.308 vs .30-06

All,

I am looking to find a long range rifle with certain specs and am having little trouble finding it, so I thought I’d throw it out for some input.

Specifically, a .30-06 bolt action w/ a 24-26” bbl, detachable magazine, and medium bull barrel. Essentially, I want something that can reach way out there, in a very versatile caliber, and has a barrel that won’t melt down when I go to range for a few hours of shooting (my post ’64 Model 70 just isn't cutting it).

I like the FN PSR a lot but it is not available in .30-06. Remington has a few Model 700’s, Savages -- but not I am not finding them in '06. Of course, they have a plethora of options if I go with .308.

Recommendations or comments on the .308 vs .30-06?

There isn't much that a .30-06 can do nowadays that a .308 can't do, especially if you handload. And if you do, the cost savings on powder alone between the charge weights of the two can add up significantly if you go with the .308. A lot of people, myself included, prefer the shorter action of the .308 and the lighter weight rifles available for it.

Zappa's right. The .308 and 30-06 have such similar performance that you'll never notice the difference...except for cost and having a short-action gun.

For long range, more important than velocity is the bullet's B.C., and the high B.C. bullets are long and need a healthy rate of twist. I used to compete with a 30-06 at 1,000 yards(I'm in CA about to move to MA[sad2]) and we ALL shot the 175gr Sierra MatchKing. My 30-06 had no advantage over the .308 guys.

Savage makes one in .30-06:

116fss.jpg

It's probably a tossup depending on what you are doing.

If you're reloading your own ammo, and shooting head to head at very long ranges, the 06 is capable of significantly less wind drift than the .308. With factory ammo much less so. I looked at the Federal website and they load a 175gr. Sierra Matchking in the .308, but in the 30-06 they only have 168gr. Matchkings and those are only 50 fps faster than the .308 load.

With handloads you can put a lot more powder behind a much heavier bullet in the 06 and get significantly better performance. The .308 will shoot monotonously small groups all the way to 1000 yards or more with the right ammo and rifle, but will get blown around by cross winds more.

B

I went thru the same descision recently, my reccomendation is to find a rifle you like first. In my case it was only available in short action ie. my new .308

You can get 30-06 from CMP for under 30 cents a round. .308 goes for 50 cents minimum.

Thanks for all the feedback – it’s helpful. The only other info I can add to my usage is that this will be a hunter as well - from woodchucks to elk - which is part of why I’m looking for long range and the cartridge’s versatility. Some of what I’ve read suggest that .308 might be a but light for the later, deepening on distance. I do reload, so I have that covered.

USMA-82 - if you can find me a Solothurn in the back of a magazine for $190 and rounds for $0.75 ea, I'd buy two (I gotta keep the pigs fed after all)!

The 30-06 is capable of higher velocities with all bullet weights. It is far more common on the shelves of retailers. The .308 Win. in my region is not a very popular chambering and is rarely seen on used gun racks. Having said that the .308 is a superb cartridge. Find the rifle you want and get the best deal. If the model you favour is not available in 06, you sure won't be ill served by a .308, you have a delightful dilemma. Best of luck in your search.

If you reload have you considered the 260 Remington? Not quite as effective as .308 up close, but is far more accurate and hits harder at a distance. You did say you intend this rifle for things that are far away, right?

Do you care if it's a short or long action? If you'd rather have a short action, the .308 is a fine long range round. The USMC Sniper's M40 Sniper Weapon System is a .308 and I've seen plenty of guys hitting at 1,000 yards with it. Just make sure you get a 10" twist so it will stabilize the Sierra 175gr MatchKing.

If you reload have you considered the 260 Remington? Not quite as effective as .308 up close, but is far more accurate and hits harder at a distance. You did say you intend this rifle for things that are far away, right?

Yes, I will use it at longer ranges and hunting - that's why I would like to stick w/ a .30 cal round.

Follow-up: I finally got what I wanted!

So, having sent letters to FN, Remington, and Savage and searched countless manufacturers for over 5 months in pursuit of “my” rifle, I received ONE response – a phone call from Savage.

Savage is building me a slightly modified version of their Model 110 FCP: basically drop the muzzle brake and make it in .30-06. Maybe I’m over-anxious, crazy…but I think that’s pretty damn kool, simple as it may be. All for $40 more than the standard model's MSRP.

Specs:
Base Model: Model 110 FCP
Caliber: .30-06 Springfield
Stock: AccuStock™
Barrel: 24” (no muzzle break)
Magazine: Detachable Box
Other Stuff: AccuTrigger™, matte blued barrel action, heavy free-floating button-rifled barrel, detachable box magazine swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle.

Great service and a “no problem” attitude, Savage has a customer for life!

Now to find the right scope….

I'm sure you will be happy. Their guns shoot fantastic and the action is very versatile with a replaceable bolt head and easy to change barrels.

B

Follow-up: I finally got what I wanted!

So, having sent letters to FN, Remington, and Savage and searched countless manufacturers for over 5 months in pursuit of “my” rifle, I received ONE response – a phone call from Savage.

Savage is building me a slightly modified version of their Model 110 FCP: basically drop the muzzle brake and make it in .30-06. Maybe I’m over-anxious, crazy…but I think that’s pretty damn kool, simple as it may be. All for $40 more than the standard model's MSRP.

Specs:
Base Model: Model 110 FCP
Caliber: .30-06 Springfield
Stock: AccuStock™
Barrel: 24” (no muzzle break)
Magazine: Detachable Box
Other Stuff: AccuTrigger™, matte blued barrel action, heavy free-floating button-rifled barrel, detachable box magazine swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle.

Great service and a “no problem” attitude, Savage has a customer for life!

Now to find the right scope….

You won't be dissapointed.

When you get the rifle let us know how the accustock is. I had a rifle on order but gave up on it because they had not started making them yet.

Will do. By the way, to you other question, 35 days to go (they quoted about 6 weeks). I'll start calling my dealer regularly at about week three...

Realized I never posted this pic. Absolutely love this gun and Savage has been GREAT to deal with. Recoil paid is a bit odd (feels/looks flimsy), but is very effective at reducing felt recoil – I would have no issue shooting this all day.

The scope I ended up putting on it is a Burris XTR 3-12 x 50 with Burris XTR rings and bases. If I did it again I would probaly go w/ the 10p fixed XTR instead.

While not something I would want to carry in the woods all day (abt 13 lbs), I did use this year in South Carolina for deer (ahh, the beauty of hunting from a stand!).

Attachments

• Savage_Rt.jpg
    Savage_Rt.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 46
I'm interested in a similar rifle, but left handed. Apparently the AccuStock is not being offered in the LH models yet. Anyone know if that will change?

Savage's web site lists the 16/116 FLHSS and the 10 FLCP-K as lefty Accustocks, but I haven't confirmed that they're actually available yet (didn't see any on Gunsamerica/Gunbroker). Maybe they're waiting to use up the old style left hand stocks.

That 10FLCP-K is tempting, too......

Back
Top Bottom