Tax-Free weekend, and let me pick it up then.

With good handloads and my 20x Super Sniper scope, it will hold 5-shot 1" groups at 100 yards.

$350 and I just put an original Russian Saiga Dragunov style stock on it today for using a POSP scope.

Saiga308.jpg

The shorter barreled models I heard are more accurate but this one is just fine for range blasting which is what I'll be doing with it.

Zero Hour is one of those stores I've wanted to get to, but it's not exactly local to Worthington. I'll have to stop by at the next Big E show - as I recall there were a bunch of 308s there, that I paid no attention to at the time.

DPMS is listing the Panther in 308, and if their website is any indication they have enough manufacturing flexibility to set one up for Mass. At least there are options out there....

Worthington is closer to Adams and in that case, head to Pete's Gun Shop. He has a load of .308's and even ClassIII. Not too shabby. I can't recommend an M1A enough. Any rifle Springfield Armory sells, is in MA compliance.

I just bought a new Armalite AR10A4 two months ago and it is the best rifle I've ever owned. Carl at Four Seasons ordered it for me at a very competitive price. Mags are not cheap but available. If your going to spend the $ get the A4 flattop so you can mount the scope nice and low. It will provide many wide grins.

Would you mind giving a ballpark price of what it cost you?

Make it a short barrel rifle, pay $200 tax, and have all the evil features you want.

For all the price and BS you could probably just buy a preban M1A, or at
least a pre-ban receiver.

And the SBR thing is grey legal area at best, WRT it exempting the gun
from the MA AWB.

Note: I'm not saying making SBRs is a bad idea, but I don't think doing it
for the sake of trying to exploit an ultra obscure, unclean loophole in the
MA AWB, is a smart idea.

-Mike

An M1A is at the top of my wish list.

My biggest dilemma is which one.

I could go with the standard, but I can be pretty anal about accuracy and would gladly put out the extra cash for a Super Match or even a National Match if I could afford it.

An M1A is at the top of my wish list.

My biggest dilemma is which one.

I could go with the standard, but I can be pretty anal about accuracy and would gladly put out the extra cash for a Super Match or even a National Match if I could afford it.

I'd go with the Standard - if for no other reason than ammo sensitivity. The NM/SM and even the Loaded Standards can be picky with ammo, (nothing that can't be tuned). I have a SOCOM and love it, but if I had my druthers, I'd have a Scout. Loses nothing in accuracy out to say 5-600 and is handy to boot. Hell, if I really had my druthers, I'd have all 3 - maybe 4.... [wink]

I'd go with the Standard - if for no other reason than ammo sensitivity. The NM/SM and even the Loaded Standards can be picky with ammo, (nothing that can't be tuned). I have a SOCOM and love it, but if I had my druthers, I'd have a Scout. Loses nothing in accuracy out to say 5-600 and is handy to boot. Hell, if I really had my druthers, I'd have all 3 - maybe 4.... [wink]

What's the sensitivity issue? Feeding and or failure to extract? I'm betting the NM/SM have really tight match chambers.

The Standard is nice and would satisfy my urge for a little while, but I look at it as standing on the showroom floor looking at Mustangs and trying to decide between a base model Mustang and a Shelby. Both are nice in their own right, but if I bought the Mustang, I know I'd be kicking myself in the ass later for not going with the Shelby.

What's the sensitivity issue? Feeding and or failure to extract? I'm betting the NM/SM have really tight match chambers.

The Standard is nice and would satisfy my urge for a little while, but I look at it as standing on the showroom floor looking at Mustangs and trying to decide between a base model Mustang and a Shelby. Both are nice in their own right, but if I bought the Mustang, I know I'd be kicking myself in the ass later for not going with the Shelby.

I hear ya, (read ya) - there's nothing quite like shooting a National Match - especially one that's finely tuned. I fired a NM that was running on an SAI receiver and sporting all USGI Springfield Armory guts. We were firing handloaded match ammo, (loaded by a guy who loaded it for a living in the Army) It was stunning to shoot and heavy as hell, (copper tubes full of lead in the buttstock). It was one of the finest rifles I'v e ever shot. Like winding a Swiss watch or driving a Ferrari - just this whole perfection about it....

I hear ya, (read ya) - there's nothing quite like shooting a National Match - especially one that's finely tuned. I fired a NM that was running on an SAI receiver and sporting all USGI Springfield Armory guts. We were firing handloaded match ammo, (loaded by a guy who loaded it for a living in the Army) It was stunning to shoot and heavy as hell, (copper tubes full of lead in the buttstock). It was one of the finest rifles I'v e ever shot. Like winding a Swiss watch or driving a Ferrari - just this whole perfection about it....

I could go for that , but then deciding on the color/body options would drive me nuts... hand-rubbed, hand-picked walnut? (wood is good [smile] )... woodland camo or tiger-stripe on fiberglass? Too many choices... I need to hit Ma$$ Ca$h to satisfy my needs. [smile]

I could go for that , but then deciding on the color/body options would drive me nuts... hand-rubbed, hand-picked walnut? (wood is good [smile] )... woodland camo or tiger-stripe on fiberglass? Too many choices... I need to hit Ma$$ Ca$h to satisfy my needs. [smile]

Don't I know it...Ever since I bought and especially fired my first M1A last year, (My SOCOM-16) - I have been bitten by this bug to have more of them. Never have I wanted more than one of the same rifle. If I had the dough, I'd literally have one of each rifle they offer - I love them that much.....

I hit the MegaMillions, your first SuperMatch is on me.... [smile]

AR10A4 about $1600 after all said and done. I think the DPMS at Collector's was~$1000 but I think it was used. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom