• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock switch. How do you legally own one?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
Assuming you have a state class iii, how does that work with a Glock switch or an AR part?

If you convert your semi into an auto, do you go through the same process as if you are buying an intact machine gun? Do you need to do the whole process before buying or printing the part?

I think that even if you have a class iii, you have to get permission from your local chief, then apply for the $200 tax stamp, get the fed ok, then buy.

And are these parts reliable, or are they fragile kluges to adapt semis to auto functioning?

become a FFL 07 SOT, a ton of paperwork, a ton of kissing ass, and a lot of aggravation for very little gain

Oh you'll need to be in a commercially zoned area etc etc etc

You'll quickly tire of loading those 33 round magazines too

IIRC with an 07FFL you can own post samples. With a class 2/sot you can manufacture. There's more to it politically, it helps if you're actually an armorer for a PD and have political clout in your community. I believe there are no pre-GCA Glocks. There might be a unicorn transferable Glock 18 out there but good luck with that.

I mean how much trouble can you really get in even if you get caught with one? Those dude’s in Longmeadow got off pretty easy with all they had….

IIRC with an 07FFL you can own post samples. With a class 2/sot you can manufacture. There's more to it politically, it helps if you're actually an armorer for a PD and have political clout in your community. I believe there are no pre-GCA Glocks. There might be a unicorn transferable Glock 18 out there but good luck with that.
Getting a "demo request letter" from even a very friendly department is unlikely unless you have a VERY close connection, and event then can be risky. An 07 allows manufacturer of guns, the SOT allows NFA items to be manufactured as well.

There was a recent federal indictment of an FFL/FOT and a police chief in the news recently with the alleged offense being the issuance of a demo letter where the real purpose was to help a buddy of the chief get a post sample, not actually demo to the department.

Getting a "demo request letter" from even a very friendly department is unlikely unless you have a VERY close connection, and event then can be risky. An 07 allows manufacturer of guns, the SOT allows NFA items to be manufactured as well.

There was a recent federal indictment of an FFL/FOT and a police chief in the news recently with the alleged offense being the issuance of a demo letter where the real purpose was to help a buddy of the chief get a post sample, not actually demo to the department.
Yup. And Larry Vickers just plead guilty to this.

I mean how much trouble can you really get in even if you get caught with one? Those dude’s in Longmeadow got off pretty easy with all they had….
If you're a white conservative, they will send you away for a very long time. The feds are serious about full auto stuff.

If you're a Democrat, it's not a big deal.

Yup. And Larry Vickers just plead guilty to this.
Interesting story.
I recall that name.
He's a bigtime gun dude, I can see why they wanted to erase him, just like all the others they have erased.

Interesting story.
I recall that name.
He's a bigtime gun dude, I can see why they wanted to erase him, just like all the others they have erased.
What Larry Vickers did was a clear violation of the law. While I think the NFA is nonsense, it wasn't like what he did was a grey area. What he did was clearly illegal and he got caught. PSGWSP, all so that he could have more content for YouTube.

It's not risky at all if you actually demo the guns.
People are getting lazy, and paying the price for it.

6ba656c804dc98dd95e6f02a93626c73.jpg

Interesting story.
I recall that name.

There's no conspiracy here, he got sloppy and paid the price. The law is shit but you can't be that visible and be that far out of federal compliance and hide it forever.

It's not risky at all if you actually demo the guns.
People are getting lazy, and paying the price for it.
Not always the case.

First off, I don't think there is a provision in the law that a demo must happen - only that the PD request one. The BATFE was enforcing the "intent" that it be for an "actual demo" - not just that the checklist of what the law requires be satisfied.

The BATFE has come down hard on people following the letter, but not the intent, of the law. It does not take an Inspector Clouseau to tell if a demo request is real, by checking out a few things:
- Did the demo happen?
- Were people attending the demo on paid time?
- Does the vendor have any history of actually selling MGs to dept after demo?
- Did the PD eventually by MG(s), either the the demonstrator in question or another vendor?
....etc

Look at the Maadi-Griffin case. Bob Steward had a felony conviction for a previous gun offense (some consider a setup), so he pivoted to selling 50BMG kits that met the letter of the law. The BATFE said "stop", Steward responded with something like "I will continue to follow the law", and was prosecuted and convicted because the BATFE declared his kits to be firearms.

It amazes me, the arrogance of the chiefs who do this for their friends and don’t even hold the demo, or leave a records track showing it was fraudulent. If they just held the demo (if the FFL is buying Mags, they can fund a small range day) and restricted written records to shown interest in the item.

Rob Boudrie said:
First off, I don't think there is a provision in the law that a demo must happen - only that the PD request one. The BATFE was enforcing the "intent" that it be for an "actual demo" - not just that the checklist of what the law requires be satisfied.

But the demo’s occurrence could either help or hurt “intent”.

Even Jesus got busted with one, right before Christmas.

”The problem is acute in Washington, D.C., where police say the growing number of Glock switches contributed to the city’s 274 homicides last year, the most since 1997. While the number of shootings was 9% above the average for the prior three years, the number resulting in death was 22% higher, Police Chief Pamela Smith said at a recent city council hearing.”

HeyJackass statistics show a small rise in % shot & killed over the same time period. Unless there’s some reason why gangbangers in Chicago can’t get Glocks switches but those in DC can, I call bullshit.

2023 - 18.7%
2022 - 18.5%
2021 - 17.6%
2020 - 17.3%

”Nationwide, alerts for automatic gunfire last year rose 97% from 2021 across 127 jurisdictions with gunshot detection technology, according to SoundThinking, the company behind the technology. SoundThinking, formerly known as ShotSpotter, said it received 9,683 alerts for automatic gunfire in those jurisdictions last year, with a total of 98,031 rounds fired.”

…which works out to ~10rd fired per incident of automatic gunfire. Must be those hi-capacity magazine bans are working! I call bullshit, again.

Not always the case.

The BATFE has come down hard on people following the letter, but not the intent, of the law. It does not take an Inspector Clouseau to tell if a demo request is real, by checking out a few things:
- Did the demo happen?
- Were people attending the demo on paid time?
- Does the vendor have any history of actually selling MGs to dept after demo?
- Did the PD eventually by MG(s), either the the demonstrator in question or another vendor?
....etc

Look at the Maadi-Griffin case. Bob Steward had a felony conviction for a previous gun offense (some consider a setup), so he pivoted to selling 50BMG kits that met the letter of the law. The BATFE said "stop", Steward responded with something like "I will continue to follow the law", and was prosecuted and convicted because the BATFE declared his kits to be firearms.

I don't think in most cases that it's that detailed unless there comes a perceived need to dig. I think the problem is appearances.... if you have 10 demo letters from Chief Businblah but casual investigation determined that ZERO those ever even happened, then they're going to go out and dig deeper. A lot deeper. Tons of 07s have LE demo guns and have no issues, it's not rocket science. IMHO the only reason LAV ever got clapped is because BATFE is on the lookout after a small handful of shitty 07s in the past decade have been doing their best to, well, rape the goose that laid the golden egg, namely WRT the abuse of the provision that lets you easily flip post-86 DS if you're "closing your business". Those dinkbags have caused a lot of problems.

If you claim to run d&p shows, but you don't have any live action pics of your animals like this around then it appears as a sham..... 🤣

4317913 (1).jpg

Depends on what u got. If u have never been arrested b4 and own a house and have a bank account then they love that and will drag u across the coals. If ur already a career felon who lives in Section 8 housing w/ no bank account and no pot to piss in, then u will probably b released the same day. Our judicial system is based on 1 thing, what they can bilk u out of financially

Back
Top Bottom